Are we kidding ourselves ?

bristolman

We have been back in the UK since April and we find it expensive compared to 2011 (when we left) and to Australia. However, our comparison isn't on the exchange rate as we look at how many minutes/hours, etc it would take to buy an item and for us Australia was/is always cheaper.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have been back in the UK since April and we find it expensive compared to 2011 (when we left) and to Australia. However, our comparison isn't on the exchange rate as we look at how many minutes/hours, etc it would take to buy an item and for us Australia was/is always cheaper.

That's interesting as we have been back since 2012 and definitely find things cheaper here compared to Australia, in real terms not using a current exchange rate. Australia always used to be cheaper a decade or so ago but that has reversed FOR US.

That's interesting as we have been back since 2012 and definitely find things cheaper here compared to Australia, in real terms not using a current exchange rate. Australia always used to be cheaper a decade or so ago but that has reversed FOR US.

I expect if we had the same money coming into our house here that we had in Australia, I would think it was extremely cheap here too but the reality is we had a lot more disposable cash in Australia than here and that is all I can base my comparison on but that is our personal situation and may not reflect anyone else's.

I expect if we had the same money coming into our house here that we had in Australia, I would think it was extremely cheap here too but the reality is we had a lot more disposable cash in Australia than here and that is all I can base my comparison on but that is our personal situation and may not reflect anyone else's.

Indeed yes if as you say you are earning more in Australia the situation would be very different ours.

Thats strange as inflation has been almost zero the last decade, I actually think it is cheaper food wise due to the rise of aldi and lidel, the big supermarkets are seeing massive loss in profits as they try to compete.

High street price cuts deepened last month as fresh food costs dropped at the fastest pace for at least eight years, according to industry figures that will reinforce expectations the UK is headed for a brief period of deflation.

The British Retail Consortium reported deflation in overall shop prices for the 22nd consecutive month, as prices in February fell 1.7% on a year ago. That followed deflation of 1.3% in January.

Non-food products again drove the overall drop, helped by clothes discounts and special offers on furniture and DIY items, the BRC said. Non-food items were down 2.5% on the year, the biggest drop for eight months.

Food prices also fell in February, signalling a change of trend after they had risen throughout much of last year. In February, they were down 0.4% against a backdrop of falling commodity prices, such as sugar and corn, and as a price war between supermarkets continues.

Almost two years of falling shop prices

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/mar/04/uk-shop-price-deflation-deepens-as-food-costs-fall

069847ae-9c7e-447b-8211-5cba82676935-bestSizeAvailable.png?w=300&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&

Just because they tell you it is nearly 0% doesn't mean it is true... If you do a little more research you will find inflation data has changed in recent years and uses CPI now rather than RPI, it is a whole new set of data and if it was still based on RPI inflation would be a lot higher and more realistic to what is really happening. As my dad once told me, don't believe everything you read in newspapers.

Just because they tell you it is nearly 0% doesn't mean it is true... If you do a little more research you will find inflation data has changed in recent years and uses CPI now rather than RPI, it is a whole new set of data and if it was still based on RPI inflation would be a lot higher and more realistic to what is really happening. As my dad once told me, don't believe everything you read in newspapers.

I must admit we are finding lots of things, especially groceries, dropping in price. My car insurance just keeps getting cheaper as well lol. A decade or so ago there is no way I would ever have thought that the UK would be cheaper than Australia but it is certainly what we are finding.

I must admit we are finding lots of things, especially groceries, dropping in price. My car insurance just keeps getting cheaper as well lol. A decade or so ago there is no way I would ever have thought that the UK would be cheaper than Australia but it is certainly what we are finding.

I have been asking some friends what they think of prices here and the general consensus seems to be that prices dropped whilst we were away but are definitely now rising again. I don't personally know about that we can only compare to before. My car insurance in 2015 for a 5 year old Corsa is more expensive than what I paid for a 5 year old Audi A4 in 2011 (both full no claims).

Yes you are! (in my humble opinion)

forget the peripheries, what are the biggest expenses in life?

1. House

2. Car

3. Fuel

4. Food

1. OZ 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 lounge, double garage, big garden, 200m2 living, walk to Indian Ocean , pool = £250,000 . UK 3 bed, 1 bath, single garage, small block, 1200m living at a push (and that's an older house which have much bigger spaces than new ones = £375,000

2. New Honda crv Oz £17,000, Uk £34,000

3. Petrol / diesel is half in oz

4. Food, not a great deal in it

eating out is too subjective to bring into it

gst 10% vat 20%

dont even get me started on the rip life uk pensions versus Australian superannuation.

Just add add to that I earned more than 3 times in $ what I do in £

i could go on all day, I have no problem with people preferring to live in the uk over oz, but tha fact is the standard of living here is

way lower than Australia. I would have to be a millionaire in Souter. England to have what we had in Perth.

Hi Toussaint, would you be able to supply me with some documented proof for a Honda CRV at the price you quote (in Australia) because my wife is in the market for one at the moment and we would travel a long way for one at that money, we are talking about a new one, right?

Hi Toussaint, would you be able to supply me with some documented proof for a Honda CRV at the price you quote (in Australia) because my wife is in the market for one at the moment and we would travel a long way for one at that money, we are talking about a new one, right?

I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for that to be honest. You might possibly find an ex demo of the old model.

I have been asking some friends what they think of prices here and the general consensus seems to be that prices dropped whilst we were away but are definitely now rising again. I don't personally know about that we can only compare to before. My car insurance in 2015 for a 5 year old Corsa is more expensive than what I paid for a 5 year old Audi A4 in 2011 (both full no claims).

Well food prices are certainly continuing to fall, my wife was only saying last night how it seems to have fully reversed. Years ago just about everything was cheaper in Australia but now it seems to be the other way around. Insurance is a funny one, my renewal was over £200, so I did a bit of shopping and got it for £155 from LV. The highest quote I had was over a grand. Shop around you might be surprised.

would not hold your breath mate.

The 2015 Honda CR-V Series II range has arrived in Australian showrooms with an expanded front-wheel-drive range, tweaked exterior styling and new technology, while retaining the pricing of the model it replaces.

Previously only available in entry-level VTi specification, the 114kW/190Nm 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine and front-wheel-drive drivetrain is now available in all three trim grades: $27,490 VTi manual and $29,790 auto, $33,290 VTi-S auto and $39,290 VTi-L auto (all prices before on-road costs).

Not sure where in Aus you are but this place on the Gold Coast has them for the money Toussaint quoted , if your not near here you could search for a dealer nearer to you

http://www.honda.com.au/offers.html

Cal x

UK on the up? Are you mad?? People return to U.K for all sorts of reasons and few years ago, i considered it. Many reasons i see when people return is they do not give it enough time here to settle and establish roots, do not network properly, do not research and also, do not have enough determination..............

I have been here since 2006, have had tough first 3 years here, but now......... i work in mining earning 188,000 dollars a year.

I have a lovely detached house in Cairns, by the beach (barrier reef....) double garage, 2 BMWs, a classic motorcycle, about to buy Dodge Viper (American muscle car...)

Not a bloody chance i could have this in U.K. Not by a long way.

Australia is not perfect, is not a country that gives opportunity on a plate, but........ it can offer opportunities to many people from all walks of life far more than the U.K can. By a country mile.

I have returned to visit U.K couple times and enjoyed it, but...... i always see the reminders why i left. Australia is my home. My heart lives here and it is an amazing country of diverse areas, cultures, ways of life and OPPORTUNITY.

UK on the up? Are you mad?? People return to U.K for all sorts of reasons and few years ago, i considered it. Many reasons i see when people return is they do not give it enough time here to settle and establish roots, do not network properly, do not research and also, do not have enough determination..............

I have been here since 2006, have had tough first 3 years here, but now......... i work in mining earning 188,000 dollars a year.

I have a lovely detached house in Cairns, by the beach (barrier reef....) double garage, 2 BMWs, a classic motorcycle, about to buy Dodge Viper (American muscle car...)

Australia is not perfect, is not a country that gives opportunity on a plate, but........ it can offer opportunities to many people from all walks of life far more than the U.K can. By a country mile.

I have returned to visit U.K couple times and enjoyed it, but...... i always see the reminders why i left. Australia is my home. My heart lives here and it is an amazing country of diverse areas, cultures, ways of life and OPPORTUNITY.

Look ok it's just that a few years ago the economy here was better , mining doing well , more jobs , so people prospered then . It's different now, less jobs hence less opportunities , increased house prices and mining boom over .

People made contacts during the good times but for people coming now they have fewer contacts , no Australian experience in now a tight job market . UK economy is booming compared to here . I already had it all in the UK and I didn't need to come here to get it . That damn bloody sun :) grass hasn't been greener for us noway ! I'm glad for those it's been good for ! But your salary you are stating are you really really happy to be working away in the mines for so called good money as you think to be living away from home ! Whatever blows your frock up :)

Look ok it's just that a few years ago the economy here was better , mining doing well , more jobs , so people prospered then . It's different now, less jobs hence less opportunities , increased house prices and mining boom over .

People made contacts during the good times but for people coming now they have fewer contacts , no Australian experience in now a tight job market . UK economy is booming compared to here . I already had it all in the UK and I didn't need to come here to get it . That damn bloody sun :) grass hasn't been greener for us noway ! I'm glad for those it's been good for ! But your salary you are stating are you really really happy to be working away in the mines for so called good money as you think to be living away from home ! Whatever blows your frock up :)

Hell yes i am happier. (i dont wear a frock hahaha) With my bonus it almost 200k ayear.

Now, my motivator is not money. Hell, i had it tight here as well as back in blighty. Have had good and then bad.

Here in 2008 when GFC kicked in i suffered (was mining contractor and ABN for Training/Assesment for mining and also for transport training.)

Was a month away from losing my house. Was to the wire........... its the 2nd mining dip since i have been here and i am still here. :-) a boom will arise again because same was said last time on the 1st crash. And ..... we had another boom. Now a crash........ and it will rise again.

I am in a secure mine with BHP. An Assest mine. Still taking on people to bring crew numbers up.

House prices not going up everywhere.......... Australia is having a dip as it rode the storm of previous few year. But....... opportunity exist here. Far more than U.K. You must be seeing with a closed mind and eyes shut.

I LOVE what i do in mining. I stay away for 2 weeks but home for one week too. I also have paid holiday so if i take a swing off (2 weeks) i have a month off :-) I have 4 weeks holiday a year. So i do have quality time at home. Also, there re flexible rosters with BHP and an example are 2 crew members that alternate rosters, eg work for 2 weeks, week off then roster 2 week off then week off then return fpr 2 weeks. Or there is a 2 week on roster then 2 week off roster. 100k for working 6 months a year.......

Just because mining boom over does not mean its ended. Does not mean mining ended. Does not mean mining jobs not available. It means the lazy and half motivated/driven whinging people have to try harder.......

I had it tough here, but i fought for what i wanted and have a lifestyle and future that suits my wife and i to a tee. Like i said, nearly lost it all in GFC 2008 crash but i turned it around. I appreciate what i have. I live in the tropics of northern beaches in Cairns and love where i live.

Australia pisses all over England and always will. And this comes from an englishman.....

I am coming back to England next April for 6 weeks (long leave) :-) and i will enjoy it as before, but i will enjoy leaving for home (Australia)

As for whinging poms complaining of lack of sun or too much sun........ Jeez..!!!! Aussies here gradually found out i was not of same mould as other poms who quite frankly, are an embarassment to my previous homeland.........

Good for you but what does this have to do with the UK being on the up, which it clearly is ?

Yes what I should have said was that they AREN'T £35,000 here as the poster claimed, in fact not even close to that amount.

There is no doubt that the UK is on the up. I noticed the difference between what it was like when I was back recently and when I was back nearly 5 years ago.

Yes absolutely, it is a very obvious upturn and looks to be gathering speed.

Archived