Sunshine Coast to Brisbane

Dean

Hi Everyone,

My wife an I are moving out to Oz in next 12 months just waiting for Visa's to be granted. We love the look of Mooloolaba and the Sunshine Coast in general but I'm looking at working in Brisbane. I was wondering what the travel times are like between the 2 places. I already travel 1 1/2 - 2 hours to work 3-4 hours a day.

Thanks

Don't do it.

Probably 1hr20 ish at the weekend. During the week too awful to contemplate unless you like sitting in cars/traffic will be dark by the time you get home.

To give you an example, heading North at 8 am the other day, it took 1 hour 45 to reach Australia Zoo from bracken Ridge (half the distance you'll be doing) due to a crash Southbound..........yes, I was going North the crash was South. Southbound the traffic was stood still for 14ks. It's not an irregular occurence either

Hi Everyone,

My wife an I are moving out to Oz in next 12 months just waiting for Visa's to be granted. We love the look of Mooloolaba and the Sunshine Coast in general but I'm looking at working in Brisbane. I was wondering what the travel times are like between the 2 places. I already travel 1 1/2 - 2 hours to work 3-4 hours a day.

Thanks

I'd agree with the other responses, we live in Narangba, nr North Lakes and sometimes getting into the city can take well over an hour particularly on a Monday morning when there's more traffic from the Sunnie Coast heading back to town. It seems people have weekend properties up there and head home very early Monday morning back to work for the week, making the road horrendous. If there's an accident, as there was last week, it can take 2 hours to do the trip from North Lakes to the city, which takes 45 minutes on a weekend.

Thanks for the replys. I commute and drive to central London almost every day. So I'm used to sitting in traffic. Is there any train service that goes from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane?

The Bruce Highway is not like a British motorway either. From Caboolture it is only 2 lane with lots of speed cameras and limits are strictly enforced and traffic is simply horrendous. It's not 110 all the way and parts of it are 90 or 100. You don't want to sit in traffic on a hot day, even with aircon, or when there are storms. It is regularly closed or impassable during storms and there is no way off it. It's taken me 1.5 hours from narangba to Nudgee. There are tolls on the tunnels and parking in the CBD is astronomical. There is a train from Nambour but trains are expensive. It takes an hour to Caboolture. if you finish work around 5pm you won't get much beach time by the time you get home which defeats the object of living there.

My son commuted from the Sunshine Coast to Brendale, just at the top end of the Gympie Rd. He gave up 2 years ago and moved to Eatons Hill. Originally the journey took 1 hour. Then North Lakes expanded like mad, and even 2 years ago took at least 1 1/2 hours, didn't make any difference how early he left, and if there was an accident, it was a nightmare, as there is no real alternative route.He loves the S Coast, but the commute wasn't worth it.

Thanks for all the info - I'll bear it in mind when looking - May just have to move to the Gold Coast. Not saying that is a bad thing :o)

Not the best comute from here neither luckily I don't have to do it much

The Bombay express (train) is always an option as well

Many do it daily and just get on with it

At least on a weekend you won't be the ones driving down from Brisbane and back coming to the Gold Coast for some beach life

I will be doing the gold coast commute soon but planning on using the Bombay express 3 of the days. I usually get into work at 6 am most days and work at South Bank. I might just leave a little earlier.

When I was up the sunshine coast I did commute 1 hr and 20 each day up the Bruce Highway and that wasn't any fun. The driving standard is pretty awful here. There are many accidents and it made the top 20 of the most dangerous roads in the world. not surprised as I have seen many awful accidents on it.

Not the best comute from here neither luckily I don't have to do it much

The Bombay express (train) is always an option as well

Many do it daily and just get on with it

At least on a weekend you won't be the ones driving down from Brisbane and back coming to the Gold Coast for some beach life

Surely commuting once at weekend tops is better than 5 times in the week? Isn't helensvale a fair drive to the beach anyway?

Surely commuting once at weekend tops is better than 5 times in the week? Isn't helensvale a fair drive to the beach anyway?

You should know by now that the pull of living near the beach over-rules all common sense........Living near work (where you spend most of your time) goes out the window, when folk think that they will spend most of their time on the beach.......but..........deaf ears and I'm sick and tired of trying to save folk from theirselves.............how many of them who fail to heed what is posted here, will eventually end up in the nirvana of the UK, slagging off oz via saying how the working hours and commute weren't worth the migration process?

Work location first and leisure 2nd...........how many feckin' times does it have to be said before folks realise that they are either enriching or feckin' their lives up unless they appreciate the advice.........

We don't work in Brisbane so we don't have the worry of that

But my daughter goes to the university their and she finds it ok as she reads on the journey

Helensvale is about 10 mins drive away on average to the beach

I feel we live pretty central to where we like to go obviously this was why we chose to live here

Others will have a different view

We can be in Brisbane in 50mins (yes it can take 2 hours on a bad day)

We can also be in Coolangatta in about 30mins (a place we love to visit)

• 2 weeks later...

I live on the Sunny Coast next to Mooloolaba on Alexandra Headlands, but I work in Mountain Creek (10 minutes away). Ive heard a lot of people talking about the horrendous commute to Brissy and how a lot of people do it because there isn't much work on the coast. So people do, but people also suffer.

I work for Mink Property, so if you need any advice on renting or buying property over here, give me a shout as things are very different from the UK.

We don't work in Brisbane so we don't have the worry of that

But my daughter goes to the university their and she finds it ok as she reads on the journey

Helensvale is about 10 mins drive away on average to the beach

I feel we live pretty central to where we like to go obviously this was why we chose to live here

Others will have a different view

We can be in Brisbane in 50mins (yes it can take 2 hours on a bad day)

We can also be in Coolangatta in about 30mins (a place we love to visit)

Coolangatta beach is a favourite to swim at for me good choice. I'd just prefer to have aten minute commute each day and a longer drive to the coast when I fancy it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone,

Thanks

We live on Bribie Island my partner works in Brisbane

and It can get quite busy mainly around redcliffe, it usually takes around 1.5 hrs

my partner gets paid travel time so it's not an issue. When we arrived in Oz we were undecided on Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast

i prefer Sunshine Coast as it's not as busy as the sky rise Gold Coast but an easy journey for a visit to one of the theme parks

so we narrowed it down to Mooloolabah or Bribie.

mooloolabah is lovely,Bribie is a lot quieter but you get more for your money. I guess it all depends on your lifestyle

if you like coffee culture , bars etc then Mooloolabah has it.

Good luck

Archived