Nurse Registration - POST GRADUATE Diploma

Hi all

Back again.

Has anyone had any experience registering with a POST GRADUATE diploma?

I'm aware of the issue with Nursing diplomas and topping up but the AQF framework has;

My wife's qualification is a post graduate one i.e. just short of a Master's. She did this as part of her Health Visitor training.

Cheers

Daf

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Lizzie. We have just about finished collating all of Deb's paperwork. Race you?!

You're on! :wink: I've been tracking my documents, they arrived in Sydney two days ago so hopefully not long until I get an email from ANMAC saying they've received everything they require to start processing my application, fingers crossed! I really hope the paperwork sent by my Uni and my IELTS paperwork has been received ok. I'm aiming to get out there by Christmas, so could do without any delays!

She will need a degree in order to register with AHPRA

A postgraduate diploma is an AQF level 8 qualification, so higher than a bachelors degree which is a level 7. An ordinary nursing diploma is only considered a level 5. So if the minimum requirement is a bachelors degree, a postgraduate diploma should also be accepted. It still satisfies the EU directive and includes the minimum 2,300 hours of theory and practice.

• 2 months later...
Hi all

Back again.

Has anyone had any experience registering with a POST GRADUATE diploma?

I'm aware of the issue with Nursing diplomas and topping up but the AQF framework has;

My wife's qualification is a post graduate one i.e. just short of a Master's. She did this as part of her Health Visitor training.

Cheers

Daf

Did you wife do her 3 years nurse training then complete a PGdip Health visiting? If so she will get reg, as I have a Dip He adult nursing and completed Bsc Hons HV, and recently got Ahpra. As pointed out PG dip is higher than Bsc Hons. If she did a direct HV course without initial nurse training then I'm not sure how Ahpra would assess this.

Hi, I believe that his wife did what I have just been offered. I have just started on my BSC (hons) nursing and already have a degree. If you already have a tertiary education then you can study a graduate nursing diploma which is a 3 year course and followed all of the same curriculum as the BSc, however you are exempt from some of the pure academic modules, such as the communication ones and the dissertation as you have already shown that you can study at degree level, you do have to study at Msc level for a couple of modules as well though and you do still need to do all of the pharmacokinetics, p and p, placements etc and it is still 3 years. However it is confusing as to whether oz recognise this or not. It is officially a higher qualification that the BSc but is less than a PGdip and i dont think there is an oz equivalent!

I have my fingers crossed for you wife @Daffyd

Hi, I believe that his wife did what I have just been offered. I have just started on my BSC (hons) nursing and already have a degree. If you already have a tertiary education then you can study a graduate nursing diploma which is a 3 year course and followed all of the same curriculum as the BSc, however you are exempt from some of the pure academic modules, such as the communication ones and the dissertation as you have already shown that you can study at degree level, you do have to study at Msc level for a couple of modules as well though and you do still need to do all of the pharmacokinetics, p and p, placements etc and it is still 3 years. However it is confusing as to whether oz recognise this or not. It is officially a higher qualification that the BSc but is less than a PGdip and i dont think there is an oz equivalent!

Some of the fast track courses are 2 years as opposed to 3 years such as The one offered by University of London( for HV school nursing and district nursing) " Our graduate-entry courses allow graduates with a first degree from disciplines other than healthcare to gain a pre-registration health qualification in approximately two years as opposed to the usual three - providing a fast-track route into health"

Any course would have to meet the minimum practice hours etc as per Ahpra website, I wonder if the sticking point for these courses will be the dissertation.

The other issue to consider if ahpra is granted, is employment. Not sure where you are looking to go Daffyd, but HV's are required to also hold a midwifery qualification to do this role in some states such as Victoria. I'm in Perth, and its quite a long process here, you apply for the pool, then wait for an interview, I didn't get one until I landed in the country, then wait another 8 weeks to find out if you were successful. Then you have to wait until a post becomes available, I will commence work in November, this is form an application that I submitted at the beginning of the year, and I consider myself to have been very lucky. A lot of the HV roles advertised are rural. The benefit of having initial nursing qualification is being able to take a general nursing role until a HV post comes up. Good luck to your wife with her ahpra journey, if she is granted reg, and wants to pm me, I am happy to give her some pointers with the application (I didn't get invited for an interview with my first attempt in 2014) due to not addressing criteria) you have to give very specific examples from practice)

I thought I would update on this thread as I have recently received some news that has scuppered my immigration plans. I applied for my skills assessment with ANMAC and within a week, I received an email from them stating that they were freezing my application for two years unless in the meantime I could prove that I had obtained registration with AHPRA. This is all because my course is one of the fast-track 2 year postgraduate diplomas. I have since spoken to four different registered migration agents and have been advised that if I apply to AHPRA now, I might as well take my money and flush it down the toilet as I will get rejected, based on the fact my qualification will be considered 'insufficient'. Apparently it doesn't matter that on paper, I satisfy ALL of the criteria.

One of the main prompts in my career change into nursing (I previously did marketing and PR) was the fact that this qualification could take me anywhere in the world (as I was told by my University). So I have completely changed my career, gone back to University for two years, done all 4,600 hours of work and now found out I won't be able to move with it. My only option is to return to University in the UK, do a degree top-up, which is about as stupid as it sounds because my current qualification is already higher than what I'd be topping up to.

So just a word of warning for anyone doing the 2 year PGDip Adult Nursing course...you won't be able to register with this qualification and as of the past few months, ANMAC will now refuse to process your skills assessment until you provide evidence of AHPRA registration.

I thought I would update on this thread as I have recently received some news that has scuppered my immigration plans. I applied for my skills assessment with ANMAC and within a week, I received an email from them stating that they were freezing my application for two years unless in the meantime I could prove that I had obtained registration with AHPRA. This is all because my course is one of the fast-track 2 year postgraduate diplomas. I have since spoken to four different registered migration agents and have been advised that if I apply to AHPRA now, I might as well take my money and flush it down the toilet as I will get rejected, based on the fact my qualification will be considered 'insufficient'. Apparently it doesn't matter that on paper, I satisfy ALL of the criteria.

One of the main prompts in my career change into nursing (I previously did marketing and PR) was the fact that this qualification could take me anywhere in the world (as I was told by my University). So I have completely changed my career, gone back to University for two years, done all 4,600 hours of work and now found out I won't be able to move with it. My only option is to return to University in the UK, do a degree top-up, which is about as stupid as it sounds because my current qualification is already higher than what I'd be topping up to.

So just a word of warning for anyone doing the 2 year PGDip Adult Nursing course...you won't be able to register with this qualification and as of the past few months, ANMAC will now refuse to process your skills assessment until you provide evidence of AHPRA registration.

So sorry to hear this Lizzie you must be devastated.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I wanted to see if anyone had any more info about their application (and still looks at this site!)?..

I’m in the same situation with an adult nursing pgdip. I’ve been trying to contact AHPRA to ask if my qualification will be accepted - with no real response.

so frustrating!

On 04/07/2015 at 22:15, Lizzie344 said:

I'll be able to let you know in about 12 weeks! I have a postgraduate diploma in adult nursing and I'm currently waiting for ANMAC to process my skills assessment.

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you, with a DGDip Adult Nursing qualification. I've recently heard that you can go to NZ and then via the Trans Aus-NZ route, get AHPRA registration. Just thought I'd let you know in case you're still interested.

Edited by LeeH

Hi Lee,

Thanks so much for that. I had a look at the Trans Tasman route, you need 2 years of experience working to register in NZ... And I only have 8 months so far. I'm going to phone ANMAC in the morning to see if they can provide some info.

I phone AHPRA last week, and getting info from them was like getting blood from a stone!

... I feel like there must be a way, I'm going to keep looking

17 minutes ago, ilovefeffer said:

Hi Lee,

Thanks so much for that. I had a look at the Trans Tasman route, you need 2 years of experience working to register in NZ... And I only have 8 months so far. I'm going to phone ANMAC in the morning to see if they can provide some info.

I phone AHPRA last week, and getting info from them was like getting blood from a stone!

... I feel like there must be a way, I'm going to keep looking

You probably won’t have much luck with ANMAC either. Both agencies want you to pay for an assessment, not get free information on the phone. 

Good luck, sorry I don’t have any ideas to help you.

On 20/05/2018 at 10:05, LeeH said:

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you, with a DGDip Adult Nursing qualification. I've recently heard that you can go to NZ and then via the Trans Aus-NZ route, get AHPRA registration. Just thought I'd let you know in case you're still interested.

Thanks Amber.

Lee, did ANMAC offer you the chance to apply for a bridging course in the letter they sent you? They seem to cost between $12,000-13,000, but at the moment I’m thinking I’ll try anything! Thanks ? 

On 22/05/2018 at 14:19, ilovefeffer said:

Lee, did ANMAC offer you the chance to apply for a bridging course in the letter they sent you? They seem to cost between $12,000-13,000, but at the moment I’m thinking I’ll try anything! Thanks ? 

Yeah they did mention that some applicants will have to do the bridging course. Sounds like we've all received the same letter!

Since I graduated I've done the critical care nursing course at uni (degree level 6) so I'm hoping that may help sway things in my favour a little. Also the mentorship at degree level.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Just wanted to post an update, as today I received my Registration In Principle letter from AHPRA! To say I'm ecstatic is an understatement. Not sure if there have been changes in requirements at AHPRA or they were just happy with all my credentials, but I'm stoked either way. Possibly they were happy with my PGDip course on it's own, or the extra degree level study I have completed (ICU nurse course and mentorship) helped as well.

Now on to the ANMAC skills assessment..