Medical insurance.

Dawnlouise

Hi everyone, I am in Oz on my own, I have got Medicare due to being sponsored, but can you all tell me if it's sensible to get private cover.?

I didn't have it in the UK but I am unsure out here if most people pay for private.

I was with Medibank, but opted for a payment break just until I revived my wages, I'm now wondering if to set it back up or just stick with Medicare?

Thank you everyone.

If you have Medicare, then the question comes down to tax. If you are a high earner - over about $180k per year, then it is a good idea to get private.

If not, in my opinion it is a waste of money. We have had top of the range private for years and have just dropped it. The big issue with private is the gap payments. That is the difference between what a doctor charges and the insurance pays. I used my private for a endascopy examination and had to pay out hundreds.

You our can get dental and ambulance as extras only. We have just shopped around for it and found Madibank the best value.

If you are single then the threshold for medicare levy surcharge is much lower at $90k. In WA, a basic no-frills health cover costs around $600 a year where as a 1% medicare levy surcharge would cost at-least $900 and upwards.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-levy/Medicare-levy-surcharge/Income-for-Medicare-levy-surcharge,-thresholds-and-rates/

The gap thing is a major source of confusion with private health. There are a few types but can broadly be classified into no-gap and known-gap. Do a bit of research and it will get even less clear with arguments for and against each of the schemes. In WA, a basic cover gets me ambulance as well so not a total loss. HCF, which I am insured with, announced that both no-gap and known-gap options will be available from July,2015 and the medical provider can choose which scheme they participate in. Don't know the full details yet.

http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/ has a lot more info and is not a commercial outfit that is trying to benefit from the policy you pick.

Your age and visa status is also important.

If you are a PR and over 31 you will get "Lifetime Loading" for every year you don't have private hospital cover. So, the longer you leave it the more you pay when you do decide to get it. You are exempt if you register for a plan in your first year of PR, so to give an example, we were 40 at the time we got PR, but have no lifetime loading as it was not applicable until the PR visa kicked in. Had we left this, it would have gone up to 20% loading in the next fiscal year.

You pretty much have to have it once you get to 31, otherwise the additional tax you pay for not having a private plan can outweigh the cost of the plan itself.

It's also worth it for the peace of mind, although in all honesty compared to UK private health it's a pile of crap. I had a minor day patient op last year and despite the Medicare and BUPA payments it still cost me around $1000. I had BUPA in the UK and didn't pay anything whenever I had treatment.

However, if you are not PR and are under 31 don't bother. And personally I wouldn't bother paying too much for extras cover. We pay $60 a month for extras and two years in we have paid in $1200 and got a benefit of $500, so really not worth it.

If you need knees replaced, new hips, any type of elective surgery or having a baby maybe take out health insurance. I took mine out a year before I had my knee replaced so I could get it done by the doc I wanted when I wanted, for this I paid insurance and an extra $3,000.00 dollars. So its not cheap using it.

If you want to have a child then you need to be in the fund before you get pregnant and be in at least 12 months before they will cough up.

As my doc told me even though I paid the loading for they years I was not in it, I get to use it which most people do not do. So its just like an elephant in the cupboard unless you use it, and expensive one. Whereas I now use it and get my monies worth.

If you want to have a child then you need to be in the fund before you get pregnant and be in at least 12 months before they will cough up.

A quick comment on this. Our friends recently had a child in Australia. They're in their mid 30s and it was the second one, the first being born in Finland. Their experience was that the Medicare hospitals in Australia were actually better than the ones in Finland and they had nothing but praise for it. All of it was done through Medicare at no cost to them.

Hi,

I am 40 and a stylist. I earn a sponsorship income of about $53 per year??

I was insured with Medibank. About $44 per month.

Since I am over 31 maybe I should get it.

Some say do some say don't.

Are you a citizen, PR or 457? Makes a big difference. Also, do you have reciprocated Medicare (i.e. are you American etc)?

Your age and visa status is also important.

If you are a PR and over 31 you will get "Lifetime Loading" for every year you don't have private hospital cover. So, the longer you leave it the more you pay when you do decide to get it. You are exempt if you register for a plan in your first year of PR, so to give an example, we were 40 at the time we got PR, but have no lifetime loading as it was not applicable until the PR visa kicked in. Had we left this, it would have gone up to 20% loading in the next fiscal year.

You pretty much have to have it once you get to 31, otherwise the additional tax you pay for not having a private plan can outweigh the cost of the plan itself.

It's also worth it for the peace of mind, although in all honesty compared to UK private health it's a pile of crap. I had a minor day patient op last year and despite the Medicare and BUPA payments it still cost me around $1000. I had BUPA in the UK and didn't pay anything whenever I had treatment.

However, if you are not PR and are under 31 don't bother. And personally I wouldn't bother paying too much for extras cover. We pay $60 a month for extras and two years in we have paid in $1200 and got a benefit of $500, so really not worth it.

We are both 40 & 42 validated our PR last August on a two week hokiday and coming out October 1st. Any idea does that 12 months apply after validation or after living there 12 months hope its the latter wouldn't seem fair otherwise. So glad you shared this information I must look into it. Have you any links on it?

We are both 40 & 42 validated our PR last August on a two week hokiday and coming out October 1st. Any idea does that 12 months apply after validation or after living there 12 months hope its the latter wouldn't seem fair otherwise. So glad you shared this information I must look into it. Have you any links on it?

According to this: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/health-privatehealth-lhc-providers-faq.htm your 12 months starts from the date you register for full cover with Medicare. So if you came on a holiday and don't register with Medicare, you would start your 12 months in October this year.

Just paid $1000 for dental work for my 9 year old daughter. Dental work is not covered by Medicare and even if we'd had private cover, it wouldn't have kicked in until it had been valid for 12 months.

Make sure all dental work is up to date under the NHS before emigrating!

Archived