whens the best time to return with a 14 year old

smoggy

Hi everyone long story short after 12 years away we are certain we ve had enough our eldest has now moved back he is 20. We went back for xmas last year and confirmed that we do want to be back there. However our secound rldest has just turned 14. I was looking at some other posts and was confused as to whats best for him ie go end of this year and start his gcse a term later than his peers or wait until he has completed year 10 here and will be 16. And then apply straight to college. Any words of wisdom please. Been home sick for years only now have the guts to make some changes

We returned to the UK in the May when our son was 14 and he started school for the last few weeks of year 9. He was able to meet up with all his old friends ready for the summer holidays and the school were excellent with making sure he settled in well and that the standard of his work was in line with what they expected to complete year 9. He then started his GCSE studies in year 10 as normal. He is now sitting his GCSE exams and is doing well ready to start college in September. Good luck!

Hi - my family moved Aus to UK when I was 15.5yrs, and halfway through Aus yr10 (arrived July ). I ended up having to restart yr10 because of GCSEs and so was 17.5yrs when I finished school/started college...from your son's point of view, I think moving sooner rather than later would be the least disruptive for him.

Best of luck with whatever you decide ☺ it's so hard trying to guess the right thing to do.

Emma xx

We have just moved back to the UK - my eldest daughter finished Year 10 in Australia, then started Year 11 in December. She has nearly finished her GCSEs and is doing really well. She has worked hard and the school has been really supportive. I guess each case is individual, but probably better to get him into Year 10 as soon as possible to give him the most options for courses. There were a couple of subjects my daughter was unable to do as she was too late in arriving to catch up. She is very happy here and looking forward to sixth form college in September.

You do whatever is right for you! Your child is easier to please than you and more resilient! Happy parents, supported child, happy child.

We are going back when eldest has completed year 12. (she is year 10). This is more to do with planning, hubby changing jobs, and setting up. Not to do with our eldest. She would move in a heartbeat. No worries.

If something comes out of the blue, employment wise, we would. We do not base on child. We do best for child. Go for it!

If you can get him back for the start of term in September, that would be the ideal. However, if you have to wait until December it's not the end of the world.

We moved when our eldest had missed the first term of gcses and she caught up fine, just like others on here. There will be subjects which would be harder to pick up at that stage, so if you want him to have the full range available, the earlier you get here the better.

That said, there are a lot of changes going on with gcses at the moment and some schools are more informed and prepared than others, so you need to research carefully.

If he's thinking of college rather than university, he wouldn't have a problem with his Aus year 12 qualifications. Universities look at them on an individual basis, so having UK ones is easier simply from that point of view.

I hear you but also we have lived experience when moving from nz to oz when our eldest was 16, he found it too hard to adapt hence the reason he has gone back to uk. mind you I must say we were all miserable in the first couple of years here, so that didn't help. we were thinking about staying for him to complete year 10 or even yr 12 (if I could stick it that long) but then I was hearing something about not being eligible for uni support as have not been in the uk for two years prior to starting uni??? have you heard about that

I hear you but also we have lived experience when moving from nz to oz when our eldest was 16, he found it too hard to adapt hence the reason he has gone back to uk. mind you I must say we were all miserable in the first couple of years here, so that didn't help. we were thinking about staying for him to complete year 10 or even yr 12 (if I could stick it that long) but then I was hearing something about not being eligible for uni support as have not been in the uk for two years prior to starting uni??? have you heard about that

It's three years. Once he's been here that long he'll be eligible for home fees and maintenance loan.

Hi smoggy

Just out of interest were you miserable in NZ or Ausi?? Very different countries.

You need to be in England for a certain amount of years before uni to be eligible for support. We were contemplating going back early to get our daughter (year 10 this year) sorted for this. But not really practical and we would loose out financially.

We are factoring in we will go back end of her year 12, and just have to pay international university fees for the first year. And yes she was born in England.

You either need to get back for two years, or is it three years? even if you have English citizenship. If not just factor in you will have to pay international uni fees for the first year or two. I think it ranges from about 16,000 to 20,000 pounds depending, but there are scholarships of course.

Hi kellmer, not sure if your question is directed to me or smoggy. ?

But well, here's my answer. We are in Brisbane, but also lived in NSW. Been here 7 years. Want to do full circle now and return to England for our children's future, as we feel this is the better country for our likes, needs, social life and opportunities.

I won't say Australia has been all bad for us, (don't want to start a war on this informative thread and take off track) but definitely not my type of lifestyle and as a family we have never really settled here, and it has been quite lonely for us here.

My eldest daughter is very academic and loves school. She studies hard wherever she is. She has moved schools many times, and actually gets excited at a new start. I don't feel we can control all too much and sometimes just "doing it" because we mentally feel better, can be a good enough reason.

I think children adapt pretty quickly and I think in this international day and age, there is a lot more interaction between countries and schools. The school my eldest is at has some English subjects. They are preparing her to do some GCSE and helping her source and find out about certain unis in England. Many of their students have left Australia to go to England Universities as international students. There is option of scholarships and exchanges, as it is good to get different cultures and nationalities to different countries and add some "flavour" to Universities.

We are off soon and have a 13 year old (14 tomorrow) and hoping to get him into school from september to restart year 9

• 1 month later...

We returned to UK in March this year when our son was 14. He turned 15 in April. He had started year 9 in Sydney and competed the first term. We initially enrolled him in a private school in the UK who were happy for,him to finish year 9 and start year 10 in September. Son did not like or settle into the school. He has just started at a local comprehensive school that his cousin attends. Again they are happy for him to finish year 9 and start year 10 in September. The SENCO will be assessing him next week for dyslexia etc. He has been able to choose all the options he wanted and has the opportunity to drop one and have extra support with his maths and English. He seems happy and more comfortable at school so fingers crossed it's good for him.

I'm pretty sure it's not. Education to 19 is free (apart from uni), but someone else will be able to give you a definitive answer. Or you can check the college websites.

If in doubt check with college - I was told 6th form is free from our local college. If you get back soon, you'll be fine

Hi Smoggy

we moved back in May this year. We were planning on Aug but sold the house quicker than we thought!

We have three kids, 14, 8 & 2.

The 14 year old seems to have settled in without a problem. He'll have half a term of grade 9 before starting his 2 years of GCSE's. He has found the standard of work fairly similar & seems to have fitted in & made friends fine. We agonised over the decision as I was worried about them moving schools but he has been great & seems really happy.

Our 8 year old has struggled a bit more. I'm not sure if it's because he's only ever been to an Aus school or what but he has found it more of a challenge. He had always done really well & was a high achiever in Aus & I was worried he'd find the standard s lot higher but he's just had a report & is doing great academically so I think it's just the change & forming new friendships thst he is finding more difficult. 4 weeks in & he seems a lot happier so I think it really depends on the individual child how they will settle

The 3 year resident before uni was a big factor in our move happening as quickly as it did too.

Good luck with it all xxx

Hi smoggy

We are factoring in we will go back end of her year 12, and just have to pay international university fees for the first year. And yes she was born in England.

You either need to get back for two years, or is it three years? even if you have English citizenship. If not just factor in you will have to pay international uni fees for the first year or two. I think it ranges from about 16,000 to 20,000 pounds depending, but there are scholarships of course.

Your fee status is assessed at the start of the course and does not change throughout it unless there are very specific circumstances, and having been in the country for 3 years isn't one of them. The university has the discretion to charge you home fee even if you haven't been there for three full years; we would do so if you had been there for two and a bit years because you moved when it wouldn't disrupt education for example. You're best off asking the Fees department for an assessment before your daughter enrols as it won't be one year of International fees, it will be three or more. Under those circumstances you'd be better off if she took a gap year as Student Loans will absolutely not be available either.

I move next week with a 14 year old. im really worried about it as she will loose 6 months of year 9. But I felt it was better for her to start at the beginning of year 10. Will have to see how it all goes.

Archived