Going home for Christmas, airline recommendations?

dwrodwell

Hey all,

Myself and my partner are looking at going back to the UK for Christmas from Sydney. I've been looking at dates roughly around the 23rd Dec to the 3rd of Jan. I've been searching around for flights and would really just like any suggestions of airlines that would be the most affordable over christmas time and good value for money. Any help or previous experience shared would be much appreciated, ie- websites, airlines, flight companies, any tricks to drive the price down.

Thanks so much,

Dave

Hey all,

Myself and my partner are looking at going back to the UK for Christmas from Sydney. I've been looking at dates roughly around the 23rd Dec to the 3rd of Jan. I've been searching around for flights and would really just like any suggestions of airlines that would be the most affordable over christmas time and good value for money. Any help or previous experience shared would be much appreciated, ie- websites, airlines, flight companies, any tricks to drive the price down.

Thanks so much,

Dave

I honestly don't think there are any tricks to it or any airline that is consistently cheaper than any other. One month any particular airline can be cheapest and next the most expensive, I have found. You will also tend to find the same prices no matter what search engine you use so just pick one you like using. Keep looking over the next few months and when you find a price you are comfortable with grab them, noting prices will go up nearer the time, not down.

Without looking at the websites, I have a feeling that if you were to spend Xmas Day 'in the air' and arrive either late on Xmas Day or on Boxing Day, it might bring the price down. I don't know though.

I have not booked a flight for a long, long time. The last time I flew from London to Sydney was with 'Asiana' a South Korean airline, I'd never heard about, and was suspicious of, but they were great.

• 2 months later...

Hi All, I just booked flights with Korean Airlines (best price with Skiddoo, but then I got flight centre to price match it), $2120, flying 12.12-01.01, my boyfriends flying 18.12-01.01 $2301. You have a 20 hr stop on the way, but they put you up in a hotel (im told, just waiting on this from the airline, and can be the 5* Hyatt, if you are lucky), and 25hrs (4hr stop) on the way back, but the airport do free tours. https://www.koreanair.com/content/koreanair/global/en/offers-promotion.html#excellent-transit-program, they also have massage parlours and showers.

Online reviews look good, and a couple of friends also thought they were good. otherwise at the mo, its at least $2700 for a top tier airline, and I just cant justify that!

Hi All, I just booked flights with Korean Airlines (best price with Skiddoo, but then I got flight centre to price match it), $2120, flying 12.12-01.01, my boyfriends flying 18.12-01.01 $2301. You have a 20 hr stop on the way, but they put you up in a hotel (im told, just waiting on this from the airline, and can be the 5* Hyatt, if you are lucky), and 25hrs (4hr stop) on the way back, but the airport do free tours. https://www.koreanair.com/content/koreanair/global/en/offers-promotion.html#excellent-transit-program, they also have massage parlours and showers.

Online reviews look good, and a couple of friends also thought they were good. otherwise at the mo, its at least $2700 for a top tier airline, and I just cant justify that!

Yeah I gave up on top tier airlines as they were too expensive. I managed to get one with Garuda Indonesia for 1500 flying out on the 22nd and back on the 4th. Had never heard of them until now so fingers crossed I make it there and back in one piece!!

That time of year you are going to be paying top prices I'm afraid, some of the cheaper airlines like Garuda your travel times will be longer with some around the 40 hour mark so that eats into your relatively short holiday dates. (I have just checked Garuda, not cheap and not quick either).

There are some all year around the world fares which can work out cheaper and available at that time of year which we have done 4 or 5 times now (but had longer holiday and did somethings along the way too), Swiss air offer them, but then there is still the time factor.

We use 'Best Jet' for checking prices usually the cheapest plus no credit card fee.

Good luck.

That time of year you are going to be paying top prices I'm afraid, some of the cheaper airlines like Garuda your travel times will be longer with some around the 40 hour mark so that eats into your relatively short holiday dates. (I have just checked Garuda, not cheap and not quick either).

There are some all year around the world fares which can work out cheaper and available at that time of year which we have done 4 or 5 times now (but had longer holiday and did somethings along the way too), Swiss air offer them, but then there is still the time factor.

We use 'Best Jet' for checking prices usually the cheapest plus no credit card fee.

Good luck.

Yeah the Garuda flight I've got is 35 hours- considering the fastest flight we could find was only ten hours quicker and twice the price though I think we got a good deal. Can't complain with a 15 hundred return over Christmas. Think the next cheapest I found was China Southern for around 2100.The only thing is I don't think the comfort/in flight entertainment will be a patch on the likes of BA or Emirates. None the less, as long as I can have a beer and some sleep I'm sure it'll go smoothly ?

Who are Garuda?

Garuda Indonesia. I asked the same question. After doing a bit of research it seems they had a bad rep 7/8 years ago but have massively improved over the last few years. I guess I will see Christmas time!

Yeah the Garuda flight I've got is 35 hours- considering the fastest flight we could find was only ten hours quicker and twice the price though I think we got a good deal. Can't complain with a 15 hundred return over Christmas. Think the next cheapest I found was China Southern for around 2100.The only thing is I don't think the comfort/in flight entertainment will be a patch on the likes of BA or Emirates. None the less, as long as I can have a beer and some sleep I'm sure it'll go smoothly 

Garuda did have a bad reputation at one time but I believe they are trying to improve themselves. However if planning to fly in December then to get the best fares you need to be looking way before now, I just goggled up a few and all, including Garuda were way expensive with a 40hr plus return flight for the 4th Jan with them. Also some of the cheaper ones do not have daily services so if on fixed dates for holidays they may not fit in, and also fewer flights = fewer seats available = get in early. Though I would not fly these airlines I can understand how prohibitive some of the major airlines can be when having to pay for a family of 4 or more.

Happy travels guys.

I flew with Garuda a loooooong time ago - when I came over to Australia on a WHV so that shows how long ago that was. I should imagine the airline has improved a lot since then. At the time, I vowed I'd never fly with them again - the flight was not the best and it took over 30 hours to get here.

Garuda did have a bad reputation at one time but I believe they are trying to improve themselves. However if planning to fly in December then to get the best fares you need to be looking way before now, I just goggled up a few and all, including Garuda were way expensive with a 40hr plus return flight for the 4th Jan with them. Also some of the cheaper ones do not have daily services so if on fixed dates for holidays they may not fit in, and also fewer flights = fewer seats available = get in early. Though I would not fly these airlines I can understand how prohibitive some of the major airlines can be when having to pay for a family of 4 or more.

Happy travels guys.

Already booked ?? got it done a couple of days after I posted originally. Thanks for the advice though. We don't have a family, just the two of us. However we're flying to the states in September and Thailand next year so we had to be economical with our airline options unfortunately.

Already booked  got it done a couple of days after I posted originally. Thanks for the advice though. We don't have a family, just the two of us. However we're flying to the states in September and Thailand next year so we had to be economical with our airline options unfortunately.

If regular travelers to be then Register with a few airlines and travel agents and you get emails on deals as they come out, you can then build up a sort of memory bank of when the best times of year are to fly and book. The States is a good one to watch too as you can sometimes get a special to several us cities cheaper than the standard OZ to LA even though you go via LA.

They are an Indonesian Airline, codeshare with KLM so you would probably end up going through Amsterdam, flights can be really long as they have a few stop overs

It's not necessarily that bad. As they do operate Jakarta to Gatwick - which does have a technical stop in Amsterdam. Still, SYD - LGW is 28 hours, so not outrageous. Looks to me like a lot of those flights are sold out around Xmas though and the routes available are very convoluted marathons via Denpasar first.

Archived