UK driving licence 457

House Biatch

When we arrive in Queensland later in the year, will we need to change our UK driving licences to Oz ones at some point? We will be on a 457 visa and I read about folks who have PR needing to do it within 3 months but don't know if that will apply to us on a 457.

Thanks in advance :-)

When we arrive in Queensland later in the year, will we need to change our UK driving licences to Oz ones at some point? We will be on a 457 visa and I read about folks who have PR needing to do it within 3 months but don't know if that will apply to us on a 457.

Thanks in advance :-)

You don't need to switch until you get PR, after that there will be 3 months to do so. Temp residents from the UK can drive on a full UK licence smile.gif

I will add though, that while you don't need to swap your license. It may be a good idea to as many things require a lot of ID such as getting a rental, applying for credit. Even a sim card for a mobile phone needs ID. A australian drivers lincense is one of the best forms of ID as UK ones are not accepted for ID purposes.

I will add though, that while you don't need to swap your license. It may be a good idea to as many things require a lot of ID such as getting a rental, applying for credit. Even a sim card for a mobile phone needs ID. A australian drivers lincense is one of the best forms of ID as UK ones are not accepted for ID purposes.

Totally agree with this, they love ID here and the driving licence is the first thing they ask for so definately worth doing as saves carrying around passports etc

Cal x

You don't swop it as such just get an Aussie one as well. Although unless you are resident in the UK the UK one isn't really still valid. We have our UK one registered at my sisters address in the UK just to keep it but still used our Aussie ones when driving in the UK.

i would get an Aussie one as it is good ID and prof of address in Aus.

You may have to renew it every year on a 457, OH did in NSW, so bear that in mind and remember to do it! I didn't bother swapping mine, only OH did. I just did mine when I got PR. There didn't seem much point in me doing it when I was just at home with the kids.

Archived