Stopover in Singapore

Huggy75

Not sure where on the forums to post this so admin please move if need to :-)

We are having a 3 night stopover in Singapore on the way back home (UK), we've only ever transited through the airport before so really unsure as to how much money we might need for that length of time. Hotels paid for which includes entry to lots of attractions so would just be needing meals and extra for shopping (won't be going overboard though). Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks

We just took out a bit from the ATM and used cards to pay for most things where possible. We did have cards that did not charge silly fees for doing this though, you will need to check fees for bank cards or get a currency pre paid.

we never pre purchase currency these days, just go to the cash point at the airport when we arrive. But do beware card fees it isn't always the best option.

If this is just a one off visit never to be done again, then just get Singapore cash at this end and any left over change back to UK Pounds when in UK. not the ideal way financially but it is only a relatively small amount so will not be too much to worry about.

Otherwise think about loading a travel card.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

If this is just a one off visit never to be done again, then just get Singapore cash at this end and any left over change back to UK Pounds when in UK. not the ideal way financially but it is only a relatively small amount so will not be too much to worry about.

Otherwise think about loading a travel card.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Yes, it is just a stopover on the way to moving back to the UK for good. Hence why I just want to take cash. Just wondering how much would be a reasonable amount for 3 days, i.e. $500, $1000, $2000 or more? Sorry if I didn't make myself clearer.

Yes, it is just a stopover on the way to moving back to the UK for good. Hence why I just want to take cash. Just wondering how much would be a reasonable amount for 3 days, i.e. $500, $1000, $2000 or more? Sorry if I didn't make myself clearer.

No you were clear, just difficult to answer depends on how much you want to enjoy the place, that's why I said take more cash than you think you may need and what you do not use change to UK money, you will lose on exchange rates but it would be relatively small amounts in the scheme of things, a travel card would be a little more costly (and involved depending on whose card you use) in converting the loaded S$ to UK pounds and would be probably be worse than just changing cash. for example if you take $2000 and only spend $1500, that's $500 left, say you lose 5% on exchange dealings which equals a $25 loss ( or say 10 quid). Try googling up some prices like meals (at your hotel as well), transport, both airport/hotel transfers and the underground. You could also go on the 'trip advisor' forums and see what is said or ask the question there!

Good luck

No you were clear, just difficult to answer depends on how much you want to enjoy the place, that's why I said take more cash than you think you may need and what you do not use change to UK money, you will lose on exchange rates but it would be relatively small amounts in the scheme of things, a travel card would be a little more costly (and involved depending on whose card you use) in converting the loaded S$ to UK pounds and would be probably be worse than just changing cash. for example if you take $2000 and only spend $1500, that's $500 left, say you lose 5% on exchange dealings which equals a $25 loss ( or say 10 quid). Try googling up some prices like meals (at your hotel as well), transport, both airport/hotel transfers and the underground. You could also go on the 'trip advisor' forums and see what is said or ask the question there!

Good luck

Ah yes, Google and Trip Advisor - good thinking, I'll do some research! I guess I should have just asked if its an expensive City to visit or not - but then that could be viewed differently also. Thanks again everyone :-)

I have been thinking about the same thing, we are looking at returning in June and felt we should break the trip in Singapore. I have only been to the airport before now so not

sure on the money side of things. My father did his national service there and went back when he came to Aus. I don't think it will be cheap though. We may never get another chance as I think Europe will be the destination for the next few years.

We did a 3 day stopover on our way to Australia 3 years ago and I can't for the life of me remember what we ate or where or how much things cost; I suspect we were on very much in the mode of it all being Monopoly money by that point... I know we had a drink at the Long Bar at Raffles which was obviously expensive but I don't recall it being a particularly expensive City to be in.

I know you say you have a lot of attractions included in your hotel price but we went out to the Discovery Centre (http://www.sdc.com.sg/) and had a great time - really interactive, well worth the trip out. We went to the Botanic Gardens too (actually we ate there one evening!) and that was fantastic as well... the public transport was very easy to use.

Like I said it was 3 days 3 years ago now and our children are still talking about it - I don't know if we'll ever be able to just pass through the airport again - I suspect they may make us stopover every time!

In Singapore, food, transport, drink and clothes are inexpensive (but not free!). Accommodation is expensive. I would budget for what you would spend on a 3 day break in Australia and you'll come back with change. If you decide you want to make major purchases, then that is a decision you would take at the time and presumably put on your credit card. Just ask yourself whether you would buy the item for that price back home.

One tip - there will be plenty of tailors offering to make you clothes. I had two suits made for me and although they were inexpensive, they were also rather disappointing.

We were last there a couple of years ago. I didn't feel that anything was particularly expensive, or any more expensive than Australia. The hotel bar had a happy hour, we ate in the hotel and the prices weren't exhorbitant and the food was good. Plus there is always McDonalds or the food courts in the malls which aren't expensive. Public transport is very cheap, we caught taxis a couple of times and they were surprisingly cheap too (especially when there are 4 of you). If you are with Singapore airlines their hop on hop off bus is free. The airport transfer desk will get you to your hotel for S$9 per head (A$8.50) - obviously the exchange rate isn't so good now but it is still not mega-expensive.

Hello, we are coming from Uk and after booking a hotel are thinking of getting £400 exchanged to take with us for 3 days in Singapore, for food and activities. Any left over we can send at the airport on the way out :-) We have decided we would like to do Singapore Zoo and maybe a trip to Marina Bay for the light show :-)

Thats our thoughts anyhow x

Like any city you can spend a small fortune on a meal out or eat cheaply and well. Depends what you like. We ate at hawker markets some nights, chaotic and confusing but delicious and cheap! We had a special meal at a trendy restaurant with wine too. Both good and very different prices.

Sounds like you are staying at Sentosa Island, if so do go into the city or stroll across to the Botanic Gardens.

there is lots to do we went for two weeks and didn't do everything on our list.

Archived