Renounce UK citizenship and still get old age pension from UK

AnnetteV

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes. My father in law is thinking of renouncing his UK citizenship and get his Sri Lankan back but he is worried if it means he will lose his State old age pension from England. He is an UK and Australian citizen now. He worked in London for 12 years and it is the old age pension from those years.

Can anybody provide me with a link or a place to contact?

Thanks

If it were me, I'd first contact the NIC department in the UK who deal specifically with overseas residents. That way you will get information that isn't outdated and be told exactly what your father-in-laws position is and his entitlement to any future pension with regard his intentions. Alternatively, perhaps one of the registered pensions gurus on here know the answer they'd be willing to assist you with.

I concur with the above, I do not believe that it is a requirement to be a British Citizen to receive the State Pension, it is based on qualifying years and once accrued it is locked in so to speak.

Where does he now reside? See here http://www.britishpensions.org.au/frozenindexed.htm it tells you the Countries where the UK State Pension does not increase in payment with inflation.

Don't know why he would do that? If he does I don't think it's fair that he still gets his British Pension. If he's so adamant about being Sri Lankan instead of British ask them for a pension.

Maybe he will be as well... As others have said British citizenship is not necessary to receive a UK state pension, so not sure why he should be penalised specifically.

Archived