Transporting a Babies Trolley (Buggy)

Well, after many years of chasing Visas and waiting to sell our house it looks like were off to Aus in a few weeks.

We are expecting a baby and my wife is very keen on a trolley from the uk, we are shipping all our belongings from the uk to Aus with a company we've had recommended to us. However, when we mentioned shipping a brand new trolley with them they mentioned that we might have to pay tax on the item.....I cant see how its any different from the rest of our belongings really.....anyone on here have experiences of paying import tax on similar items?

Congratulations on the visa grant ...

'Supposedly' when shipping items you should've owed them for 12 mths or more. Lots and lots of people bring an item or two that are new when shipping their stuff, it is highly unlikely customs will even flinch. The rule is more there, to prevent you shipping 10 x TVs etc for re-sale here.

Cal x

It was $900 worth of new stuff before import tax hit in 2009.

Not sure what it is now.

Keep a receipt of all obviously new stuff. And mark it as new on the customs forms. With its price.

The only new item we declared was a vacuum cleaner. We shipped it in its box, unopened. Thus no cleaning of our old vac.

No issues, no extra charges, no worries.

Just take anything out of new wrapping etc. I have never declared anything as new and there really is no way of knowing if something is or isn't brand new. Chances are they won't even look at your stuff anyway. Just don't declare it as new.

Is it too big to take on the plane?

By the sound of it there is no baby yet........

If there is a baby to transport, then yes, the airline carry the pushchair free of charge.

You drive it to the door of the plane, unpack it. Leave it.

It mysteriously appears at the door again at your destination!

Archived