457 to PR why wait for employer?

We are moving out to Gold Coast in October this year on a 457 sponsored visa. The wife has been offered a job as a GP and she thinks that we will likely want to buy a house as soon as possible. I understand that we won't be able to do this while on a 457 visa, so we are considering the path to PR. One option is that we start applying for a PR visa as soon as we know we want to stay or we wait 2 years for her employer to nominate her for PR.

My question is this; is there a benefit in waiting for the employer to nominate for PR is the process pretty much the same as us doing it ourselves earlier? I presume because all of her medical registrations will have been sorted, it is only the visa process that will take the time?

TIA

There are only a few advantages of waiting for the employer nomination after 2 years - you can skip some steps such as the skills assessment, IELTS (if needed for points), etc. But otherwise, it's usually a MUCH better option to apply for PR earlier. Once you're PR, you aren't tied to any particular employer, she doesn't have to worry about a 90-day deadline to find another sponsor if she loses her job, etc.

We are moving out to Gold Coast in October this year on a 457 sponsored visa. The wife has been offered a job as a GP and she thinks that we will likely want to buy a house as soon as possible. I understand that we won't be able to do this while on a 457 visa, so we are considering the path to PR. One option is that we start applying for a PR visa as soon as we know we want to stay or we wait 2 years for her employer to nominate her for PR.

My question is this; is there a benefit in waiting for the employer to nominate for PR is the process pretty much the same as us doing it ourselves earlier? I presume because all of her medical registrations will have been sorted, it is only the visa process that will take the time?

TIA

Well there is nothing to stop you buying a house on a 457 visa, nothing legal that is, it just might not be a great plan.

And indeed why wait for the employer? If you would qualify for a permanent visa before then by yourselves, no good reason to wait that I can think of.

Hi,

Help! I am so confused about visas. I am on a 457 (18 months served already) and wanting to get PR and understand under the employer nominated scheme there are 2 routes - Temporary Residence Transition stream and Direct Entry Stream, has anyone experienced of either of these? Can any employer nominate you for each of these? Which is quickest and easiest? I get conflicting advice from migration consultants about eligibility, let alone cost and time taken!

Cheers

Hi,

Help! I am so confused about visas. I am on a 457 (18 months served already) and wanting to get PR and understand under the employer nominated scheme there are 2 routes - Temporary Residence Transition stream and Direct Entry Stream, has anyone experienced of either of these? Can any employer nominate you for each of these? Which is quickest and easiest? I get conflicting advice from migration consultants about eligibility, let alone cost and time taken!

Cheers

There are multiple pathways for gaining permanent residence. The first question is what is your occupation. The second is, your employer willing to sponsor pr?

Cheers - this is where it gets tricky - occupation is senior research fellow - My 457 states university lecturer but my employer is health service affiliated with a university. I have a PhD and have read that academics are not normally required to have the skills assessment test but I think that is only true if your employer is a university. The health service I work for could sponsor me under the transfer residence route but have heard that can take up to 18 months and I'd still have to work for them for another 6 months before the process could even commence, hence wondering if they could sponsor me under the direct entry route. Grateful for any advice!

If you read the information on the DIBP website, it should clear up the difference between TRT and DE streams: http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/186.aspx

In a nutshell:

TRT - can only submit nomination and application AFTER you have worked for your nominating employer for 2 years on your 457 visa. Basically need to prove employer meets the criteria for nomination and you meet the requirements of the position.

DE - can submit nomination and application at any time (457 isn't required in advance). Employee needs to meet criteria for nomination, you need to meet requirements of the position + have a positive skills assessment and evidence of 3 years relevant experience for the occupation.

TRT nominations/applications are taking about 5-6 months at the moment. This can take longer if you wait until after the nomination is approved to submit the application, in which case it's probably closer to 8-10 months. I'm not sure about DE timing - I *think* it's a little longer than TRT but perhaps someone else can clarify.

For both TRT and DE you and the employer commit to continuing the employment relationship for 2 years but it's not a condition once the visa has been granted (it would probably look dodgy if you quit within a few weeks of it being granted).

Archived