Is it a movie or a film..?

paul1977

It's no different to any other country. Every language is influenced by the dominant culture of the time: that's why "English" is an amalgam of many different languages, layer upon layer of the dominant culture in England at the time. That's why all western languages now use some American/English words. It worries the French so much that they try to introduce laws against it. English spoken in England is no different. The English spoken by teenagers in the UK today is not the same as that spoken by teenagers in the UK in 1950.

I could not agree more. Half the village kids where we came from sounded more American gangster than Bristolian :laugh:

I'm an "old man" in my 60s and it amuses my daughter when I use terms like "pictures" for movies or "wireless" for radio. I think it's sad that many old terms have died out. I really hate it when young shop assistants address me as "buddy". I know "cobber" has died out but it looks like "mate" will soon be replaced by an Americanism.

It already has... Bro

It's no different to any other country. Every language is influenced by the dominant culture of the time: that's why "English" is an amalgam of many different languages, layer upon layer of the dominant culture in England at the time. That's why all western languages now use some American/English words. It worries the French so much that they try to introduce laws against it. English spoken in England is no different. The English spoken by teenagers in the UK today is not the same as that spoken by teenagers in the UK in 1950.

Init

Archived