regional visa

Kirstyj

Hi my partner has sat the ielts test twice now and failed on different subjects, i.e. writing 6.5 now 8, reading 8 now 6.5 he is going to do this one last time. We have been told we can apply for a regional visa (Perth area) for the 10 points needed, can anyone else let me know if this is worth pursuing. I believe you have to live in a designated postcode area and can only work for a company if it is registered to one of the designated areas! Thank you

I think it depends what your occupations are, some people would have more trouble than others finding work in a regional area.

You would need to live and carry out your work in the regional area, having a registered office there will not satisfy the terms of your visa, so Perth is out I am afraid.

I am assuming you mean a 489.

In in which case, you are obliged to live in a regional area for 2 years and work there for 1 year. For some, it makes little difference, but is not practical for others. For example, the closest regional area to Perth is Mandurah and this is a popular area for many people regardless of visa - I am a citizen and chose to live there. However, it has very few opportunities for people who are office based as we don't have many corporate offices here. But, for things like building trades it is fine.

This is the official government list of eligible postcodes for the regional visa.

All of Western Australia is listed as eligible.

https://www.immi.gov.au/employers/rsms_postcodes.htm

That is the list for RSMS employer sponsored visas. The list for 489 state sponsored regional visas is more restricted and doesn't include Perth and surrounding areas..

https://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/regional-growth.htm

Hi my partner has sat the ielts test twice now and failed on different subjects, i.e. writing 6.5 now 8, reading 8 now 6.5 he is going to do this one last time. We have been told we can apply for a regional visa (Perth area) for the 10 points needed, can anyone else let me know if this is worth pursuing. I believe you have to live in a designated postcode area and can only work for a company if it is registered to one of the designated areas! Thank you

He should try a different English test - his varying results indicate that it may be the test rather than his English skills that has been at fault. See the following threads:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/227823-any-one-done-pearsons-english-test-yet.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231707-ielts-v-s-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings.html#post1936733023

Thank you for all your replies, we have looked at the regional postcodes and we know that Perth is out of the question so is Mandurah as its not on the list does anyone live in bullsbrook! My partner is an electriction.

Will add. Mandurah city centre is not on the list. But very few people live in the city centre - mainly holiday appartments. The majority of people live in the areas around the city centre such as halls head, falcon, Erskine, dawesville etc.

It's the regional Australia/low population growth metropolitan areas, if anyone has any feedback on this cheers xx

I am not really sure what you are asking.

As as we have pointed out, the areas eligible start from about Geraldton to the north and from Mandurah to the south and include areas such as York to the East.

Mandurah is one of the most popular areas for this visa as it is close enough to Perth to be able to go into the city for entertainment and is within a regional area.

The he fact of is this is a good option, depends on your occupation.

Sorry to be a pain but my list did not include the postcodes 6200-6700, these areas sound perfect, my partners an electrian so hopefully this is in demand thank you for your help, one last chance at the ielts test !!! X

Archived