Can an Australian company sponsor me on a 457 during my application period for a spouse visa?

CameronsDad

As the title suggests, a company may be in a position to sponsor me, but I applied for the spouse visa last month. Will the company be able to sponsor me during this time and if so, how long will the 457 take?

Would my spouse visa application still run and offer me PR.

Thanks

Yes, this is fine. The company first needs to be an approved sponsor, so if this is already in place that will help the timing as it takes 1-2 months to get. The nomination and application, if lodged together take 4-8 weeks usually. If it were close to the timing when your partner visa were to be approved, I'd caution you about making sure the 457 isn't granted after the partner visa, since the second visa is the one you'd end up with. But this is very unlikely if you only lodged your partner visa a month ago.

• 1 month later...

Folks, the company I am speaking to has not made any progress with things and have come back to say they want me soon, but they are not approved sponsors at this moment.

My Partner visa is due from January onward, but they would like me to explore other options that would allow me to get there sooner without sponsoring. Is there any other type of visa that would suit to plug the gap between now and my Partner visa being grantd?

Thanks

Folks, the company I am speaking to has not made any progress with things and have come back to say they want me soon, but they are not approved sponsors at this moment.

My Partner visa is due from January onward, but they would like me to explore other options that would allow me to get there sooner without sponsoring. Is there any other type of visa that would suit to plug the gap between now and my Partner visa being grantd?

Thanks

Are you eligible for the working holiday visa?

Otherwise there is only the skilled migrant visa, but that is a big expense and hassle and would only get you there a couple of months sooner if you are lucky.

Thanks Bungo, but I'm afraid I'm past the point of no return for the WHV. Nine years over.

I think I'll need to sweet talk them to wait.

actually, if I go to Australia on the holiday visa that I still have from December, can they give me a bridging visa by applying for the skilled migrant visa onshore?

You can go on a working visa, as I ask immi the other day, while the partner visa is going through ,as I ask if my partner wanted to work while it was going through they said yep and then when the. Visa is granted it will just go to pr one

You can go on a working visa, as I ask immi the other day, while the partner visa is going through ,as I ask if my partner wanted to work while it was going through they said yep and then when the. Visa is granted it will just go to pr one

There are loads of visas that allow working but nothing called a "working visa".

Thanks Bungo, but I'm afraid I'm past the point of no return for the WHV. Nine years over.

I think I'll need to sweet talk them to wait.

actually, if I go to Australia on the holiday visa that I still have from December, can they give me a bridging visa by applying for the skilled migrant visa onshore?

The he skilled migrant visa process is quite complicated and expensive. You would have to gets skills assessed, English tests done, lodge expression of interest and get an invitation before you can even lodge an application. That could take months, depending on what your job is. And would cost you several thousand dollar. You also would not necessarily get a bridging visa that enables work even if you did apply onshore.

Fact is, if employer wants to employ somebody without a visa, they need to be willing and able to sponsor. Or wait.

The he skilled migrant visa process is quite complicated and expensive. You would have to gets skills assessed, English tests done, lodge expression of interest and get an invitation before you can even lodge an application. That could take months, depending on what your job is. And would cost you several thousand dollar. You also would not necessarily get a bridging visa that enables work even if you did apply onshore.

Fact is, if employer wants to employ somebody without a visa, they need to be willing and able to sponsor. Or wait.

Thanks mate. Is there a resource online where I can find out more about the company sponsorship route, so that I can give them a steer? They are a bit unsure of the process and costs, timelines etc, and if I sought out the info, I'm sure I could explain to them.

cheers

http://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_tr_info.html

this might help you out more, information on temporary work visa, until the migration one comes through,

Thanks Aussie Girl

So, is your partner applying for the Short Stay Temporary Work Visa whilst in the UK, having recently applied for the offshore Partner visa?

If this is the case, it might be an option, but there is a risk that I won't get my partner visa within those three months.

the long stay temp work visa is a 2-3 month wait time.

Only trying to help, and what the Australian house told me Friday, as my other half is going on my back on a partner migration visa, and she told me if he wanted to work he would need this visa until the migration ones comes through

None of those visas are suitable in the OPs situation. These are short term business visas that are appropriate for attending conferences or courses, but definitely not for going over and commencing employment.

I'm willing to look at all options, but if it does not suit, then Company Sponsorship might be the best option. Is there a visa reference number for that one?

Only trying to help, and what the Australian house told me Friday, as my other half is going on my back on a partner migration visa, and she told me if he wanted to work he would need this visa until the migration ones comes through

Well you were told wrong. Australia House are administrators, they are not there to provide visa advice. If you need advice, you need to consult a migration agent.

• 4 weeks later...

The company have taken some advice and are now looking at a 457 on hire labour agreement. Where a third party company would employ me until my 309/100 visa comes through. Does anyone have any experience of the 'on hire' arrangements?

Thanks

that takes me full circle in this thread as it's the visa I thought I'd need in the first place. I think I'll contact a MARA agent in Oz.

thanks for your help, one and all!

If you were go onshore and apply for an onshore partner visa you would be granted a bridging visa with work rights that would activate as soon as the visa you came on expired.

If you were go onshore and apply for an onshore partner visa you would be granted a bridging visa with work rights that would activate as soon as the visa you came on expired.

Hi, I've already got a 309/100 application ongoing from March this year, offshore. So that limits me a fair bit. The company have suggested that I work for an 'on-hire' company who will sponsor me for my 457, and they hire me out to the company I will ultimately work for when my partner visa comes through.

Do you know if that is a common arrangement, and should I be worried at all?

Cheers

Archived