Why scan certified copies instead of original documents?

goliveira

Does anybody here understand why the DIBP requires certified copies of documents in 189 Skilled Independent Visa applications?

If all documents are going to be digitized and uploaded electronically, why would they prefer us to scan a certified copy instead of the original document?

I find this so strange!

For me, the best thing for them should be to require the original document to be digitized. That would produce the best possible electronic document, and, therefore, make it difficult to counterfeit anything.

Has anybody ever tried to simply scan and submit original documents? If so, did it cause any trouble?

Because the document is certified as a true copy of the original. Originals may not be originals, with colour copiers etc these days they have to be sure. That is why we have certification. Yes they can do that too, falsely, but I guess they have to go through the motions.

They don't. You can scan and upload colour copies of originals and it has been that way for many years, was six years ago when I got my visa.

Actually they do:

The page http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/pages/checklists/189.aspx says:

All supporting documents must be scanned and uploaded with your application. All documents that you provide must be certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless specifically requested to do so by the department. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

And this other page too:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/preparing-your-application.aspx

Every visa application requires various supporting documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, proof of identity etc.

Unless asked to do otherwise, you should provide 'certified copies' of original documents, rather than the original documents.

Because the document is certified as a true copy of the original. Originals may not be originals, with colour copiers etc these days they have to be sure. That is why we have certification. Yes they can do that too, falsely, but I guess they have to go through the motions.

I see .. The problem is that in some countries such as Brazil, where I live, the kind of agency that is legally allowed to produce 'certified copies' (known as 'Cartórios') will only guarantee that they made a true copy of whatever you took to them. They will not check or guarantee that the original document you showed them is an original. I am pretty sure that the same happens in many other places around South America.

I see .. The problem is that in some countries such as Brazil, where I live, the kind of agency that is legally allowed to produce 'certified copies' (known as 'Cartórios') will only guarantee that they made a true copy of whatever you took to them. They will not check or guarantee that the original document you showed them is an original. I am pretty sure that the same happens in many other places around South America.

Just upload colour copies. It will not be queried and I am sure if they saw this thread, thousands of PIO members will be able to confirm this.

Just out of curiosity:

Do you know if in the UK, or even Australia, the agencies that make 'certified copies' of documents will check and guarantee that your birth certificate, marriage certificate, or simple school records are authentic?

Or would they just guarantee that they made a true copy of whatever you took to them?

Just out of curiosity:

Do you know if in the UK, or even Australia, the agencies that make 'certified copies' of documents will check and guarantee that your birth certificate, marriage certificate, or simple school records are authentic?

Or would they just guarantee that they made a true copy of whatever you took to them?

Point two

They definitely accept uncertified colour scans of originals regardless of what the document checklists say and if a CO wants anything else, they will ask.

@Killara (a respected RMA and lawyer) posted to another thread on the same subject just a few days ago. I had written that scans of originals were better than scans of certified copies and he pointed out that that wasn't correct in all cases but he also verified that colour scans of uncertified originals are usually acceptable.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231650-visa-189-certified-copy-degree-certificate-2.html#post1936732923

Just out of curiosity:

After 4 years PR's are eligible to apply for citizenship in Australia and therefore must provide the original birth certificate to the interview/test and often the original marriage certificate (voluntary) as an supporting document as well. At least at that point in time DIBP checks an original document and they should know how a genuine birth + marriage certificate looks like, for sure!

Archived