Emigrating with an 18 year old dependant 457 visa

haiste

Hi, I have been approached by my employer in the UK with a view of emigrating to Australia and starting a new job down under. When it comes to the visa what I am being offered is:- They will bring me and my family in on one 457 visa, this is valid for 4 years and at 2 years in they sponsor me through to permanent residency (subclass 186), again this includes all family and dependents.

My question is my oldest son is 18 years old in September and would like to look for an apprenticeship in engineering. would his age be a problem with the visa that I am being offered and what would be the attitude of prospective employers towards employing a newly arrived 18 year old? would he have an equal chance of finding an apprenticeship. would he be classed as a dependent when he is 20 years old and an apprentice?

If he is in education still, then he is probably currently dependent for a visa perspective.

It would be hard for him to get an apprenticeship while on a 457. A lot of family members of those on 457's have a struggle, because it is only a temporary visa.

The other issue would be that, by the time he found an apprenticeship, there could technically be less time left on his visa than the duration of the apprenticeship. The last issue would be TAFE - college - most apprenticeships require some study, but he would be classed as an international student and so have to pay fairly expensive fees

Guest Chewitts
Hi, I have been approached by my employer in the UK with a view of emigrating to Australia and starting a new job down under. When it comes to the visa what I am being offered is:- They will bring me and my family in on one 457 visa, this is valid for 4 years and at 2 years in they sponsor me through to permanent residency (subclass 186), again this includes all family and dependents.

My question is my oldest son is 18 years old in September and would like to look for an apprenticeship in engineering. would his age be a problem with the visa that I am being offered and what would be the attitude of prospective employers towards employing a newly arrived 18 year old? would he have an equal chance of finding an apprenticeship. would he be classed as a dependent when he is 20 years old and an apprentice?

It is possible for them to sponsor you on a permanent visa from the outset (186 Direct Entry stream)

Hi,

we too came to Aus on a 457 visa, with a 16 and 18 year old.

We applied for PR after about 9months, both kids were working, wasnt an issue.

friends of of ours, using the same agent have just got their 21 year old thru on on their PR, even though he wasnt on the original 457 visa.

We were nearly put off coming here because we thought eldest DD wouldn't get to stay.

Glad we took the risk

You should look to get your employer to sponsor you for the permanent visa immediately, not after two years for your 18 year olds sake. Main reason being I think he would struggle to get an apprenticeship whilst on a temporary visa, apprenticeships are hard won and there are going to be a lot of people ahead of him that don't run the risk of having to leave the country at short notice.

If you do get the 457 for two years initially and he works, he can still progress to PR with you if you get the employer sponsored visa through the transition stream. But if by that time your employer cannot sponsor for any reason and you decide to go for a skilled migrant visa, well in this case if he is working, I am pretty sure he cannot go on your visa, so he is left visa less.

It's not as simple as "it's dfficult to find an apprenticeship on a 457 visa" it's more like Yu cannot get an apprenticeship on a 457 or any temporary visa. Apprenticeships are government funded programs for citizens, and in some cases PR visa holders (most are restricted to citizens). The employer is paid a salary subsidy to take on an apprentice and they cannot be used for indviduals on temporary visas. Your son will need to delay his apprenticeship plans until he has PR or citizenship status.

Archived