So fed up

MelbourneTractor

So I've had plenty of problems settling in post emigration, but I was just starting to feel at home when I got sent to Canberra with work.

I'm fed up of being away fron my family and this making all of us feel home sick.

the guy I replaced here had the same problem and was told to suck it up or find another job, I've no idea what to do.

Working away is hard, and as someone that has to do it, all i can say is if it makes you and your family unhappy, then dont. Work is not worth your family

I worked a way a lot in the UK and it never caused a problem, I think the lack of a support network for us is causing the issue.

My missus used to go to friends and family when I was away but not she is home alone and its not doing here any good.

I agree that family comes first and will quit if I have to.

So I've had plenty of problems settling in post emigration, but I was just starting to feel at home when I got sent to Canberra with work.

I'm fed up of being away fron my family and this making all of us feel home sick.

the guy I replaced here had the same problem and was told to suck it up or find another job, I've no idea what to do.

Life is too short. Take the second of the two mentioned options.

That's why I've never really chased the extra money for the FIFO jobs. I reckon it's a single mans game, my son is fine doing it at the moment and earning good money. The extra money, for me, wouldn't have been worth the risk to my marriage and extra stress on the wife and family. I have to go away with work sometimes but it's always to a decent hotel, in a nice place, we get out for nice meals and a few beers and work are paying. It's not often either.

I know too many married people that FIFO has caused problems for.

Well as blunt as the guys advice was (suck it up or leave)he is right!Can I ask how long you're expected to be in Canberra for?If its for a shortish time frame I would be inclined to suck it up. Any job is better than no job,and yes I do understand your wife has no support network,but if its a temp type job placement,she may agree to give it more time.

That's hard for you Melb . I would start looking around for another job but keep the one you have until you find one if it were me. Also, as others say, it depends how long they expect you to be up in Canberra- if only a few weeks/months I would just put up with it. If more- no way.

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately the life of a SCADA Engineer means working near and far, I could be on a site in Melbourne next week or I could be in Canberra until next xmas.

It's frustrating but I love the work and my OH was ok with the travel in the UK.

Seriously thinking about going back to the UK as my old jobs there if I want it.

Archived