WA unemployment rockets

paul1977

Well guess l kinda let that one work out as l only work 4 days a week so l get long weekends... never see a Monday rush hour....... yep life is for living... learnt long ago that 2 jobs didn't have to mean working 7 days.....

I wouldn't feel guilty and I wouldn't feel lucky niether after all life is for living according to ya profile pic lol :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perth is at the commencement of a rather major downturn yet many still refuse to acknowledge it. These things take time though to filter down. Those here longer may recall 2003 and the start of the boom and stories of massive staff shortages and pay reaching the sky for the most mundane tasks up North at least. I recall the rapid rise in house prices. Should purchased four or five at the time as would be worth many millions now.

Didn't know that, Flag...It was booming in the 1960s after 'Pig Iron' Bob Menzies in 1966. That gave Lang Hancock the go ahead for the untapped wealth of the Pilbara.

Cheers, Bobj.

Perth is at the commencement of a rather major downturn yet many still refuse to acknowledge it. These things take time though to filter down. Those here longer may recall 2003 and the start of the boom and stories of massive staff shortages and pay reaching the sky for the most mundane tasks up North at least. I recall the rapid rise in house prices. Should purchased four or five at the time as would be worth many millions now.

Didn't know that, Flag...It was booming in the 1960s after 'Pig Iron' Bob Menzies in 1966. That gave Lang Hancock the go ahead for the untapped wealth of the Pilbara.

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes I am aware of that. At that point it was coming of a largely agricultural base and wages though low so were prices. That initial boom lifted WA up and saw Perth grow. This boom just experienced just lifted everything to world city (or more ) high prices, saw an explosion in unsubstantial wages and greed built on cheap credit. Hardly an ideal combination. A good dose of deflation would be ideal in my books, see a return to prices pre boom conditions plus account taken of inflation added.

Well guess l kinda let that one work out as l only work 4 days a week so l get long weekends... never see a Monday rush hour....... yep life is for living... learnt long ago that 2 jobs didn't have to mean working 7 days.....

Life is certainly more than work but I suppose some must make sacrifices in order to pay the insane prices.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29492[/ATTACH] Well the uk is picking up ...but then again it never dropped off for us horses for courses hubbie had tons of work in uk . Nobody's asking people to go back , but I wish the truth was out there before we landed instead of everyone saying it was hunky dory !

Should have read me. I've be saying the state of things could not continue for about four years. It was all to obvious. Money being spent like candy. A hundred year plus boom or whatever nonsense was being sprouted at the time. House prices reaching London levels. Those of us that conveyed the message obviously opened ourselves to ridicule from the deniers and fairies at the bottom of the garden Perth luvvie types. What is not still clear is how much damage has been done and what degree of correction is required.

I detect the East Coast is to some extent expressing a degree of glee at the misfortune WA is finding itself. Not a lot of love there.

Yes I am aware of that. At that point it was coming of a largely agricultural base and wages though low so were prices. That initial boom lifted WA up and saw Perth grow. This boom just experienced just lifted everything to world city (or more ) high prices, saw an explosion in unsubstantial wages and greed built on cheap credit. Hardly an ideal combination. A good dose of deflation would be ideal in my books, see a return to prices pre boom conditions plus account taken of inflation added.

Being pedantic...You only mentioned '2003 and the start of the boom'. And now you say you are aware of that...Tch,tch...:wink:

One wonders why you never mentioned it earlier, then, because it really was the start of the boom. Look at the number of iron ore mines and rail lines that were built a bit earlier than 2003...I helped build 2 rail lines in 1971/2, a good 30 years before that, Then there was the huge Burmah Woodside project on the Burrup Peninsular in 1981, yes, I helped there, too. That was an $8b job. Everyone on those projects were on twice the normal wages.

So, up ya for the rent...:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

Being pedantic...You only mentioned '2003 and the start of the boom'. And now you say you are aware of that...Tch,tch...:wink:

One wonders why you never mentioned it earlier, then, because it really was the start of the boom. Look at the number of iron ore mines and rail lines that were built a bit earlier than 2003...I helped build 2 rail lines in 1971/2, a good 30 years before that, Then there was the huge Burmah Woodside project on the Burrup Peninsular in 1981, yes, I helped there, too. That was an $8b job. Everyone on those projects were on twice the normal wages.

So, up ya for the rent...:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

Because this boom was the mother of all booms in WA. Just look at the increase in shipping tonnage leaving Port Hedland or Dampier. Far, far greater than days of old. Perth has changed more in this boom than in the last one hundred years it has been said. I don't think young could not afford house prices in previous boom times. Now there is serious leverage issues with cheap money adding to the fire. We have the highest personal debt in the world or close to it to pay these inflated prices. Besides the biggest boom the state has no money in the kitty. Spent it. Where is our Sovereign Fund like Norway managed to put away? I have some understanding why the other states are none too happy.

Smaller populations more icing on the cake to go around as well in those days. This boom has made some very rich. It has left others badly behind. No this boom is same in name only. In all other ways rather different and hardly beneficial.

Big headline but carry on reading and WA still has the lowest unemployment of any state at 5.2%. Way below the National average of 6.2%. With all the bad news coming out at the moment though. Atlas Iron and the like I can see it increasing a bit. Balga, Girrawheen, Mirrabooka that get mentioned are not unexpectedly mentioned. If you live here you'll know why.

Great to hear Colin Barnett having a real go at RIO Tinto and BHP last week. He was seething about Atlas Iron and said they have been a real success story of WA, Opening mines when the big 2 wouldn't touch them and building up a great business. He didn't exactly threaten the big 2 but said they have to remember that the ore is owned by WA and the government are effectively the landlords. They own the ports and a lot of the infrastructure that the miners need to get the ore out.

It will be interesting to see if he does put restrictions on production. He talks like a Labour leader at times, when he's talking about social issues and looking after WA's interests.:cool:

I don't disagree that there is big changes in Perth and WA.

A blind man on a galloping horse can see it. Even in the 3 years we have been here, the difference from when we first arrived is v easy to see.

But what it will actually mean to joe public isn't yet clear. Tbh, when we first arrived I found it all a bit Mickey Mouse, far too many cashed up bogans and inflated prices.

for those of us lucky enough to keep our jobs (fingers crossed on that one) it might just mean a more affordable standard of living. The cost of eating out used to be and still is to certain extent,really stupidly priced but now we are at least seeing places dropping their prices and offering a better deal, hopefully more will follow.

Rentals....who would now pay the asking price, never mind over the odds. Friends of ours have renegotiated their weekly rent down from $600 a week to $470. They are still earning the same wages, but said they wouldn't renew their lease because they now having to pay to go thru their PR, while also paying two lots of the school fees brought in on the 457. The owners knew they were good tentants and Didnt want to loose them.

Anyway, in the long term, we all still have UK passports.....apparently its booming there. No probs we can just head back.

UK average unemployment rate is still at 5.7% fifi. So if that's booming and a success story then it's got a way to go yet. You can guarantee that if there are a lot of jobs down South and the rate is low there will be places in the North of England that would make Girrawheen and Balga look like fantastic places to live.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29492[/ATTACH] Well the uk is picking up ...but then again it never dropped off for us horses for courses hubbie had tons of work in uk . Nobody's asking people to go back , but I wish the truth was out there before we landed instead of everyone saying it was hunky dory !

There will be some people in Perth like you and your hubby too Shelly, that won't be out of work and really won't have anything to worry about. It's not affected us but then again neither me or the wife don't work in the Oil and Gas or mining sectors. Our son does but he's going back on another swing on Thursday and getting inducted at a BHP mine, so another string to his bow. The company he works for hasn't seen a downturn yet. They were quite for 3 weeks but he says they are now going to be busy for the next few months. Just got to hope he's right.

I know of only one person lost his job and he wanted it. He got made redundant from Qantas and he'd been there a long time, so wanted it.

Big headline tad as rry on reading and WA has the lowest unemployment of any state at 5.2%. Way below the National average of 6.2%. With all th news coming out at the moment though. Atlas Iron and the like I can see it increasing a bit. Balga, Girrawheen, Mirrabooka that get mentioned are not unexpectedly mentioned. If you live here you'll know why.

Great to hear Colin Barnett having a real go at RIO Tinto and BHP last week. He was seething about Atlas Iron and said they have been a real success story of WA, Opening mines when the big 2 wouldn't touch them and building up a great business. He didn't exactly threaten the big 2 but said they have to remember that the ore is owned by WA and the government are effectively the landlords. They own the ports and a lot of the infrastructure that the miners need to get the ore out.

It will be interesting to see if he does put restrictions on production. He talks like a Labour leader at times, when he's talking about social issues and looking after WA's interests.:cool:

Thing is paul your looking at it on todays figures, you know the unemployment rate wont sit there, its sliding fast. within the next 12 months wa will have one of the higgest rates in oz.

Should have read me. I've be saying the state of things could not continue for about four years. It was all to obvious. Money being spent like candy. A hundred year plus boom or whatever nonsense was being sprouted at the time. House prices reaching London levels. Those of us that conveyed the message obviously opened ourselves to ridicule from the deniers and fairies at the bottom of the garden Perth luvvie types. What is not still clear is how much damage has been done and what degree of correction is required.

I detect the East Coast is to some extent expressing a degree of glee at the misfortune WA is finding itself. Not a lot of love there.

My my hubbie can explain it better than me . Lol . No glee here it's been no fun . But he has a job . So carnt moan just don't think it's been a great experience :) and yep ripped apart by the deniers . My hubbie said they can deny all they want but he would explain it better . :)

There will be some people in Perth like you and your hubby too Shelly, that won't be out of work and really won't have anything to worry about. It's not affected us but then again neither me or the wife don't work in the Oil and Gas or mining sectors. Our son does but he's going back on another swing on Thursday and getting inducted at a BHP mine, so another string to his bow. The company he works for hasn't seen a downturn yet. They were quite for 3 weeks but he says they are now going to be busy for the next few months. Just got to hope he's right.

I know of only one person lost his job and he wanted it. He got made redundant from Qantas and he'd been there a long time, so wanted it.

I know now paul my hubbie said he will be fine . But what I was saying when we arrived is when u don't don't see the work and you've moved again lol .and again again haha that's why I've not had a fun time lol .

anyway he's took a engineering managers job now but in wa lol and it's lovely and the people are :) alls ya saying to people is be prepared . :)

Because this boom was the mother of all booms in WA. Just look at the increase in shipping tonnage leaving Port Hedland or Dampier. Far, far greater than days of old. Perth has changed more in this boom than in the last one hundred years it has been said. I don't think young could not afford house prices in previous boom times. Now there is serious leverage issues with cheap money adding to the fire. We have the highest personal debt in the world or close to it to pay these inflated prices. Besides the biggest boom the state has no money in the kitty. Spent it. Where is our Sovereign Fund like Norway managed to put away? I have some understanding why the other states are none too happy.

Smaller populations more icing on the cake to go around as well in those days. This boom has made some very rich. It has left others badly behind. No this boom is same in name only. In all other ways rather different and hardly beneficial.

bigemo_harabe_net-163.gifbigemo_harabe_net-163.gifbigemo_harabe_net-163.gif

Another one worth 3 rofls...

Do you not see it as one 'boom' just getting bigger?

Or, do you have to put the "flag of convenience" seal of approval on it to make it look better to you...

For your information, both Dampier and Port Hedland were sleepy 2 pub villages until THE BOOM started in the 60s. How do I know??? I have been to them both in 1964... And only one other port for coal was built later, Point Sampson for the Robe River iron ore ....And, would you believe it?? I was on that one as well. And it was well before 2003...

Oh...I see; you have just made a 'joke'...BOOM BOOM.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thing is paul your looking at it on todays figures, you know the unemployment rate wont sit there, its sliding fast. within the next 12 months wa will have one of the higgest rates in oz.

Could do Paul, you might be right but to say it's all doom and gloom is overstating the figures. Unemployment and interest rates were sky high when we came. It didn't stop us coming and making a go of it.

To say it's all supposed to be sweetness and light in the UK and things are on the up the unemployment rate is still higher there than here, especially amongst the younger generation. It's still pretty grim up North, I still here from family who are there.

My my hubbie can explain it better than me . Lol . No glee here it's been no fun . But he has a job . So carnt moan just don't think it's been a great experience :) and yep ripped apart by the deniers . My hubbie said they can deny all they want but he would explain it better . :)

Your hubby sounds he is an aware and real sort of bloke. I wouldn't worry about the deniers. To be honest though a lot of Aussies are asking where did we go wrong? As long as we can keep on top of it we may avoid some unexpected surprises.

Could do Paul, you might be right but to say it's all doom and gloom is overstating the figures. Unemployment and interest rates were sky high when we came. It didn't stop us coming and making a go of it.

To say it's all supposed to be sweetness and light in the UK and things are on the up the unemployment rate is still higher there than here, especially amongst the younger generation. It's still pretty grim up North, I still here from family who are there.

Overstating? If anything grossly understating the situation. We are in trouble any economic research will show that. We are just out of the biggest boom in our history and are basically broke. This is nothing like the early 90's which you keep referring to. For one thing unemployment was high but the dole and rent support made it liveable. House prices were cheap as was rent factoring in wages.

Very hard to see a way out of this one unscathed.

Overstating? If anything grossly understating the situation. We are in trouble any economic research will show that. We are just out of the biggest boom in our history and are basically broke. This is nothing like the early 90's which you keep referring to. For one thing unemployment was high but the dole and rent support made it liveable. House prices were cheap as was rent factoring in wages.

Very hard to see a way out of this one unscathed.

No it's nothing like the early 90's, nowhere near as bad.

Your hubby sounds he is an aware and real sort of bloke. I wouldn't worry about the deniers. To be honest though a lot of Aussies are asking where did we go wrong? As long as we can keep on top of it we may avoid some unexpected surprises.

He is he's ace ....I think you and him would get on lol :):):)

bigemo_harabe_net-163.gifbigemo_harabe_net-163.gifbigemo_harabe_net-163.gif

Another one worth 3 rofls...

Do you not see it as one 'boom' just getting bigger?

Or, do you have to put the "flag of convenience" seal of approval on it to make it look better to you...

For your information, both Dampier and Port Hedland were sleepy 2 pub villages until THE BOOM started in the 60s. How do I know??? I have been to them both in 1964... And only one other port for coal was built later, Point Sampson for the Robe River iron ore ....And, would you believe it?? I was on that one as well. And it was well before 2003...

Oh...I see; you have just made a 'joke'...BOOM BOOM.

Cheers, Bobj.

That boom as related in your time came when WA was riding of the sheep's back and agriculture. Of course it was big, WA was a sleepy backward place, and I know very well what Port Hedland was and the new towns developed in the Pilbara. Company towns. It changed WA at the time and many prospered. This boom I'm afraid was bigger and has impacted the entire nation. I believe 40% of national revenue was coming off the back of ore and coal at its height. That is a massive blow to any economy when in decline. It is hard to overstate how massive it was for the entire nation. Not just WA.

Bhp have to sell iron ore at $35 a tonne just to break even now its below $45 a tonne. Makes you wonder whats happened to the money when they where getting $ 150 a tonne. greedy bastards ,now the chickens have come home to roost as they say and their is no money left for further expansion. Thanks guys for your work now naff off.

Archived