What Backpacks did everyone take :)

Tom30

40 litres isn't that big, 65l might be a better "big" option. I have a Kathmandu with a piggyback day pack but it's about 7 yrs old now and superseded. There are loads of good options around - I have a Lowe Airzone day pack which I wear all the time - it'd be much too small for your purposes but I would be looking at larger capacities in that style if mine bit the dust. I tend to think that cheap isn't really better and you don't want one which is uncarryable or inclined to fall apart when you're on an adventure. Check out any of the major bushwalking stores and try some on. Try them weighted (they'll pack 20kg in it so you can check in the shop). Adjustable backs are useful (well for us small females!) and the only other "luxury" add on I will never be without again is a straps cover of some sort so you can avoid getting straps snagged on airport machinery. I've had top loaders and all round zips for more case like loading - doesn't really bother me but I know a lot of people like the "case" access. On my last trip I tried packing cells - very light weight ones and I love them! Will be using them again for sure. Ogling backpacks is one of my window shopping enjoyments - just in case I ever need a new one LOL. At almost 66 I still don't own a case but will admit there aren't too many of us old chooks backpacking these days!

Berghaus is good gear. This chap's thinking about packs is worth a read http://gapyearescape.com/top-10-gap-year-travel-backpacks/

he includes that one but before buying, find one in a store and try it on first - then you can buy on line if you want.

I can't recommend enough that you get one fitted. Backpacks are like shoes; you'll get one on but if it sits in the wrong place it will make you very sore. I've always gone for ones with frames that the straps fit to, they are heavier but fully adjustable, and you need it so your hips support the weight, not your lower back or shoulders.

You haven't indicated how you intend to travel. First, definitely get it fitted. Second, if you only intend to carry it from the baggage carousel to the bus then from bus to hostel, your requirements are very different from trekking.

Wheels would even be an option for the former, while a well fitted quality backpack for the latter.

• 1 month later...

Very sensible. Parking is a pain in major cities though.

If you plan to sleep in your car, choose the your location carefully. Many local councils (including Cairns) do not permit sleeping in cars in the tourist areas.

It's a great way to travel. Consider an SUV or 4WD if going truly outback as the highways will not be sealed. If traveling extensively in the centre consider an epirb. Read widely on safe traveling in the outback. Every year there are reports of Europeans perishing due to breaking down and not knowing how to survive.

Finally, distances are massive. Cairns to Brisbane is 19 hours constant driving and is only 200kms different than London to Barcelona, and you haven't even driven end to end of Queensland. But it is amazing.

Archived