Any Americans with shipping advice?????

doctdavis

Hey guys,

We were just granted our PR visa and are looking at getting our household items shipped to Queensland. I'm trying to find a shipping company to bring a 20 foot container to my house, let me fill it and then do the same thing once it gets to Queensland.

Please tell me that one of you has done this already and can recommend a shipping company. I've been looking all over the place and have only been able to find movers that want to come in my house and pack everything for me.

HELP!!!

The difficulty will be that most of our members are from the UK and might not know of any US based companies. It's pretty much the norm for companies to pack for you - to be honest they do a fantastic job - it took our packers 2 days to do our home and I honestly thought they wouldn't get everything in the container but they did. I don't know if it's true - but have heard more than once that self packed items are subject to greater scrutiny when they arrive in customs here.

The difficulty will be that most of our members are from the UK and might not know of any US based companies. It's pretty much the norm for companies to pack for you - to be honest they do a fantastic job - it took our packers 2 days to do our home and I honestly thought they wouldn't get everything in the container but they did. I don't know if it's true - but have heard more than once that self packed items are subject to greater scrutiny when they arrive in customs here.

Call me an overachiever or maybe I'm just very excited but our house is all packed up, inventoried, boxes are labeled, things are bubble wrapped and we are ready to just move it to a container.

Can you say air mattress and paper plates!

We actually found a company that is going to drop off a container, leave it for the weekend, give us all of the document needed and deliver it to our rental destination in Queensland to be unloaded by us. Not too bad on the price I thought. $5250 for a 20 ft container. We're leaving all electronics and just bringing the basics so it should all fit. (fingers crossed)

Call me an overachiever or maybe I'm just very excited but our house is all packed up, inventoried, boxes are labeled, things are bubble wrapped and we are ready to just move it to a container.

Can you say air mattress and paper plates!

We actually found a company that is going to drop off a container, leave it for the weekend, give us all of the document needed and deliver it to our rental destination in Queensland to be unloaded by us. Not too bad on the price I thought. $5250 for a 20 ft container. We're leaving all electronics and just bringing the basics so it should all fit. (fingers crossed)

You didn't say that you'd already packed your belongings and that was why you only wanted a container - would have altered the reply I gave you.

You didn't say that you'd already packed your belongings and that was why you only wanted a container - would have altered the reply I gave you.

Hey Ali,

Ya, I guess I should have mentioned it :) Sure do appreciate the comment though, anything helps.

When we moved ( from Texas) we planned to use upakweship.com. We didn`t plan on bringing a furniture though and it seemed like it`s not worth it to spend money on just a couple of boxes. We started fresh :). You mention that you aren`t bringing electronics, I would strongly suggest that you reconsider. Not a TV or kitchen items as such BUT a laptop, desktop, camera, IPad, Kindle, cell phone etc are double the price here.

When we moved ( from Texas) we planned to use upakweship.com. We didn`t plan on bringing a furniture though and it seemed like it`s not worth it to spend money on just a couple of boxes. We started fresh :). You mention that you aren`t bringing electronics, I would strongly suggest that you reconsider. Not a TV or kitchen items as such BUT a laptop, desktop, camera, IPad, Kindle, cell phone etc are double the price here.

Thanks for the info. I have to bring a bunch of my office equipment with me to start a new chiropractic center. Since I have to put it on a container anyways we thought we'd just pack that thing full of the rest of the household items we love the most. Computers, tablets and phones are coming for sure. HUMMMM ...... Maybe it's time to get that new Galaxy S6 after all! What about washers and dryers? Ours is HUGE (we have 4 kids) Is it worth it to bring them or do they just not fit/work there?

I'm really sad to have to sell my home theater system :( but that's the price you pay I guess.

What else do you all wish someone had told you to bring? Like 10 new pairs of Nikes or what?

Thanks for the info! They quoted $13,000 for half container :shocked: I might have to give them another call...:err:

Too bad for us that you are in QLD...my chiropractor advised on finding north american chiropractor when we move to Sydney, and he was even going to check that for me. Do you know if the Australian and European chiropractors are trained differently?

In regards to moving stuff, we do not have much as we would like to start fresh, but there are items that are just not worth selling and might come handy in the beginning - like my Dyson, Vitamix, Actifry, etc. I know I have to use a converter but otherwise I have to give it away and they are so expensive in Australia.

Thanks for the info. I have to bring a bunch of my office equipment with me to start a new chiropractic center. Since I have to put it on a container anyways we thought we'd just pack that thing full of the rest of the household items we love the most. Computers, tablets and phones are coming for sure. HUMMMM ...... Maybe it's time to get that new Galaxy S6 after all! What about washers and dryers? Ours is HUGE (we have 4 kids) Is it worth it to bring them or do they just not fit/work there?

I'm really sad to have to sell my home theater system :( but that's the price you pay I guess.

What else do you all wish someone had told you to bring? Like 10 new pairs of Nikes or what?

I don`t think that the washer and dryer would work in here ( or fit anywhere) unless you were prepared to pay someone to rewire it for you - I have looked into it just a little and it seems like asking to be electrocuted. I didn`t find the washers too expensive. Our rental came with a dryer that fits 5 kg, not great but still better than nothing. Definitely bring shoes, not only sport shoes, all kinds. Children`s clothes and shoes. The Children`s place have sales at the most convenient times ( bought lots online in March because they had winter sale) and from time to time, free shipping too . Stride Rite, however, charge so much for shipping that I got them here for double the US price and was sure they would fit.

In time, you will find places that don`t charge a fortune but the sticker shock is a real thing :wink:. Especially compared to Texas. Guess I wouldn`t be that surprised moving from the Northeast.

Thanks for the info! They quoted $13,000 for half container :shocked: I might have to give them another call...:err:

Too bad for us that you are in QLD...my chiropractor advised on finding north american chiropractor when we move to Sydney, and he was even going to check that for me. Do you know if the Australian and European chiropractors are trained differently?

In regards to moving stuff, we do not have much as we would like to start fresh, but there are items that are just not worth selling and might come handy in the beginning - like my Dyson, Vitamix, Actifry, etc. I know I have to use a converter but otherwise I have to give it away and they are so expensive in Australia.

13000 is ridiculous IMO. You should be able to get it for much less than that. We wanted to take the Ubox and were quoted 2500 USD. The Ubox actually seems to fit quite a lot, I think they had an ad where they put the contents of a 2 bedroom apartment in there.

This was from Texas but really, 10000$ difference between US and Canada??

@doctdavis, if you like Mexican/texmex, you might want to bring spices like chipotle chilli powder and some salsas in jars ( haven`t seen green tomatillo salsa anywhere :cry:).

OOOOO Dang, Mexican food is my favorite and I make some killer fish tacos. I guess I'll just have to make my own salsa. When we were in Noosa we ate at a little Mexican place. Definitely not the same as here but close enough when I'm going through withdrawals :)

I don`t think that the washer and dryer would work in here ( or fit anywhere) unless you were prepared to pay someone to rewire it for you - I have looked into it just a little and it seems like asking to be electrocuted. I didn`t find the washers too expensive. Our rental came with a dryer that fits 5 kg, not great but still better than nothing. Definitely bring shoes, not only sport shoes, all kinds. Children`s clothes and shoes. The Children`s place have sales at the most convenient times ( bought lots online in March because they had winter sale) and from time to time, free shipping too . Stride Rite, however, charge so much for shipping that I got them here for double the US price and was sure they would fit.

In time, you will find places that don`t charge a fortune but the sticker shock is a real thing :wink:. Especially compared to Texas. Guess I wouldn`t be that surprised moving from the Northeast.

Great advice, thanks. Looks like we'll be shoe shopping for sure. I hate to sell our washer and dryer but it sounds like it's not going to work so I'll get those listed on craigslist.

Thanks

Gosh dang! That's an expensive quote. I just saw that you are from Calgary. Not too many ports close by so that might be part of it. I was born in Magrath and have tons of family in Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer and Lethbridge. Nice place up there..... Can see why Australia is appealing :)

US Chiros are licensed primary care physicians. The D.C. program here is equivalent to an M.D. degree as far as time in school and education (obviously there are differences in the programs, they get more toxicology and drug related education and we get more ortho and physical diagnosis). In Australia, the chiropractic licensing program is a bachelors degree program not a doctorate so they just have a 4 year degree in chiropractic vs the average American chiro has a 4 year degree BEFORE even going to chiropractic school. There are good docs and bad docs everywhere but from and education standpoint I would recommend a US educated Chiropractor.

I am going to miss my Vitamix too. So sad, but I'm sure they have them there. I'll have to save some more pesos.

OOOOO Dang, Mexican food is my favorite and I make some killer fish tacos. I guess I'll just have to make my own salsa. When we were in Noosa we ate at a little Mexican place. Definitely not the same as here but close enough when I'm going through withdrawals :)

If Costco doesn't have it get your Mexican supplies here:

Pennisi Cuisine

17 Balaclava Street

Woollongabba, Brisbane

There is a chain called "Guzman y Gomez" and another, Mad Mex. GYG isn`t bad at all, although it doesn`t really compare to the "real" thing :wink:. I still miss my Mexican but I switched to Asian cuisine here - definitely better than anything I found in Houston. Laksa, for one, is to die for :rolleyes:. Curries - very nice too. Started eating quite a bit more lamb meat than in the US - I get it from a butcher so it`s fresh and so delicious!

Archived