Anybody going/been to the Royal Easter Show? (or been to Hyde Park Barracks museum?)

MARYROSE02

I have not been since about 1980 when it was still held in Moore Park, where Fox Studios are now. My optometrist was telling me today how he enjoys it. I keep meaning to go again, but I don't like crowds. With this rotten (Pommie?!) rain over Easter, it might be a bit less crowded?

I went to lunch with a friend of mine to Hyde Park Barracks cafe today, excellent meal too, three courses, bubbly, coffee (he paid!) Then I went to the museum, $5 Senior Entry. I've been meaning to go there for the last 35 years.

The last convict ship came to Sydney in, I think, 1840? The citizens were starting to get sick of seeing convicts in chains around their city by that time. 1868 was the last convict ship to WA (and Australia?)

I still can't believe how Sydney grew so quickly from a little settlement to the huge city it is now.

We went to the Royal Easter Show every year once the kids reached about 6 years old until they were old enough to go on their own. Expensive day out! I preferred the old venue at Moore Park. Have to agree with you about the crowds. Don't think I could handle them these days. ............... and the weather .................. it was either stinking hot or pouring with rain. Still, we always had a great day out.

Yes, Hyde Park Barracks are well worth a visit also the cafe. I like history so went to HP Barracks more than once.

$5 to get in with my Seniors' card! (and $2.50 on the train.)

$5? Really? Do you have a link for that?

I thought the only cheap tickets for Seniors were on the designated Senior's Days (March 31/April 1 so they've already happened) and they were half price then so cost $14.50.

Bargain! Did your treat yourself to a showbag :wink:

Sorry, I was talking about Hyde Park Barracks Museum! That's where I went today, or rather yesterday. I should have put the two events on separate threads. but I thought I'd combine them, especially as I am lucky to get a single reply to any thread which is non-controversial, about life in Sydney!

I have not been since about 1980 when it was still held in Moore Park, where Fox Studios are now. My optometrist was telling me today how he enjoys it. I keep meaning to go again, but I don't like crowds. With this rotten (Pommie?!) rain over Easter, it might be a bit less crowded?

My oh goes every year and has done almost every year for years. I only went a couple of times when it was in Moore Park, but loved it. At the Moore Park site it was held in some lovely old buildings, the displays had their own purpose-built pavilion where they were all arranged in a circle - the new one isn't nearly as nice. In fact the whole Homebush site feels big and faceless, where it had such character at Moore Park.

I've been going along with my oh anyway, but I think the price is a dreadful rip-off, even for Seniors (tip: buy your ticket at Woolworths, it's much cheaper - everywhere else charges an admin fee, even the ticket office at the gate!).

It's nice to stroll around and see the animals, I enjoy the wood-chopping and some of the demonstrations (like the working dogs). However the stalls are all the usual rubbish you get on TV Shopping Channels, the food is all extortionately priced and so are the rides. Even the evening show is rubbish - it's just motorbikes and cars hooning around the stadium. They do good fireworks though.

There are two Seniors' days, I think it's this Tuesday and Wednesday.

We used to take our own picnic. The food at the show is expensive rubbish. The animals were the main reason to go to the show and I agree with Marissa - the wood-chopping is always enjoyable. I always made a bee-line for the cakes/baking and craft .............. so many very talented people displaying their photographs and paintings.

I went on Friday and was surprised at how good it was. I'm not into rides or anything, but the animals and displays were great. The evening was good as well, esp as we smuggled some red wine in. Starting from about 4.30 there was the grand parade, of horses, cows and alpacas. THen there was an interstate horse polo match, then a rodeo which was really fun to watch. The wood chopping match was cancelled because of the rain, but then a sheepdog display. The cars and motorbikes weren't my thing but they were only the last 30 mins or so, so we went for food. THEn the fireworks and we went to the bar which had live music and a small crowd of mostly people who were competing. Heaps of fun!

We've been for the last 3 years. I really enjoy it. Yes its expensive but thats to be expected. We got vastly reduced tickets, so saved abit there. The food is expensive, but its not all rubbish you can find some decent stuff if look around. We spent heaps of time in Woolies food dome and ate so much. Had a few drinks in a couple of the bars, and did some wine tasting. Easy to get to with the free transport, they have the special event buses which we got direct from Cronulla. There's plenty to do for all ages and always something going on. The stuff happening in the main stadium in the evening was really good and the fireworks finale was pretty decent.

I've seen photos recently and it looks identical to Brisbane's Ekka (in August). I wonder if every city in Australia has essentially the same agricultural show or do some cities miss out ?

I just Googled it, and it's the largest such show in Australia, and the sixth largest in the world. I never knew that. I shall Google the Ekka now!

Didn`t go to Easter show because we were out of town, camping. Got coffee from Hyde Park Barracks café today, nice coffee and lovely staff. Just steps away from my workplace and open on Sunday. I didn`t make it to the museum yet but it looks interesting and I am planning to go one day.

Archived