Which visa is best?

tracy little

Hi all, my fiance and I are looking to move to Australia but we're not sure which visa is best for us. My fiance is an auto electrician. Any help please. X

Hi there,

You would be best to contact a visa agent for advice or search on google? do the skills assessment? It all depends on your age? what jobs you do? etc.... You can also check the Skills Shortage List to see if that occupation is there. Hope that helps a bit :rolleyes:

Edited by Birch4

Hi, thanks for your reply, his occupation is on the short list for skills required, originally we were looking for a company to sponsor him but we have since been told it might be better to go for full residency. My fiance is 42 and I am 37.

At 47 he would be best looking at a 189 permanent residency visa IF he can get enough points.If you come on a temporary visa like a 457 at 47 years old then the chances of getting PR at some point in the future are very small. Look at the 189 and see if he can reach the points needed.

If he is a fully qualified Automotive Electrician with 8+ years of post qualification experience, he should scrape through with the 60 points required for a 189 Independent visa but will need to get 20 points for Superior English.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx 189 visa

Before he can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) in applying for a visa, he must have a positive skills assessment. In the UK, Auto Electricians are assessed under the TRA Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP).

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Offshore/Pages/default.aspx OSAP

At the same time, he needs to do one of the English tests and achieve a level of Superior English. Of the available tests, I suggest that he does PTE (Academic). It's not long been acceptable for Australian immigration purposes, but it seems to be easier to pass than IELTS.

http://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/how-can-i-prove-i-have-superior-english.aspx How can I prove I have superior English?

If he falls short of points for experience or English skills, his occupation is sponsored by several states so as long as he has a positive skills assessment and 50 or 55 points, a state sponsored 190 (permanent - 55 points required) or 489 (provisional - 50 points required) visa should be possible.

When you add the time it will take for skills assessment to the time for visa processing, you're probably looking at 6-9 months before getting a visa. It may be less than that, but skills assessment can cause delays if limited testing dates are available. If state sponsrship is required, that will add to the time.