Citizenship

BearnBob

Folks,

Not an urgent but out of interest question.

We are moving in a weeks time (Yikes) and were trying to work out how our citizenship might pan out in due course.

We spent 7 weeks in Oz in 2012, whilst validating the visa, 7 weeks in 2014 job hunting an finally got the job at Christmas.

Do these two periods of residence count towards our citizenship providing in due course we fulfil the other criteria. Of the other criteria am I right in thinking its four years and the 12 months prior to application being resident or on an RRV for no more than 90 days?

Bear

You haven't given enough specific dates for a definitive answer but if you don't leave the country again, you'll probably be eligible to apply 3 years less 7 weeks after you arrive this time. That's not certain because we don't know exactly when the 7 weeks was in 2014 though if it was late in the year, what I've said should be right. You've lost the 7 weeks in 2012.

Ozmaniac,

Thank you - really helpful.

I managed to get my dates mixed up so in fact it was July and August 2013 when we last visited and 2011 when we validated.

I'm therefore assuming the 2011 dates are far too far in the distance but might the 2013 weeks still count?

For some reason I thought it was four years for citizenship: more than happy for it to be three if I have read your reply correctly.

The only relevance of the question is for the eldest who is going to be a student in Oz and it might affect the loan system. As PR holders we don't qualify at the mo but it might help for her final year of study.

Bear

Ozmaniac,

I managed to get my dates mixed up so in fact it was July and August 2013 when we last visited and 2011 when we validated.

I'm therefore assuming the 2011 dates are far too far in the distance but might the 2013 weeks still count?

For some reason I thought it was four years for citizenship: more than happy for it to be three if I have read your reply correctly.

The only relevance of the question is for the eldest who is going to be a student in Oz and it might affect the loan system. As PR holders we don't qualify at the mo but it might help for her final year of study.

Bear

It is four years.

If you go to http://www.citizenship.gov.au there is a residence calculator which will work it out for you down to the day :)

Ozmaniac,

Bear

No the 2013 is not going to count, because by the time you come to apply for citizenship, that will be more than four years ago.

It is four years for citizenship, but are allowed up to one year out of the country in total, so when you move back you can count the next three years (going forward) and the previous year within your total. Your 2013 dates will be outside that timeframe so it is not relevant for citizenship counter.

The citizenship requirements are 4 years residency immediately before applying, with maximum of 12 months out of the country in the 4 years and 90 days in the final 12 months.

As as you already hold PR, you can use the 12 months out of the country at the start of the residency requirement (as you last left Australia as a PR and held a PR overseas), so you will be eligible in 3 years if you don't leave, and any amount of time you do leave for will move the eligibility by the number of weeks forward.