Working for UK Income while in Auz

Hi

Planning our move in November.

I own several properties in the UK and am also a Director / Shareholder of several UK Companies (Small Businesses)

My plan is to continue to work and earn money from these Companies... what would my tax situation be? Do I continue to pay tax in the UK then just bring the money 'post-tax' to auz and spend it... or do I need to somehow not pay tax in the UK and pay it in Auz?

At the moment I earn £7100 / year via PAYE and take the rest of my income via Dividends. I also earn property income directly from the houses I own and rent out.

Thanks

Other thing that occurs to me, what if I setup a Australian company that charged my uk company for 'services' (I can justify this)... then this would make the Uk Company not pay tax... the australian company would then pay me by Auz equivilient of PAYE / Dividends (whatever they are?)?

Hi

Planning our move in November.

I own several properties in the UK and am also a Director / Shareholder of several UK Companies (Small Businesses)

My plan is to continue to work and earn money from these Companies... what would my tax situation be? Do I continue to pay tax in the UK then just bring the money 'post-tax' to auz and spend it... or do I need to somehow not pay tax in the UK and pay it in Auz?

At the moment I earn £7100 / year via PAYE and take the rest of my income via Dividends. I also earn property income directly from the houses I own and rent out.

Thanks

There are various different types of income in there: employment income, investment income (from dividends) and then rental property income. The rules are not the same for each income stream. But I would suggest you ask your accountant about this, presumably you use one anyway in light of your situation.

Thanks

There is a double taxation agreement between the UK and Australia. You will need to submit a tax return in both countries. You will pay tax in the UK on UK income, but you will then have to declare that income AND the tax paid on your Australian tax return. You're going to need a new accountant - one that works with expats and knows both Australian and British tax rules. People have got into all kinds of trouble working with a UK accountant who doesn't understand Australian tax and vice versa - you really need someone who has an understanding of both to make the best decisions.

There is a double taxation agreement between the UK and Australia. You will need to submit a tax return in both countries. You will pay tax in the UK on UK income, but you will then have to declare that income AND the tax paid on your Australian tax return. You're going to need a new accountant - one that works with expats and knows both Australian and British tax rules. People have got into all kinds of trouble working with a UK accountant who doesn't understand Australian tax and vice versa - you really need someone who has an understanding of both to make the best decisions.

Does anybody have accountant recommendations?

Does anybody have accountant recommendations?

This is not a recommendation because I haven't used these people myself, but it is an accounting firm that practices in both countries:

Jo Lamberth

websters

Australian office:

ARBN 150 262 178

Registered office and postal address:

Level 20, Tower A, The Zenith

821 Pacific Highway

Chatswood

NSW 2067

Direct Telephone Line: 02 8448 8117

Mobile: 0479 044 255

UK office:

10 Wellington Street

Cambridge

CB1 1HW

Tel: 01223 507080

Fax: 01223 566187

It is not as straight forward as your pay tax in UK and claim credit in Australia. The double taxation agreement is a lengthy document that goes through each different type of income in turn and specifies the treatment. For example employment income would be taxed whre the person resides and not at all in the other country, but rental income is initially taxed where the property is and then could be further tax in the other country, which may or may not be covered by a tax credit. Different rules again for pension or investment income.

... and why do you not simply wind up the UK limited companies via a MVL (Members Voluntary Liquidation), make use of CGT Entrepreneur's Relief in the UK, and start a new company in Australia?

Using this approach you would probably be best advised to ensure the distributions following the MVLs take place before you become a tax resident of Australia.

Depending on your visa status in Australia ...

Best regards.

My understanding is that SMATS assists with the acquisition of property in Australia and tax compliance and planning associated with the same.

They might therefore not be the best placed firm to assist with the OP's questions.

Best regards.

Yes, this is what their website says.

But they will still know more than your average Australian accountant, and they have an office in the UK.