Melbourne Suburbs

MarkShinn

Good morning.. Me and my girlfriend are currently going through the stages of having my skills assessed for 189 visa and havent started the EOI.

We are looking are going to Melbourne, as i do currently have an uncle that lives there.

I'm hoping for some help in regards to which suburbs are best, i.e. low crime, value for money regarding rent, close-ish to the beach, easy reach of the CBD...

We have no children (yet) so our plans our simply based around ourselves and a two bed property.

Can anybody share some light for me?

You are looking for utopia. The CBD is not on the beach - hence living near the beach is a trade off against easy access to the CBD. Low crime and value for money also tend to be a trade off - and proximity to the CBD is going to work against the value for money too. Plus, there are all sorts of other factors such as proximity to a station, availability of good cafes and restaurants, access to regional Victoria, access to good shopping centres, availability of parking, peak hour traffic jams. There are just too many variables and if there were a perfect suburb, everyone would want to live there and the prices would sky rocket.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Obviously I would like to state im not looking for utopia but I am looking for people opinions on suburbs in Melbourne, good place to bring up family etc.

If someone could advise on which suburbs are most & least expensive, suburbs with high crime rate. It would be greatly appreciated. I apologise for not asking correctly first time round.

Mornington, Mt Eliza, Frankston South, Mt Martha are nice areas where many Brits settle.

They are nice suburbs, but all are at least an hour by public transport from the city. Naturally this is very subjective depending on what you want, but if its just the two of you for now, I would like at somewhere like St. Kilda, Elwood, Williamstown. All close to the city. Of those probably St. kilda is the most risky for crime, but it's not that bad. We like whe we live (Mt Waverley), but it's more family oriented and further from the beach. Much will depend on your budget. You can probably gets two bedroom apartment in St. Kilda for about $400-450 per week. If you wants nicer but still close to the beach look at Brighton or Hampton. Will cost you more though.

But they are a very long way from the CBD so probably not suitable for the OP.

Mark, are you buying or renting ?

I think it would be best to have an idea of your budget if renting and then we could probably suggest some suburbs.

Heya, initially we shall be renting. Looking at around $500 pw. We shall have to save a bit more before buying. Thanks for your help.

They are nice suburbs, but all are at least an hour by public transport from the city. Naturally this is very subjective depending on what you want, but if its just the two of you for now, I would like at somewhere like St. Kilda, Elwood, Williamstown. All close to the city. Of those probably St. kilda is the most risky for crime, but it's not that bad. We like whe we live (Mt Waverley), but it's more family oriented and further from the beach. Much will depend on your budget. You can probably gets two bedroom apartment in St. Kilda for about $400-450 per week. If you wants nicer but still close to the beach look at Brighton or Hampton. Will cost you more though.

Thank you for the reply. I/we dont mind a bit of travelling. Silly question maybe, but is public transport quicker to travel into city than driving? Especially in the likes of rush hour? Thank you i shall do a bit of research on the areas you stated and get a good idea of whats about.

Silly question maybe, but is public transport quicker to travel into city than driving?

Yes in the rush hour - probably not off peak. But parking is very expensive in Melbourne and all-day parking may not be conveniently located to where you want to be. Public transport is very cheap and generally very reliable - albeit not that fast.

Be careful because some of the outer suburbs are very boring !

Boring is as boring does.

Thank you for the reply. I/we dont mind a bit of travelling. Silly question maybe, but is public transport quicker to travel into city than driving? Especially in the likes of rush hour? Thank you i shall do a bit of research on the areas you stated and get a good idea of whats about.

Public transport on the whole is pretty good. Driving does get very busy during rush hour, and the main issue with driving into the CBD during the week is parking. Even "early bird" parking spots cost upwards of $14 per day. It's fine if you have parking provided, but otherwise not worth it. A monthly ticket on trains/trains will cost you around $8 per day.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mark

I think first of all it is all relative; where you come from will sort of highlight the differences living here in Australia to that; you mention crime, but, to be honest in comparison to the UK... its like chalk and cheese. I have only been here 3 years this month and originally hail from Burnley in the north and this is like paradise in some comparisons; generally you look at the standard of living out here and think its a lot easier, but, you will pay for it dependent upon your circumstances.

I see that you are talking about a family so the big costs that I see, alcohol wont bother you too much possibly although housing is quite expensive.

When you look at areas.. yes I agree that Bayside has benefits, especially if you have a family.. Parkdale is on the direct Frankston line to the CBD and will take about 45 mins although the frequency is good... normally around every 10 mins; that's where I currently reside although I have experienced Melton, Fitzroy, Carlton and Ashwood too.Y

You could also look at the other side of the city; at Williamstown and Point Cook but the infrastructure over there is less developed; there are a hell of a lot of opportunities... may I ask what you do?

I notice that you are planning to rent when you come over, I think that is a good idea as then you will at least be able to sample some areas that you consider buying in before you actually do. Interest rates here for mortgages are substantially higher than the UK presently, but, are falling; one of the best I have able to source recently is 3.99% fixed for 3 years

I hope this is of some use, but , should I be able to assist more then please do not hesitate to contact me on here or directly

Best regards

Antony

• 1 month later...

If you will be working CBD then you want to live in Zone 1 - that way you should be able to get a train/tram into the city inside 30 minutes. I have mostly lived out west (Kensington, Newport & Altona). Kensington is 6 mins on the train from the city, nice village feel, good cycle links to the city, few bars and restaurants but being 6 mins to the city means that doesn't really matter. We used to pay $410pw for a nice 2 bed apartment next to the park, couple of mins walk to South Kensington train station and 5 mins walk to all the shops and cafes. Newport is very family friendly (moved because we had our first baby), 12 parks, less than 10 mins drive to the beach at Williamstown or Altona, 20 mins on the train to the CBD (Newport is a hub station so trains every 5 mins in peak) and you can drive to St Kilda in 20 mins over the Westgate Bridge. There are some great cafes and a couple of bars but you're only one stop from Williamstown, or Yarraville or Seddon which all have plenty of restaurants and bars. We rent a new-ish 3 bed townhouse, again next to a park, 2 mins walk to the train station for $485pw. We have now just bought a brand new 3 bed house in Altona (second Bub on the way), 2 mins walk from train station, shops & cafes and 7 mins walk to the beach :-) 30 mins into the city by car or train and living on the train line means we can easily go to Yarraville, Seddon, Footscray for restaurants or drive 5/10 mins to Williamstown. The west isn't perceived as desirable as the east but you definitely get more value for money and I have several friends who have lived out east, moved west and never regretted it.

We recently moved to Melbourne, a year ago. The culture here is great although everyone is obsessed about the east of the city. If you want beach, good value, close to the city and great transport with a great community feel, Altona is the answer. If you have more money to spend the Williamstown. Frankston is miles away from Melbourne

Am happy to give you any additional info you need.

• 2 weeks later...

MarkShinn I'm interested in what pointers you get also, looking at this area when we arrive also, so some nice areas, be interested to find out how much a 4 bed house would be to rent in these areas also, cheers

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Obviously I would like to state im not looking for utopia but I am looking for people opinions on suburbs in Melbourne, good place to bring up family etc.

If someone could advise on which suburbs are most & least expensive, suburbs with high crime rate. It would be greatly appreciated. I apologise for not asking correctly first time round.

No need to apologise!

You are not in Melbourne yet so you cannot possibly know what is a realistic question! These were the things we were looking for and probably the things most people hope for!

I i were you.....or if we were heading out pre-kids I'd be going to St Kilda

its near the CBD. It has a beach....it's a bit crappy compared to the beaches on the Great Ocean Road...but it's decent for Melbourne.

St Kilda has a lovely feel to it....yes there's a bit of crime, a few hookers, and drugs about but it's a funky place and you don't need to indulge in those things! There's lovely parks, great restaurants and it's not too far from the CBD...

People have different opinions but I don't rate Altona at all and Point Cook is as dull as it gets and you'd be better off with a paddling pool in the garden then the beach at Point Cook!

I i were you.....or if we were heading out pre-kids I'd be going to St Kilda

its near the CBD. It has a beach....it's a bit crappy compared to the beaches on the Great Ocean Road...but it's decent for Melbourne.

St Kilda has a lovely feel to it....yes there's a bit of crime, a few hookers, and drugs about but it's a funky place and you don't need to indulge in those things! There's lovely parks, great restaurants and it's not too far from the CBD...

People have different opinions but I don't rate Altona at all and Point Cook is as dull as it gets and you'd be better off with a paddling pool in the garden then the beach at Point Cook!

Thanks for for your honesty, St Kildare rings bells with me, I am sure my Partners Uncles lives close by, and her Brother supports the local football team?