australia or new zealand to bring up young family

gemmae31

Hi*

We are after some advice we are looking to emigrate to either Australia or new Zealand to give our Little one a better quality of life

We have family out in both but really can't decide*

my partners job is pretty flexible as there is work available in both*

Looking for honest opinions pros and cons for both

Thanks

Hi*

We are after some advice we are looking to emigrate to either Australia or new Zealand to give our Little one a better quality of life

We have family out in both but really can't decide*

my partners job is pretty flexible as there is work available in both*

Looking for honest opinions pros and cons for both

Thanks

Ive lived in both countries and for me New Zealand wins for the liveable climate, size of country and the greeness along with lakes mountains lovely beaches. We lived in hamilton North Island, could go skiing under 3 hours drive and easy access to beaches.

I live in Australia and I`ve never been to New Zealand (yet :wink:) but I have friends who have been living in NZ for at least 10 years. From what I hear, NZ is very beautiful, green, people are friendly. Work wasn`t a problem ( my friends are all nurses, including the spouses lol so that`s something to be considered). They both have their own houses and are comfortable and very happy there. I`ve heard that in recent years the rents went up quite a bit and property prices increased as well and it`s not easy to get your foot in on the property ladder. I haven`t researched this myself.

And now my experience in Australia :smile:. We came here 10 months ago. After moving from Texas, the rental prices are double the amount we paid for mortgage in the US. Sydney is very expensive, rentals and buying properties as well. Doubt we could ever afford anything here. That said, there are other places than Sydney that are cheaper to live. Had no problems finding work. People are lovely and the places we have seen so far have all been gorgeous.

I guess it comes down to work opportunities after all - people do move from New Zealand to Australia for job/better pay. Not so much the other way. Both countries can offer an excellent lifestyle IMO.

When I visited NZ they never had much of a superannuation system.

Not sure if that has changed in the last 10 years.

Australia has an excellent superannuation system which can set up working Aussies for a comfortable retirement.

This would be my major concern about NZ I think.

Providing you can get visas for either, then you're spoilt for choice. I've never been to NZ, but really want to go there. The weather seems nicer, and the topography more varied and within easier travelling distance. On the other hand, it's a much longer flight to civilization than Australia, and also the NZ government have been running a programme to try and entice NZ citizens back to the country because so many are leaving. In fact around 55,000 move to Australia every year, so that might tell you something. Also, people with Australian PR or nationality have more rights in NZ than people with NZ PR or nationality have in Australia, so that might be another thing to consider for long-term plans.

Hi, I currently live in Auckland and am making the move to head to Perth in May. Auckland is quite expensive to live in and both me and my partner who have full time jobs, of which we needed qualifications for, can't afford to buy here and it's only going up and up. The problem I have about it also is that the houses aren't worth what people are paying for them and it won't change anytime soon. Moving to another city for us isn't really an option because of the work we do so maybe this isn't the case for you because other towns/cities are very different. It really does depend on where you want to go. The lifestyle here is very nice and very green and so much more outdoors stuff to do because of the weather. And I agree with the statements above I've heard a lot of NZ's go to Aus for a better life but not so much the other way around!

trademe.co.nz is a really good website looking up rentals and houses (and everything else!) all over NZ.

I think NZ is fantastic. If you can get work away from Auckland (which is very expensive) then I think you can have a great quiet life in NZ. I was there a few months ago and found housing quite reasonable in some fantastic places - Nelson, Tauranga, Dunedin etc. Of course the same could be said for Australia - regional areas like Orange, Port Macquarie etc. I think the key is being able to live away from the overpriced large cities, unless of course you're on a massive salary.

I think the key is being able to live away from the overpriced large cities, unless of course you're on a massive salary.

And that's a major benefit of Adelaide - it's a large city with affordable housing. The house we have here would cost around seven or eight times more in my hometown and yet we're an effortless 30 minute drive from the CBD.

Cheap property may always stay cheap though.

Property in the suburbs of major cities will hold its value and more potential to grow over time.

I'm lucky I'm already established but feel I have the flexibility to downsize when I retire and free up cash/equity.

Archived