Registering for Medicare in Sydney?

mungbean

Have any new arrivals registered for Medicare in Sydney recently?

I was half-way to the Medicare office on George St when I noticed on Google Maps that it has "closed permanently", and since I was already running late for something else I didn't bother going there to check.

Do we now have to go to a CentreLink office instead? My nearest one (Leichhardt) isn't open weekends. Bit of a pain.

Thanks!

I believe the Medicare Office in Town Hall is still open. Although it is by appointment only. IIRC, ring them to book appointment and download the Medicare form from the Human Services website and bring the form and required documentation to your appointment and they will enroll you in Medicare.

I'm trying to think of the Medicare office I go to in the city? In the ?Met Centre? which is connected to Wynyard Station. Not sure if they work on Saturdays in any location, but Medicare hours are about 9-5, Mon to Friday? I have used the one in Leichhardt too, in the Marion St shopping mall?

Medicare offices open Monday to Friday only, and some vary their hours slightly. I had a look through the list of various offices across Australia.

I think you can download the form to apply for your card from Dept of Human Services website.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/

we went to Parramatta office as you can walk in and get an appt (waited 2 hours) as we are a family of 4 - the Medicare office in Macquarie Park said they could give us an appointment at the end of April (I kid you not)... the left hand didn't appear to know what the right hand as doing in either office....

I ended up going into the fancy "modern" MyGov office in Martin Place.

"modern" as in - there is nowhere to queue, just helpers with iPads meeting-and-greeting people who are trying to queue in the doorway because there is nowhere to queue.

Quite a few people there with queries about ATO, Medicare, other stuff.

Anyway, I was in and out in about 20 mins, most of which was spent messing around with their computers trying to print out my visa grant letter, and when it was done I was told I would receive the Medicare card in the post in 6 weeks, but the number (which can be used to see a doctor) in a week.

The DHS website doesn't list any office in the Town Hall so presumably that's closed now.

I ended up going into the fancy "modern" MyGov office in Martin Place.

"modern" as in - there is nowhere to queue, just helpers with iPads meeting-and-greeting people who are trying to queue in the doorway because there is nowhere to queue.

Quite a few people there with queries about ATO, Medicare, other stuff.

Anyway, I was in and out in about 20 mins, most of which was spent messing around with their computers trying to print out my visa grant letter, and when it was done I was told I would receive the Medicare card in the post in 6 weeks, but the number (which can be used to see a doctor) in a week.

The DHS website doesn't list any office in the Town Hall so presumably that's closed now.

we were given our numbers there and then - didn't have to wait a week...

Got Medicare card in the post today (no sign of receiving a number separately).

So that was 7-ish working days.

Just stocked up in the bottle shop ahead of Good Dry-day. (All of them closed?!)

Long weekend ahoy - cheers!

• 1 month later...
I am going to attempt to do this tomorrow - will report back on how well / badly it goes!

Quoting myself (is it a slippery slope?!). Went into my local Centrelink/Medicare/Dept of Human Services office today. Gave my name to the iPad meet and greet person, and before I had even finished filling in my form, I was called. A bit of confusion around my visa type and the fact that I'd activated it before moving over/requested a Medicare number, but in 10 mins, I left with my number printed out on a receipt, with the promise that the card would arrive within 7-10 days.

The number is only valid for a year, but as my visa is temporary (at the moment) that's not a big surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived