Skilled migrant

Melbourne maz

Hi

could anyone please offer any advice please

my son in law is wanting to move to Oz with his wife and 2 children. He currently has his own building company and is a carpenter by trade

the question is in what order does he do things? Does he do the assessment and then the visa? Or us there anything else he should be doing. As much help as possible would really be appreciated

thanks in advance x

Well I would recommend he takes a step back and makes sure he qualifies, by reaching the required points and so on before doing anything. If he is confident that he qualifies, then yes it is skills assessment before visa application. No doubt he will need to take an IELTS test too, this needs to be done before the visa application, most people don't have enough points without it.

My hubby had to do the ielts no option ...he had to do it he had 85 points when he finished ....migration agents if u get one Leanne Stevens here in brissie I've heard is really good ...I think she wud go out of her way for u ...if u have a problem because I had a Mara registered migration agent who dint know their arse from their elbow because they didn't get my hubby's quals looking for the word degree ...my hubby is aware post 2002 it had to be a masters degree it change ...the quals he's got a lot don't understand the significant equivalence ...

he sat exams by the governing body ...and a migration agent didn't get it ....so we got it from the horses mouth ,lol.and the agent was saying not a degree yes but it's the equivalent ...anyway engineers aus sorted it no prob ...and professional exams carnt be accredited because they are not a course they r exams ...people just don't understand ,....and I will put money on if we had used Leanne she wud of found out ...but we found out ourselves and took over the visa process lol so be careful when choosing ya agent :):) :)and he sat them around about 2000 and chartered in 2001 . My hubby said he would of done a masters degree anyday of the week lol he said he wouldn't want sit them again haha

im going to OZ on a 189 skilled migrant visa ....here is the order in which i have done things.

STEP

1 contact Migration agent

2 check if my skills are on the list (SOL)

3 collect all necessary documentation for visa i.e previous bank wage slips,CV,previous employers reference,College certificates, & send to Migration agent who then sends to the Australian immigration.

4 receive conformation back from Australian immigration when documents received & they request a skills assessment via "VETASSESS"

5 attend Vetassess interview

6 wait for certificate from Vetassess (14 days)and forward on to Migration agent

7 book and attend IELTS test (not required if you have all necessary points for visa)

8 wait 14 days for results and forward to Migration agent

9 Migration agent then conducts a police check

10 migration agent then conduct a medical check

11 Migration agent then lodges a (EOI) "expression of interest" to the Australian immigration

12 wait to hear back from the Australian immigration (2-3 months) on a successful / unsuccessful application

im going to OZ on a 189 skilled migrant visa ....here is the order in which i have done things.

STEP

1 contact Migration agent

2 check if my skills are on the list (SOL)

3 collect all necessary documentation for visa i.e previous bank wage slips,CV,previous employers reference,College certificates, & send to Migration agent who then sends to the Australian immigration.

4 receive conformation back from Australian immigration when documents received & they request a skills assessment via "VETASSESS"

5 attend Vetassess interview

6 wait for certificate from Vetassess (14 days)and forward on to Migration agent

7 book and attend IELTS test (not required if you have all necessary points for visa)

8 wait 14 days for results and forward to Migration agent

9 Migration agent then conducts a police check

10 migration agent then conduct a medical check

11 Migration agent then lodges a (EOI) "expression of interest" to the Australian immigration

12 wait to hear back from the Australian immigration (2-3 months) on a successful / unsuccessful application

Some of those steps are out of order or that's simply not how it's done.

1. OK if you feel you need to use an agent

2. OK

3. The agent may need to see these documents but would definitely not send it to DIBP at this stage.

4. DIBP would not have any documents at this stage and doesn't request skills assessments. If you're applying for a 189 visa, a skills assessment is mandatory

5. This step depends on your occupation. For most occupations, far more than an interview is required

6. Skills assessments usualy take much longer than 14 days. some can take many months.

7. OK but IELTS is not the only acceptable test

8. OK, for IELTS, but other English test results may only take a couple of days

9. OK though PCCs are not necessarily needed at this stage

10. OK to some extent but medicals are not necessarily needed at this stage. The visa applicants must have medicals conducted by a panel doctor, not the migration agent. You would normally arrange your own medicals at a time to suit you.

11. OK.

Missing step - wait until you receive an invitation to apply for the visa.

Another missing step - lodge the visa application and pay the VAC. Now is when the documentation mentioned in 3 above is uploaded to DIBP if points are being claimed for work experience and/or qualificaitons.

14. OK

Some of those steps are out of order or that's simply not how it's done.

1. OK if you feel you need to use an agent

2. OK

3. The agent may need to see these documents but would definitely not send it to DIBP at this stage.

4. DIBP would not have any documents at this stage and doesn't request skills assessments. If you're applying for a 189 visa, a skills assessment is mandatory

5. This step depends on your occupation. For most occupations, far more than an interview is required

6. Skills assessments usualy take much longer than 14 days. some can take many months.

7. OK but IELTS is not the only acceptable test

8. OK, for IELTS, but other English test results may only take a couple of days

9. OK though PCCs are not necessarily needed at this stage

10. OK to some extent but medicals are not necessarily needed at this stage. The visa applicants must have medicals conducted by a panel doctor, not the migration agent. You would normally arrange your own medicals at a time to suit you.

11. OK.

Missing step - wait until you receive an invitation to apply for the visa.

Another missing step - lodge the visa application and pay the VAC. Now is when the documentation mentioned in 3 above is uploaded to DIBP if points are being claimed for work experience and/or qualificaitons.

14. OK

it might not be "simply how its done" your way but thats the way my agent has been doing it and im only waiting for my medical and police check then to lodge the EOI

it might not be "simply how its done" your way but thats the way my agent has been doing it and im only waiting for my medical and police check then to lodge the EOI

Seriously, that is a really weird order to do things in.

Immigration do not check things before telling you to do a skills assessment, that simply does not happen. I suspect you are misunderstanding something, probably it was just your agent checking a few things before skills assessment.

Your police checks and medicals are not done by your migration agent and in any case doing them so early, may cause problems for you later on because they either leave you a very short time to validate your via or even worse they expire. You certainly do not need them to lodge an EOI, you don't even need to do them when you lodge the visa.

Yes that's backwards, you should be lodging EOI first and once invited for a visa then do the medicals and police checks, since they are only valid for 12 moths and some people can wait months to be invited.

My hubby had to do the ielts no option ...he had to do it he had 85 points when he finished .

Since IELTS will at best give you 20 points, he would have had 65 points without IELTS? 65 is more than enough points to apply for a visa so IELTS would have been unnecessary.

Since IELTS will at best give you 20 points, he would have had 65 points without IELTS? 65 is more than enough points to apply for a visa so IELTS would have been unnecessary.

Hi i asked my hubby last night he had 60 points before ielts but he had to sit ielts anyway and it give him 80 in total .

25 points age 33to39

15 skilled occupation

15 points quals

5 points state nomination

20 points ielts

total 80 points .

Archived