Visa 300 - Online application - Here or There?

Brisbane2010

Dear All,

We (Oz and Vietnamese) have been struggling to put in for visa 300. We have been together from 2009 but with many separations because I had to come back to Vietnam after graduation from an Australian uni. He did try to come and live in Vietnam (around 10 times and the longest period is 5 months working as English teacher.

We are considering between these options:

1. Online vs. paper-based application.

2. Apply from Australia (my fiancé is Australian-born) vs. from Vietnam

Hope you can help shed some lights into this issue. Thank you.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers,

Hoang

As has been stated a PMV can only be applied for outside of Australia, and regardless of what DIBP prefer re paper or online, I would suggest an online application as it's very straight forward to do and a lot less hassle e.g you don't need to get things certified

Xin chao Hoang!

The 300 prospective marriage visa is really straightforward. These days there is a bit of a wait for processing, but if you are in a genuine relationship (as you are) and if there are no health or character issues then it is almost automatic. You really just need evidence that you have met and that two or more people have met you and can vouch that your relationship is genuine.

Tks All for such prompt and informative replies :laugh:

Sorry for not making it clearer before:

1. Should my fiance apply from Oz as sponsor or should I apply from VN as applicant? I will stay and wait in VN in the meantime.

2. As I know, if apply online, my fiance can just scan and attach the original documents without having them certified. Is is correct?

3. If my fiance applies (online) to sponsor me. Will he be interviewed? (Sound like a silly question, I know, but as he is quite occupied and is not very patient, I would rather carry the burden then).

Thank you for being here to help. Without you there would definately more obstacles to overcome because it is really complicated, to me. We cannot afford visa agent, unfortunately :frown:

Xin chao Hoang!

The 300 prospective marriage visa is really straightforward. These days there is a bit of a wait for processing, but if you are in a genuine relationship (as you are) and if there are no health or character issues then it is almost automatic. You really just need evidence that you have met and that two or more people have met you and can vouch that your relationship is genuine.

So nice to be greeted with 'xin chao' :wub:.

Do you know Vietnamese?

Xin chao Hoang!

We plan to head for Melbourne if Brisbane does not want to take me (no jobs I mean :confused:)

Tks All for such prompt and informative replies :laugh:

Sorry for not making it clearer before:

1. Should my fiance apply from Oz as sponsor or should I apply from VN as applicant? I will stay and wait in VN in the meantime. Which will be more convincing and convenient, do you think?

2. As I know, if apply online, my fiance can just scan and attach the original documents without having them certified. Is is correct?

3. If my fiance applies (online) to sponsor me. Will he be interviewed? (Sound like a silly question, I know, but as he is quite occupied and is not very patient, I would rather carry the burden then).

Thank you for being here to help. Without this community, there would definately more obstacles to overcome because the process is really complicated, to me. We cannot afford visa agents, unfortunately :frown:

1. You are the visa applicant and must apply for the visa from Vietnam (or anywhere outside Australia) - you lodge Form 47SP 'Application for migration to Australia by a partner' which can be done online. Your fiancé completes Form 40SP 'Sponsorship for a partner to migrate to Australia' which can be submitted online from Australia.

2. Colour scans of original documents can be uploaded without needing to be certified.

3. He probably won't be interviewed but if they DO want to interview him, he will simply have to cooperate if he wants you to get the visa.

Have you read the Partner Migration booklet? It has easy to follow information about the process and the type of relationship evidence you should submit.

http://www.immi.gov.au/forms/Documents/1127.pdf Partner Migration booklet

Thank you so much Ozmaniac.

So I will apply online from VN :laugh:

Uploading scanned documents is so great because it helps to save us from sending things back and forth between Oz and Vn (letter of wedding celebrant, his passport, marital status certificate, form 888, etc.). It takes weeks by postal service! I have just sent my certified papers to Brisbane for booking a wedding date. They told me it would not arrive in 3 weeks :wacko:

Thanks again everyone :cute:

I should be receiving my Visa at the back end of this week from what I have been told. I applied on paper in the UK as the non Australian. My partner is Australian born Vietnamese but a really bad teacher so I won't even try and type anything out for fear of embarrassing myself.

I guess I was lucky then as she was sending everything to the UK and it only took a couple of days.

I should be receiving my Visa at the back end of this week from what I have been told. I applied on paper in the UK as the non Australian. My partner is Australian born Vietnamese but a really bad teacher so I won't even try and type anything out for fear of embarrassing myself.

I guess I was lucky then as she was sending everything to the UK and it only took a couple of days.

Same thing here :D

Have yet been a 'real Vietnamese teacher' to my fiance :-P. He decided to go 'self-education' by watching Vietnamese TV and using Google Translate.

He did once wow people by saying some sentences in Hue accent. Big star for just 2 seconds :D

Dear All,

Thank you for your help. I was hit by a bike last week and have been moving around like a lame duck. Fortunately, no bone was broken.

Have just discussed with my fiance on what he needs to prepare for attaching to the application. We are quite confused because there are some differences between the checklist that Visa office emailed me (quite simple) and things shared on the internet.

Plus, can my fiance's sister-in-law, who is a physiotherapist to a hospital, sign in the forms as witness? My fiance insists on going to a notary service but he can only make it on Thursday nights, after 5pm.

Can we use "letter of no record of marriage" as "no impediment to marriage"?

Should he post all of the paper documents to Vietnam as backup solution after we finish our online application?

Could you enlighten me of all these issues? Sorry for making so many silly questions.

Thank you so much.

The Prospective Marriage visa is not supposed to be very complicated - you would subsequently have to apply for a partner visa and a further update for a permanent partner visa. Basically, if yu have a genuine relationship and don't have health or criminal issues, you'll be fine. When the visa is being processed - perhaps some months in the future - the case officer would ask for further information if anything is not quite clear. A letter of no record of marriage sounds sufficient to me; you would also need to get a celebrant to write a letter saying that he or she intended to officiate (they are used to requests for such letters) and a copy of the Notice of Intention to Marry (NOIM) that the celebrant would lodge. You would need to provide proof that you had met, and it is helpful that you both speak English and (I presume) are similarish ages.

My recollection of who can sign forms is that it varies from form to form. For my paper based application, I had statements from friends and family witnessed by teachers, doctors, nurses, etc. I had copies of documents certified by a public servant. And I had a copy of my passport notarised.

I don't think it matters as much as it might seem. The COs want to give you the visa.

I disagree with Quinkla just a little here. As you're applying through the Vietnam embassy, you need to contact them and ask them who is able to certify in Vietnam, and what sort of "no impediment to marriage" certificate you need. Each embassy has its own requirements. Most of the people here are going to be familiar with the London embassy's requirements as this is PomsInOz. :) But different embassies have different takes on things. I know in the US we could not just use any of the occupations Australia allows for certification - it had to be a notary public.

I don't think here in the U.K. I had to provide any sort of letter of no impediment, but neither of us has ever been married before I'm not sure if your situation is the same.

As for what you need to provide go off the visa checklist. I even provided a copy of the checklist with references to each document next to them.

Archived