Uk standard motorcycle helmets

shelz

Can anyone advise me if i can use a uk motorcycle helmet in australia any responce will be great

thanks in advance

Hi, apparantly note mate. They have to have an Australian standards sticker on them so does the visor. If your stopped wearing a UK one its deemed as not wearing one at all. Fines and points on licence. Also it f you were never stopped but had a crash, insurance companies may invalidate your cover.

Ive looked into this quite a lot, although helmets may be made in same countries like italy, they are tested differently for each countries standards.

As tina0101 said, Queensland adopted the ECE (European / UK) standard recently. I believe that you have to buy the helmet from overseas though.

NSW allows you to wear an ECE helmet if your head size is 62 cm or more, and you've got a doctor's certificate. There was talk that they'd adopt the ECE standard wholesale this year.

My guess is that all the States will follow in the next year or two. There's lobbying going on to push for this.

You need a special sticker on your helmet saying that it is Australian approved.

You can buy these stickers for about $15 each.

Ask around bike shows, helmet painters.

Or if you get pulled over, just take your helmet off put it chin guard up on your handle bars so the police cannot see the back.

Your £400 lid will be better quality than a $50 Aldi job, just because it has a different sticker on it, doesn't make it a worse helmet.

Will hang on to our lids. We've always used good lids, never gone cheap. OH raced 600's and has had several offs, lids have done their job! Cost us a blinking fortune as every time he did have an off, he had to buy a new one to race. Scraped lids didn't pass scrutineering......

Hopefully SA will see sense soon. Cheers:wink:

Have a quick look and see how much bike rego is over here..... You may well fall off your chair.

Nearly $800 bucks for me this year. And no, it can't be justified in any way, at all - ever. Pure robbery.

WHAT?! what on? My Ducati is $243/ year in WA which I'm happy with considering the cheaper insurance here - works out the about the same as the cost of an MOT and Tax back home I find.

$800 is disgraceful :(

Have a quick look and see how much bike rego is over here..... You may well fall off your chair.

Nearly $800 bucks for me this year. And no, it can't be justified in any way, at all - ever. Pure robbery.

The MOT or pink slip is a joke about $22 and it took the guy three minutes to do, hardly checked a thing! I asked him if I could watch him as I used to be an MOT tester in the UK and he told me he was nearly finished!

The MOT checks for many more defects and is a better tests in my opinion.

Fully comp insurance was £98 for Mrs Pob and I on a Harley, Here for just me on a Triumph it costs over $400 for the minimum cover.

You cannot make modifications to a bike as most are against the law and require engineering certificates!

that made me sick in my mouth a little. Australia is a horrible place to be a petrol head of any kind. I often think of what it would be like to go to the US, not only are cars and bike so cheap comparatively, but the cost of running them is too.. figured it'd be a case of the grass being greener though :laugh:

that made me sick in my mouth a little. Australia is a horrible place to be a petrol head of any kind. I often think of what it would be like to go to the US, not only are cars and bike so cheap comparatively, but the cost of running them is too.. figured it'd be a case of the grass being greener though :laugh:

Nah, it pretty much is mate..... Really. USD$2 a gallon at the moment. Car rego is USD$45 a year and about USD$600 a year fully comp insurance (Camero v8). No income tax (state) and earn about the same gross as here. Six pack of beers running from $4 to $8 for the really really flash stuff. 4 bed house with pool, gym etc for $250,000 (and that's pretty steep). We love it there but I just haven't cracked getting a job over there yet..... One day :-)

Well there's always Tasmania...

Many years ago my OH - who had ridden Tassie's roads since 1971 - contemplated organising bike tours of Tasmania. Eventually decided he couldn't be bothered with the responsibilities involved....but it would have been an interesting business for someone with the right temperament.

For a bit of variety he used to motorcycle in New Zealand twice a year...thought the roads were even better there. :wubclub:

We would love to get biking again :wink:but jeez, the speed limits are soo slow :eek:and the fines are sooo big......:policeman:....

Depends if you get caught or not :laugh:

Yeah it does suck that the fastest you can go is around 68mph with most places being around 40mph..the speed camera tactics do my tree in too. I miss being a stones throw away from the autobhan if I'm honest

Archived