Need to move, can't earn the money here !!!!!

Stuju

Hi All,

We are seriously thinking off jacking it all in here (central coast) NSW as it is becoming to much off a struggle to survive.

Hubby has a mate here that has a mate who is currently working on the Brisbane Tunnel and earning a fortune each month.

Can any of you guys please let me know what the construction industry is like in Queensland and the mo and the forseeable future.

Hubby is a carpenter by trade but is currently in charge of a company that deals with frameless glass - i.e. balustrading,showers,splashbacks etc etc.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Many thanks

gizmo

Dunno about Brisbane but the construction industry down here is reported to be on the up with the government having plans for the construction of a gazillion homes to make up for the shortfall. From what the private contracting tradies charge us for small jobs I am surprised they arent rocking up to work in their Mercedes trucks (maybe they are only for best!)

There is generally quite a deal of employment down here - if you fancy being in retail for example, you cant walk through the mall without falling over a "staff wanted" poster in the window.

Just a thought - you could do worse!

Guest kenpom

Hi Gizmo

Thats not good news. If it isnt too cheeky could you possibly let us know what hubby is earning.

Ken

Hi Gizmo

I was in Brisbane last June ( I know it was a year ago) but have good friends out there and he is a carpenter, he is at the moment working 7 days a week because they cannot get the work done fast enough. The are alot of refurbs and new builds happening in Brisbane CBD. Try to get hold of some Brisbane or queensland news papers for the recruitment sections,( not sure you may be able to get them onlline) and have a look at them, this is were my friend found his work. He has live in Brisbane for over 5 years now, he has moved home and just bought a quite a large boat, so something must be happening in Queensland.

Hope this helps and good luck

Amanda

Guest kdal

Hi Gizmo

I have some info on people that are looking for Carpenters in Perth and in Adelaide, if you are interested please PM me.

I think Jo (jonpaul) husband is working on the Tunnel he is a Plasterer by trade, you could drop Jo a PM for details on Tunnel job.

Good luck

Guest bohlesover

Hey Gizmo, work up here in Qld, is in full flow for tradies, see if you can google The Cairns Post newspaper and look at the jobs section, for tradies, my hubby (plasterer) says the building work is booming here and as always cannot get trades.

Karen

Guest Working to fish

Hi Gizmo

You're right, there's a fortune to be earnt on the Brisbane Tunnel. they do have some carpenters there. The shifts are not great though. It would be well worth pming Jo and Paul as Jo can tell you more. I feel it not my place to talk about Paul without his sayso.

As for carpentry work, you know i'm a carpenter/joiner on sunshine coast and there certainly doesn't seem to be a shortage of work here or Brisbane. Don't know what your other half is used to earning but i don't mind telling you what i'm earning. I work on a casual basis for $26/hour + super. This equates to around $30/hour. As most of my work is local i don't pay out much on petrol. I know i can earn more self-employed, around $32-35/hour but on top of this i would have to pay out for insurances and pay my own super.

The wages here compared to England are crap.

hope this helps a bit ,pm me if you want to know more.

eddie,tina:wideeyed:

Guest traybears

hi gizmo,we're very interested in this thread as we are planning to go to central coast.is that the same situation for all trades?my o/h is a painter.thanks for any help,tracy.xx.

Hi All,

Thanks very much to all of you that have replied on this thread and also a big thankyou to those of you that also sent pm's directly too me.

We so far have lots to think about and a couple of resumes to get distributed.

Cheers

gizmo

hi gizmo,we're very interested in this thread as we are planning to go to central coast.is that the same situation for all trades?my o/h is a painter.thanks for any help,tracy.xx.

Traybears,

My hubby has been over here on the coast for quite a lot of years and has alot of contacts for work himself here - the problem seems to be that the work is slowing down and the money is not as good as it used to be as there is so much competiion with too many people after the same jobs.

Hubby left oz for 4 years and then came back with me - in that time he cant believe how much things have gone up in price & how things have changed so much here on the coast.Hubby is now at the conclusion that its not what you know but who you know !!! so we are lucky that he has mates etc in construction or he could be struggling too for work.

Its also the same for us gals in retail,admin,nursing etc - i have an aussie born & bred friend and its taken her almost 2 years to secure a full time pernament job here on the coast - so many business closing and such a boom of influx of people is making things very hard for all. Also a few of my english friends are having a hell of a time getting work along with myself.(never had such a hard time off it in the uk) I can honestly say if i knew then what i know now - i woudnt have come to the central coast

thats why we are considering options in other places.

gizmo

Guest TheBrowningFamily

Things not much better on the Sunshine coast, wages are crap, very hard to find any sort of part time work for me! Hubby still waiting for his bloody licence to be able to get a better job!! Arses let us in as electrician, now telling him he is not one!!

Guest traybears

HI GIZMO,NOT THE GREAT NEWS I WAS HOPEING FOR BUT WOULD MUCH RATHER KNOW BEFORE WE GO TO CENTRAL COAST.WHAT IF YOU (OR WE) WERE TO TRAVEL INTO SYDNEY.MAYBE WE'LL LOOK INTO OTHER AREA'S AS WELL.WOULD YOU SAY ITS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME MOST PLACES?THIS IS REALLY QUITE WORRYING,I THOUGHT OZ NEEDED TRADESMEN.HOPEFULLY IT'S NOT EVERYWHERE!!THANKS FOR YOUR HELP,TRACY.XX.

Guest melissa

Hello everyone

We are moving to Adelaide in september hopefully.

But when i read about the crap wages it does worry me a bit. I'm a sparks and know that i have to get my grade A licence.

Is it that difficult to work self employed over there?

To be honest my wages here aren't bad' even though they have barely gone up in the last 4 years. I like to think i'm not going to Aus to chase money, but you have to pay the bills.

Can anyone out there give me a rough weekly outlay versus a weekly pay paypacket? Or am i getting a bit panicky for nothing.

Thanks

Darren

HI GIZMO,NOT THE GREAT NEWS I WAS HOPEING FOR BUT WOULD MUCH RATHER KNOW BEFORE WE GO TO CENTRAL COAST.WHAT IF YOU (OR WE) WERE TO TRAVEL INTO SYDNEY.MAYBE WE'LL LOOK INTO OTHER AREA'S AS WELL.WOULD YOU SAY ITS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME MOST PLACES?THIS IS REALLY QUITE WORRYING,I THOUGHT OZ NEEDED TRADESMEN.HOPEFULLY IT'S NOT EVERYWHERE!!THANKS FOR YOUR HELP,TRACY.XX.

Hi Tracy,

I have had a bit of a poke around of the work sites and looked into the newspapers and spoke to hubby (as he in construction trade) there has been a few adds for painters in The Telegraph just of late and most state that own transport, licence,insurance and abn is required (so im guessing that they are self employed jobs) all these ads in the telegraph have been for Sydney locations. As it happens there is one ad in our local paper today for a sub contractor painter for Eagle Homes which says for contract work on central coast & Newcastle area. (newcastle is a simliar distance from the coast as to sydney) none of these ads have any indication as to wage.Please don't expect to come here and land a job on your doorstep - it dose not happen like that, its is hard here,very hard.

My hubby has been travelling backwards & forwards to Sydney for many years for work and it can become very tedious, depending on where in Sydney the work is as to how long it would take to travel if its the north shore thats not too bad approx 1hr to 1hr 30mins early in the morning but if its further afield in sydney could take 2hrs or more.(hubby has often taken 2hrs or more to get to a job) Unfortuanetly its not like being in the uk where everything is on our doorstep - Australia is a vast place. Nowadays hubby perfers to work on the coast (says he getting old) and sometimes the freeway gets closed which is a pain espec in the summer when the fire risk is high, theres only one road to Sydney from the central coast and that is it.

If i can help in any other way let me know, i dont mind.

all the best

gizmo

Guest traybears

HI GIZMO,THANKS FOR THAT.I THOUGHT HE WOULD LAND A JOB STRAIGHT AWAY AS THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WE APPLIED FOR A VISA IN THE FIRST PLACE!IN THE UK WE ARE TOLD THAT OZ IS DEPERATE FOR TRADESMEN,SO WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP THAT MUST BE.IS THIS JUST CENTRAL COAST AREA? I HOPE SO WISE WE'VE JUST WASTED ABOUT £5K.THANKS AGAIN,TRACY.

HI GIZMO,THANKS FOR THAT.I THOUGHT HE WOULD LAND A JOB STRAIGHT AWAY AS THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS WE APPLIED FOR A VISA IN THE FIRST PLACE!IN THE UK WE ARE TOLD THAT OZ IS DEPERATE FOR TRADESMEN,SO WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP THAT MUST BE.IS THIS JUST CENTRAL COAST AREA? I HOPE SO WISE WE'VE JUST WASTED ABOUT £5K.THANKS AGAIN,TRACY.

Tracy,Yes many people say what you have said Oz is desperate for trades and when peeps get here there is not always the work about.

Just becuase immigration grant peeps a visa does not gurantee work (its says exactly that on my immi papers) & gee have i found out the hard way !!! we have some friends (im not talking graham&nic) some other on a friends who also live in Green Point and he has come over skilled visa and is struggling to get work here due to him having to complete extra licences etc. I am not saying that your hubby wont get work on the coast as much as im not saying he will,it is alot of who you know and not what you know, but dont be suprized if it does take a while to get work close to home for him and for yourself. Travelling to Sydney maybe option for your hubby, Stu has been asking in sydney today on the sites he has been on & the response is the work is minimal at the mo.Stu has also been asking about the wage and has heard today that $25 approx on books and $35 - $40 self employed.

I dont really know what else to say to you except consider your options and good luck

gizmo

Guest sandy25

Hi gizmo,

Oh dear, that's worrying! Are there any other reasons why you're thinking about leaving the central coast or is it purely due to the work situation. See you, luv Wendy:smile:

Hi gizmo,

Oh dear, that's worrying! Are there any other reasons why you're thinking about leaving the central coast or is it purely due to the work situation. See you, luv Wendy:smile:

Hi Wendy,

We are not sure what to do to be honest, need to get ourselves back on our feet and see what happens, to be honest theres been quite a few posts on here recently with peeps looking for work.

We are still waiting to hear on a couple of things re gold coast area and may head that way, but for the next couple of months we will be staying where we are.

The central coast is very nice (but we came here as hubby had been here for alot of years previous - as we knew he could go back to the company he used to work for which he did with no worries the welcomed him with open arms) but work is now slowing down and we feel its time to move on, Australia is a big place so no reason to stay put in one place for ever.

gizmo

Guest Mel.R

Hi Gizmo

I'm sorry to hear this from you, and I hope that things work out. I wondered if you had any idea what it is like for brickies in this region, would I be right in suspecting the slow down is throughout the whole of the construction trades?

Thanks

Mel

Hi Gizmo

I'm sorry to hear this from you, and I hope that things work out. I wondered if you had any idea what it is like for brickies in this region, would I be right in suspecting the slow down is throughout the whole of the construction trades?

Thanks

Mel

Hi Mel,

Hubby says there is many brickies on the coast here already work is slowing down so much - the work that is really busy at the mo and needs workers is aluminium window,doors & shop front fitters.

Guest Mel.R

Thanks for this. I think we will do the same as Tracey and look in other areas too. Take care.

Mx

The trouble with the central coast is there can be loads of work like there has been for the last 18months and then it drys up (like now) and peeps have to travel 2, 3 hours or so to find work in other places, then 6 months or more (who knows how long) the coast booms again with work - not sure why but hubby says its been like this for years - at the mo there seems to be a mini recession here

Archived