Retraining - Which occupation to get to Oz? Occupational Therapy?

MaisieK

Hi Everone

I posted earlier about possibly training to become an Occupational Therapist but then I've just read about the difficulties people are having with AHPRA and now I'm a bit worried! My partner will be qualified as an Aeronautical Maintenance Engineer soon so we should hopefully have a chance with his job alone if he can get sponsored but I don't know which path to take for myself.

I'm at a point where I want to retrain as I currently have a law degree but don't wish to become a lawyer. Can anyone recommend a secure occupation that could possibly help us get to Australia? I've considered nursing but with a little one, childcare would be a nightmare with the different shift patterns!

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Mental health nurse...wonderful job..n u can easy get 8:00-4:30 mon to fri jobs in community..or prison..or school..or on a ward co-ordinating..or ect..or private practice..or triage..or senior positions in not for profit orginisations..its not all abt shift wrk..I prefer shift wrk n finding it hard at moment to find jobs that aren't office hrs..lots of my class mates had babies while training n unis/placements are usually very good at accomodating this. Just my thoughts..its an amazing career n very useful if u want to get to aus as uk trained mh nurses are highly regarded here :)

Mental health nurse...wonderful job..n u can easy get 8:00-4:30 mon to fri jobs in community..or prison..or school..or on a ward co-ordinating..or ect..or private practice..or triage..or senior positions in not for profit orginisations..its not all abt shift wrk..I prefer shift wrk n finding it hard at moment to find jobs that aren't office hrs..lots of my class mates had babies while training n unis/placements are usually very good at accomodating this. Just my thoughts..its an amazing career n very useful if u want to get to aus as uk trained mh nurses are highly regarded here :)

Thanks Lorna, that's very helpful advice. I love the idea of being a nurse and if it means that we can get to Australia then that would be amazing! Are you a mental health nurse in Australia already? Was the course very demanding? Sorry to bombard you with questions :)

Hi Maisie, I can appreciate your dilemma but before you embark on a career change to get to Australia, think carefully about what you want you do. You will be working for the next 40 years (depressing isn't it!!) so make sure that it is something that you will give you job satisfaction rather than a course that is simply a means to get to Australia. Can you do some voluntary work in different occupations to get as feel for whether you would like it or not? If you want to be as an OT then commit to it and overcome the hurdles, but if it was me I wouldn't pick a long term career based on ease of relocation. Good luck with your journey though - I am sure that if you are keen you will get there in the end!

Hi Maisie, I can appreciate your dilemma but before you embark on a career change to get to Australia, think carefully about what you want you do. You will be working for the next 40 years (depressing isn't it!!) so make sure that it is something that you will give you job satisfaction rather than a course that is simply a means to get to Australia. Can you do some voluntary work in different occupations to get as feel for whether you would like it or not? If you want to be as an OT then commit to it and overcome the hurdles, but if it was me I wouldn't pick a long term career based on ease of relocation. Good luck with your journey though - I am sure that if you are keen you will get there in the end!

Thanks Peachy, yeah I really do want to give it a lot of thought before I go jumping into anything. My biggest concern about any career I go into is how much time I'll have to spend away from my child(ren) in the future. I don't want anything too time-consuming because I don't want to miss out on seeing them grow up but I know I'll have to make some sacrifices along the way. Luckily I really do want to go into health care so training as an OT or something similar would be ideal in terms of my interests and I could see myself enjoying it. I really do hope we can make it to Australia, it just seems so overwhelming!

I have known a number of mental health nurses - all very skilled and capable but many have burned out with the demands of the job - It is a vocation for people with the right mindset only and I don't think a job that you could take just as an 'in' to Australia. Occupational Therapy I think is a little more accessible - and physiotherapy can be quite lucrative here. But great advice from Peachy. BTW if you have a law degree, have you considered conveyancing (Australia mad for real estate and not even sure how it works here or whether in demand) but as you've no doubt worked very hard to get your degree finding something that builds upon it may be your best bet....

I have known a number of mental health nurses - all very skilled and capable but many have burned out with the demands of the job - It is a vocation for people with the right mindset only and I don't think a job that you could take just as an 'in' to Australia. Occupational Therapy I think is a little more accessible - and physiotherapy can be quite lucrative here. But great advice from Peachy. BTW if you have a law degree, have you considered conveyancing (Australia mad for real estate and not even sure how it works here or whether in demand) but as you've no doubt worked very hard to get your degree finding something that builds upon it may be your best bet....

Thanks Chortlepuss, it's really that demanding? Do you mean in terms of what the job entails or the amount of work etc.? I know I've made it seem like I just want a job that can get us to Australia - it's true that I want a job I could do over there but more importantly I want something that will enable me enjoy my family life with my daughter and partner. I did work very hard for my degree but an office job just fills me dread to be honest, I had no idea what I wanted to do back when I'd just left college and really wish I'd thought it through more.

Chose a career that you want regardless of Australia. There is no guarantee that by the time you finish training any occupation you chose will still be on the list. So, go with what will make you happy if that is working in the UK or Oz.

That at includes things such as nurses - some states already have issues with unemployed nurses and it is becoming a very popular career option for young people headed to uni here.

Be an Engineer. Good demand, decent money, universally recognized in any country without jumping through hoops and most importantly need more women in Engineering :)

A legal degree can be like an MBA, very good in combination with other qualifications and can open up interesting career options so don't throw away your lawyer status just yet.

Aeronautical engineers are in demand so you guys may be able to come over on that and decide what you want to do do then? Good luck.

Course u can make it! If its what u really want. Pick a career u think u would enjoy n would also likely be on skilled list n get to uni..will take time buf u'd do it eventually..I decided at 26 I wanted to move. .at that time I couldnt but put plans in place n moved over on permanent visa when I was 31

Course u can make it! If its what u really want. Pick a career u think u would enjoy n would also likely be on skilled list n get to uni..will take time buf u'd do it eventually..I decided at 26 I wanted to move. .at that time I couldnt but put plans in place n moved over on permanent visa when I was 31

Lorna you're giving me hope! I'm considering either MHN like you suggested or OT, these are the jobs I'd enjoy the most. I just want to make the right choice for my daughte. more than anything. Did you move over on your own or with partner/kids? Whereabouts in oz are you? Feel free not to answer, I'm just interested in how you did it :)

With mhn..if u did need a bit of extra money u can do an overtime shift or sum unsociable hrs n bump your pay up by quite a bit..u dnt hav that option in ot..I moved to sydney wth my husband but now in queensland. There was big recruitment drive in uk for nsw mh nurses so I went to that n they helped wth visa n evrythin...mh nurses are more in demand in oz than general nurses due to our uk training being so specialized n tend to pick uk trained over aus trained nurses goin for same job. But yeah pick sumthin u will enjoy. Time goes by quickly..I sometimes cant believe im here n actually achieved my goal..seemed so far off when I first started studying again. The only thing that will stop you moving here is yourself..if you want it you can do it..I did as have many others n there's nothing special abt me! Good luck :)

Im thinking about training as a OT in the next few years too. What I would say is that it does seem to be harder to get a visa with it, not because they aren't in demand but because of some of the paperwork side. Although there's one girl on here who got sponsored so it's possible. If it's a job you think you would love wether it gets you to aus or not then go for it

I love MH nursing and feel privileged to do this job. I even enjoy overtime!

However, it takes a certain type of person to do this job and you really have to want it to do it. If you are doing it for the visa alone it will be the hardest thing you have ever done. If you want a day like no other then MH nursing is for you. I pushed myself to finally go for it when I realised it would help me get a PR visa. However, I enjoy the job so much now that I would choose my career over Australia anyday.

Im still stuck between OT and nursing IF I do still want to go to college. I find MH really interesting but there's some things that put me off nursing like the burn out rate that a lot of people seem to mention and also drug calculations etc. my new job has service users with challenging behavior at times and medication etc so I think I'll see how I get on. There seems to be so many more opportunities for nursing and better pay but all the OT's I've chatted to love their job

I hear alot abt burn out too but havent seen too much of it..usually ppl burn out if they stay in one position too long n dont change roles as their lifes change through the years or their attitudes change..can happen in any job..mh is soooo varied that u can do lots of different things that suit u..u can have a relatively dull office type job or u can have a really challenging diverse role. .or concentrate more on deliverin therapy..or improving standards or b in frontline in so many different settings..I dnt think it ever gets boring or too stressful if u look after yourself n make most of it..n drug calculations are easy..n Iim terrible at maths!

I love MH nursing and feel privileged to do this job. I even enjoy overtime!

However, it takes a certain type of person to do this job and you really have to want it to do it. If you are doing it for the visa alone it will be the hardest thing you have ever done. If you want a day like no other then MH nursing is for you. I pushed myself to finally go for it when I realised it would help me get a PR visa. However, I enjoy the job so much now that I would choose my career over Australia anyday.

Hi, I think I just replied to one of your posts :)

I really think I would be suited to the job. I have a lot of personal experience with mental health (family members) and helping people is something that I'm passionate about. I was accepted for an adult nursing degree last year but I found out I was pregnant. I'm going to do a lot of research and maybe do an access course until my little girl gets a bit older or maybe do something else to help towards my application.

Can I ask what kind of hours you work as a MHN? Is it ok for people like me who have young children or would I have to sacrifice a lot of family time? And is the course really full on? Sorry to ask lots of questions, I just want to get a good idea of what I might be going into. I would rather have a job I love for the rest of my life than just do something I'm not keen on just because it gets me to Oz. But I'm not going to lie, I fell in love with the place on my WHV and can't wait to get back!

Im thinking about training as a OT in the next few years too. What I would say is that it does seem to be harder to get a visa with it, not because they aren't in demand but because of some of the paperwork side. Although there's one girl on here who got sponsored so it's possible. If it's a job you think you would love wether it gets you to aus or not then go for it

Stacey when do you think you'll train? Do you know how soon you could apply for a visa after qualifying and how much experience you'd need? I know I keep banging on about it but I'm just wanting a course that I'm going to enjoy at the same time as not missing out on my children growing up. I might email some Uni's and ask what the a typical uni/placement week would be like.

Stacey when do you think you'll train? Do you know how soon you could apply for a visa after qualifying and how much experience you'd need? I know I keep banging on about it but I'm just wanting a course that I'm going to enjoy at the same time as not missing out on my children growing up. I might email some Uni's and ask what the a typical uni/placement week would be like.

I should have trained ages ago, if I'd started when I originally wanted to I'd be finished by now or almost. I have confidence issues and don't think I'm capable of the the academic side. If I do then it'll probably be in the next two years. I'm planning on going to aus for a year and then I'll have to do a access course. Just going to see how this year goes with work etc.

I really don't know which would be best for you, all I know is that the nursing placements are longer because it's 50% but like Lorna said - they sound like they are sympathetic towards people with families. Lots of people with kids do it so I'm sure you would be fine esp if you have some support with family etc :)

I should have trained ages ago, if I'd started when I originally wanted to I'd be finished by now or almost. I have confidence issues and don't think I'm capable of the the academic side. If I do then it'll probably be in the next two years. I'm planning on going to aus for a year and then I'll have to do a access course. Just going to see how this year goes with work etc.

I really don't know which would be best for you, all I know is that the nursing placements are longer because it's 50% but like Lorna said - they sound like they are sympathetic towards people with families. Lots of people with kids do it so I'm sure you would be fine esp if you have some support with family etc :)

Me too, I wish I'd done it straight after school but I had no idea what I wanted back then. Does anyone know whether doing an access to health course before I go to uni would contribute towards finding a job or getting accepted?

Another issue we've just discovered is that my partner is only licensed to work on military aircraft which rules out working on civilian planes :( I don't see how we'll ever make it.

Better talk to Engineers Australia or an agent to get the pathway sorted for your husband. Sometimes deciding on the initial pathway can be overwhelming. @wrussell visits the forum from time to time.

Archived