Dentist applying for 189. should I use an agent?

Cazwilkins

Evening everyone,

I am a dentist looking to start my visa application ASAP. I have an interview on 2nd April with the emigration group to discuss the process in more detail.

Can I ask how many of you have applied yourselves without using an agent? I am applying for a subclass independent skilled migrant visa 189 with an additional applicant for a partner visa. I have documents to prove we have lived together for 12 months in the form of council tax bills and joint bank account. I am aware I need to do a medical, police checks, apply to the Australian health board and do an English language test.

the emigration group have quoted £4000 to be there for us step by step but I find this very steep!!!! And tbh is it really that complicated that we can't apply ourselves?? Any help would be very much appreciated.

I didn't use an agent. Dealt with everything myself. As long as you do your research thoroughly then there shouldn't be a problem. We did go to an expo too which was very useful so someone could check our points claim. Was probably a bit more worrying waiting for the application though - knowing that if it went wrong the wasted visa fee of £3,800 was entirely my fault!

Given that the Visa Application Charge will be £3025 and skills assessment will be around £350 if you don't need any examinations (and considerably more if you do), I assume that the £4000 is only for the fee charged by the agent and doesn't cover any of the other costs - if so, that is very steep.

Given that the Visa Application Charge will be £3025 and skills assessment will be around £350 if you don't need any examinations (and considerably more if you do), I assume that the £4000 is only for the fee charged by the agent and doesn't cover any of the other costs - if so, that is very steep.

Applicable as at December 2014

DENTIST

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 510] Item

[/TD]

[TD=width: 65] Fee

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 80%] Application for Initial Assessment of Professional Qualification in General Dentistry

[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%] $610

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 80%] Written Examination

[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%] $1,500

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 80%] Practical Examination

[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%] $6,615

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 80%] Supplementary Examination

[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%] $2,185

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 80%] Verification of Written Examination Results

[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%] $120

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 80%] Verification of Practical Examination Results

[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%] $120

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 80%] Review Against Procedures of Practical Examination Results

[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%] $950

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 80%] Independent Appeal Committee – Written Examination

[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%] $5,000

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 80%] Independent Appeal Committee – Practical Examination

[/TD]

[TD=width: 20%] $5,000

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I think its always better you use an agent coz i know a person who applied his 187 himself and he still haven't got his visa after 5 months. Every other person who applied within the same time frame got there visa before him and he is still waiting. Dont know what went wrong buy its always good to have some professional help. What you can do get all your documentation ready and get them double checked from an agent with just little bit of money. Hope it helps!

Wrussel. Is this something new then? Sitting dental examinations?

If so then I am angry at myself for leaving it so long to apply.

I have friends over there working as Dentist's that did not need to sit exams.

As for the agent fees, we will see what they say on 2nd. But they charge anything between £1195 and £4995.

Ahhhh I have just looked. I am okay :-) UK graduate. But will still have to pay $610 for the initial assessment.

We are going to print off all relevant information that we can find to help us and sort through it today. Wish us luck :-D

If you decide to use that agent, what exactly does that £4000 include? Ask them and don't accept anything other than a very detailed, itemised answer or you could be in for some unpleasant surprises. Better still, don't use an agent at all if your application will be straightforward. If you're well organised, are married or have evidence covering at least 12 months of a marriage-like de facto relationship and have a full understanding of how points are allocated on the points test, you should be able to manage without an agent. Ask on PIO if you're not absolutely positive about anything.

Thank you.

So far I know that you need 60 points

My age gets me 30 as I am under 31.

My qualification gets me 15

From August I will have 3 years work experience but I doubt I will wait until then to lodge my visa and it will only get me 5 points anyway

I need to sit an IELTS test to get a maximum of 20 points.

This is my understanding so far.

I have printed application forms for the dental council initial assessment and also an application form to join the dental register. I won't be starting anything until I have met with the agency on 2nd April though and will certainly be asking what £4000 will be going towards!

I did my skilled regional and later my skilled independent myself. My visa app was fairly complex and involved a huge amount of extra preparation. I initially hired an agent and it became expensive quite quickly so I continued on my own. If you do your research and are prepared to fastidiously scrutinise all your paper work , you should be able to manage.

Millie

Wrussel. Is this something new then? Sitting dental examinations?

If so then I am angry at myself for leaving it so long to apply.

I have friends over there working as Dentist's that did not need to sit exams.

As for the agent fees, we will see what they say on 2nd. But they charge anything between £1195 and £4995.

Whether examinations have to be taken depends on where the relevant dental qualification was conferred.

Ahhhh I have just looked. I am okay :-) UK graduate. But will still have to pay $610 for the initial assessment.

We are going to print off all relevant information that we can find to help us and sort through it today. Wish us luck :-D

Your lucky I'm uk trained dental hygienist/therapist & registered with GDC & I've been informed that I'll have to sit a written exam & then if im successful at that I'll be allowed to sit a 5 day practical assessment! Ive not worked in 18mths! Need to start revising but feel dissallusioned at the thoughts of doing it all again. Think I might retrain as a plumber or carpenter lol!! Good luck & yes definitely get an agent it'll save you in the long runFixed quote

Your lucky I'm uk trained dental hygienist/therapist & registered with GDC & I've been informed that I'll have to sit a written exam & then if im successful at that I'll be allowed to sit a 5 day practical assessment! Ive not worked in 18mths! Need to start revising but feel dissallusioned at the thoughts of doing it all again. Think I might retrain as a plumber or carpenter lol!! Good luck & yes definitely get an agent it'll save you in the long runFixed quote

Good luck :-D I am sure you will absolutely ACE it.

• 2 months later...

Hi Cazwilkins, I'm not sure how far you in with the application. My wife is a dentist and we went through the process last year. Make sure you do a skill assessment. Our agent (we used just for one session) told us we didn't need to apply for the skill assessment. In the end we ended up paying twice.

Hey, thanks donaldo I sent off the paper work for skills assessment 4 weeks ago and had an email from the Australian dental council 2 weeks ago to say it will take up to 8 weeks before we hear anything. Fingers crossed they don't need additional information. Hopefully we can express our interest in the next 5 weeks. It's a shame it takes us into July. I have heard dentists may be taken off the skills list this time around :-( would just be my luck. I've passed my IELTS so it is just a case of waiting now.

Archived