Permanent Residency Visa is due to expire .......

janieco

Hi All, is there anyone out there that has been in my position ?

After living in Oz for 37 years I returned to the U.K. I couldn't wait to come home and life has been fantastic here in the U.K. for me. My 2 children

now aged 11 and 22 have also been living here with me and are both thriving. I never took citizenship when in Oz. I left with only my Permanent

Residency status. If I don't return by June 3rd it will expire. It has never worried me ...... until now !! I don't know why but suddenly I am plagued

with doubt. I have been hit with the fear that my kids might return and I am not going to be able to live in Oz again. I have suddenly realised that

I am more Australian than I thought ! I NEVER thought I would feel this way and I cant really explain why I am suddenly longing for the smell of

Eucalyptus trees, gum trees, Cath & Kim, channel 9 news, twisties, grilled flake, dim sims, wide open space, Magpies swooping and their unique

warble, big wide houses and streets etc. I am missing the people I grew up with, worked with and have known for so long. I know I can return for

holidays, so why I am I waking up in the night panicking ?? Is it just the permanence of it all ?? Or some thing else .....? :shocked::confused:

Many, many people, including quite a few active PIO members have been in a similar position. Your misgivings are probably because you feel that a door is closing permanently but that isn't necessarily the case. Perhaps there's a way of keeping your options open, at least for a while.

I assume you mean that your Resident Return visa will expire on June 3rd - when did you return to the UK?

Do you think you might actually want to return to Oz? How about your (presumably) Australian citizen children?

Drawing a line under something is never comfortable - it's so much easier when you have the freedom to come and go at will. You could apply for a RRV which would prolong your agony but would give you time to see if you are happy where you are for the very long term. If your life is fantastic where you are and your kids are doing well you're on a winner!

I truly don't understand why people don't go for citizenship. I know you have to vote, but citizenship means the door to Oz is always open if you want it. I've seen so many people here and on other forums who kids decided to move to Aus and they never got citizenship and suddenly they're ponying up $100k for CPVs to get themselves back into the country. Citizenship is so easy/inexpensive if you meet the residency requirement. Well worth it for peace of mind, IMO.

Of course, I realize that's kind of a moot point for OP now. :(

Thanks for all your thoughts. My British passport has a sticker that states the following ......... Must arrive in Australia within three years from date of last departure. Multiple

travel. Holder permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely.

Its a Resident Return Sub Class 111

I have been out of Australia for 3 years on 3rd June, this year. I will look in to extending this however I really don't hold much hope. I will contact the Australian Embassy

here in the U.K. to see if it can be extended. This visa was originally granted when I was 10 years old in 1974. Will keep you posted :) Again many thanks for responding.

Cheers Jane xx

Archived