Would you kill a snake??

fifi69

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See lots of brown snakes around our home, had a few close moments. By accident my mate cornered one really good sized specimen in the back of the garage, the snake was not very happy and raised up to defend himself........there was really no need as he was already burning rubber in the opposite direction, screaming like a big girls blouse :laugh:

Never had a fear of snakes and would never kill one unless I really had too...........besides their great at keeping the cat population down:cute:

If it was between a snake and any of my family or dog and a slight chance of them being hurt I'd do what I had to do

Obviously try and get away and let it leave

If I chose to let it be and my family got hurt I'd not be able to live with that

I love animals and wouldn't agree to a snake hunt

Family has got to come first

Snakes are protected under the Nature Conservation Act 1992 so it is illegal to kill them.

Would I kill one, unless it was coiled around my child or a pet then no. We have Pythons in our garden up to 15ft long even when they have got one of the chickens, we just take them back out and release further up in the rainforest, yes they always come back but they are beautiful creatures. Now if we had another red bellied black that we had in the waterfall in the side garden and it was in the house then I would call the snake removal guy in, same for any venomous snake but I'd never kill one.

Any chance of a snap Pommy Queen next time it comes to visit you ? I'd love to see it :)

I work in the ED, been there for 7 months, haven`t had a case of snake bite yet ( central Sydney). We keep the antivenom of course. I`ve recently attended a lecture related to ED cases and decided that if a snake bit my child, I would try to kill it and bring it in for identification. The antivenom has/could have some quite serious side effects and for adults, we actually wouldn`t give it at first, unless the person was very, very sick.

If you work in the ED you should know there is absolutely no need to kill a snake for identification purposes.

It is not recommended to go chasing after a snake that has bitten you or someone else.

The hospital can treat it regardless. They have venom identification kits.

Chances are you would just get bitten yourself unnecessarily.

If you work in the ED you should know there is absolutely no need to kill a snake for identification purposes.

It is not recommended to go chasing after a snake that has bitten you or someone else.

I totally agree.

Dont go trying to kill it just for identification purposes, you have more chance of getting struck yourself.

If its a danger to anyone though, OFF WITH ITS HEAD!!!

Venom ID kits are not reliable, work about 5-10 % of the time ( source being an MD who worked in the ED for 30 years).

I totally agree.

Dont go trying to kill it just for identification purposes, you have more chance of getting struck yourself.

If its a danger to anyone though, OFF WITH ITS HEAD!!!

I am aware that most people get bitten when trying to catch a snake, kill a snake, step on it.... but if it ALREADY bit my child, I would do anything I can to get that snake identified . I am no snake expert and apparently the same snake looks different whether male/female, juvenile or adult. I wouldn`t go chasing after a snake that`s just slithering around, minding his own business :wink: lol

If you're very keen on IDing it then just take a photo with your camera. The most common snakes are different enough from each other that most people would be able to ID it off a photo or video. Certainly a better than 10% chance of getting it right.

I would not fck about with an adult brown or taipan. If you don't know what you're doing you will not be able to kill one without significant risk to yourself and anyone else nearby.

Archived