Newbie!! Taking first steps towards new life in Oz!!!

Guest maladicta

Guest maladicta

Hello all!! I've just found this wonderful site, after a week of searching the internet trying to find something like it!! Yaaay!

Me and my husband have been thinking about emigrating to Oz for YEARS and we've finally decided to do it, as we're not getting any younger! (We're both 32)

I'm just about to send off my skills assessment to the Australian Institute of Chartered Accountants, they've said it should only take 1 - 2 weeks to process!!! Then we start on the visa aplication!!!!

I'd really love to know 2 things at this moment:

Should we use a migration agent? Is it worth it? I'm going on a skilled visa (a 136? I think) and hubby's going on a spouse visa... would it be something we could handle ourselves? Really can't decide, and obviously we're trying to keep costs down!!

And, most importantly - how on earth do we decide where to go? We have an uncle living in Melbourne and first obvious thought was to stay with him, I guess it'd be easier. But I'm not sure how much I like the sound of Melbourne... Adelaide sounds nicer, and cheaper, and warmer!!!

Thanks for listening. This is a fab board!!

PS When should we put the house up for sale... not yet presumably??

Thanks xxx

...how on earth do we decide where to go?

For a chartered accountant it might come down to what you want to do... Big finance houses (DeLoitte, KPMG) and the like are in the major centres, but every reasonable sized town needs accountants for small business.

It is all a case of personal preference, I'm afraid... but there is no reason not to pick someplace, rent a house for a year while you explore..and settle down when you decide what and where you like best. 8)

Guest maladicta

Oooh thanks guys!!!

Fraser, I'm only used to small-town living - I think I might find Melbourne a bit overwhelming! I definitely won't be looking for big-firm work. Hubby's uncle lives in Frankston but I don't know how big a place that is, I don't know whether I'd have to travel into Melbourne.

But yes, there's nothing to stop us moving on atfer a year is there? And it would certainly be easier to arrive in Oz with somewhere to go :)

ali - thanks for letting me know! Until now I've only concentrated on my skills assessment, I need to start looking into the visa now. I didn't realise he'd just go on mine. Thanks!

xx

Hi - we applied for 136 skilled visa in April (my husband has the skill) I just tagged along on the application! We were granted our visa on 23 August.

We didn't use a agent did it all ourselves - the hard bit is the skills assessment, once you get that over and done with the actual visa application is easy. Just a hell of alot of waiting.

Est x

Guest maladicta

Est

Thank you for that!!! I kinda thought, if we're both reasonably intelligent people, we should be able to do it ourselves? But then you read horror stories of people having visas refused (hmmm, usually on the migration agents' websites!) and it scares you into thinking you need one...

Thanks!! xx

We didn't use an agent either as our application was pretty straight forward. I'm sure people must get turned down, but to be honest I've only ever 'heard about them' and never actually spoken/read a post from someone who has been refused.

Ali

Fraser, I'm only used to small-town living -

xx

Frankston has been just about swallowed by Greater Melbourne.

If you are a "Small-town girl" think regional rather than big city... and Regional doesn't mean small dusty towns. The trouble is taht most expectant migrants only know Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth & Adelaide

It is easier to get a visa for a Regional area, but you need to commit to two years in the regions. Ther are some really nice regional towns and cities

Look here...

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10330#10330

Guest maladicta

Fraser, thanks for that link! I'm really pretty clueless about most of Australia as you can tell!!!

I'd much prefer somewhere smaller, so I think the best thing would be to move outt o Frankston first and then decide where to go from there...

Fraser, thanks for that link! I'm really pretty clueless about most of Australia as you can tell!!!

I'd much prefer somewhere smaller, so I think the best thing would be to move out to Frankston first and then decide where to go from there...

Sounds like a fair call to me.

There are lots of really nice towns around Victoria...including lovely decent-sized coastal towns like Warrnambool and Portland... and even on the other side of the Mornington Peninsula there is Hastings.

No shortage of bustling inland towns and cities too, such as Bendigo, Ballarat, Shepparton, Wangarratta, Albury/Wodonga. ....and that's just Victoria...

Play with the internet... It's full of good stuff...and ask away on any subject in here. For the most part someone will be able to help.

Guest maladicta

Grrr. Why is everything in life so frustrating!!!

I haven't even been able to send off my skills assessment yet... we're hoping to get husband's boos to certify everything as he's a magistrate. Hubby chose this week to be off work poorly :x

So, docs have been sitting there since Monday. Can't do anything with them!!! Argh. Starting to feel like this is never even gonna get off the ground...

sorry, just frustrated!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Brendan

HI M

I too am an accountant looking to submit my skills assessment in the next week or so. My problem is that I am ACCA qualified but do not have a degree. Of the 3 Aussie accounting bodies CPA were totally dismissive, ICA indifferent whereas the NIA were positive so NIA it is.

Keep me informed of your progress and I'll do likewise.

Cheers

Brendan

Brendan,

You should be OK to proceed as an ACCA qualified accountant - the ICAA (through whom I lodge skills assessment applications for accountant clients) and the other assessing bodies for accountants (I believe) considers the ACCA qualification as equivalent to an Australian degree => you can reasonably anticipate a positive skills assessment classification.

Best regards.

Guest maladicta

Hi Brendan!!

Glad you found someone to verify your qualifications. Have you sent off your assessment yet? I haven't :oops: - been waiting to find someone to certify them - in the end decided to use a local solicitor.

Let me know how you get on!! I might be sending mine off this weekend so will let you know if there's any development :)

Archived