Family face being sent back to UK after 11 years in Aus

ali

I thought they'd applied for permanent through a migration agent ( or at least were led to believe) but the agent's done a bunk with their money??

I've just read the article properly and yes, they had applied for PR through the agent that did a bunk :no: What a mess!

You do wonder why it took them so long to get around to applying for permanent residence though, if they've been able to do it now, they could have done it years ago.

Why it took him so long to apply for PR visa?

I am no expert this is just my opinion.

I suspect that this visa class requires more tick boxes than the average skilled trade’s person PR visa.

It would not surprise me that he was required to have several years of accounts earning above x amount in each and every one of those years before he could lodge an application for a PR visa.

Or some other obscure caveat.

We were talking about this at the surf club a couple of days ago and one of the guys just said "wrong colour and they didn't come on a boat". I know he said it for a joke but there are a lot of people who are coming in and getting visas who aren't going to contribute anywhere near as much as this family would have.

When all said and done though it was a temporary visa and the program it was on love the stir the pot with stupid stories. Usually only showing one side of the argument. Everyone has to follow rules.

Another example how misleading it can be to come over on a temporary visa with the intention to stay forever. Hopefully this family had good years here and don't look back in anger!

Sad story of course when you really have to think about deportation, their great contribution to this country and how many freeloaders could stay here for good (valid for every Western country with social welfare systems)

Not a question of free loaders who any particular group more deserving. Immigration has a degree of chaos around it in recent times from a report I was reading. Hence the governments late in the day efforts to tighten a few areas including foreign house investors and a few other rorts.

This particular case some compassion should be shown although the government bare in their full legal rights. This sort of thing comes up from time to time and shame when the race card or treatment od asylum seekers is somehow connected. They are definitely not treated better even if said in half jest.

A compromise of sorts could be reached if the family leaves and validates their entry with the correct formalities and allowed to return.

Archived