help - Renting a house out in the UK whilst being resident in Australia

Captain Roberto

However it should be pointed out that even if your mortgage says it's charging 4%, that doesn't mean you can just calculate 4% of your payments. Over the life of the loan, the bank varies how much of the repayment is paying interest and how much is paying the debt. In the early years, you're paying a lot of interest and hardly any principal. So you may need to ask them what the split is, to know what you can claim.

In my over simplified example, I calculated 4% interest on the principle loan (it wouldn't be as straightforward as that in reality but close enough), it certainly would not be any % of the repayments, that would be hugely under estimating it.

The interest that has been charged would be disclosed on an annual mortgage statement, whether you are repaying interest or principle doesn't really matter. The relevant fact is how much interest is being added onto the amount due, regardless of how quickly you are paying it off.

In my over simplified example, I calculated 4% interest on the principle loan (it wouldn't be as straightforward as that in reality but close enough), it certainly would not be any % of the repayments, that would be hugely under estimating it.

I knew you would be aware of that, I was just concerned that the questioner would take your example at face value.

As I mentioned in post #11, you declare the tax on the UK and Australian tax return. Tax on your rental income will clearly not have been deducted from PAYE.

Then if there is any tax paid in the UK, you also enter this as a *credit* on the Australian return, so it reduces the amount to be paid in Australia by whatever amount has already been paid in the UK.

Right ok, I think I've got you now!

cheers!