First day at school-worried mum alert!

Guest mandy1

Guest mandy1

Hi all

Well my 13 year old son has just gone off for his first day at school and I am so nervous for him. We have been here nearly 8 weeks now and he was so nervous this morning when I dropped him off. Has anyone else got any experience of their older kids first days/weeks at high school. I won't be able to relax all day until I pick him up later on.Like most parents if the kids are okay then I am too so I really want him to have a first good day.Does anyone know how the work compares to the UK and what exams do they eventually sit when they are older-this is all such a new thing for us.We have a 8 yr old who started primary just before half term and she's starting to settle in well but I think the older they are the more difficult it is.

Mandy x

Guest sheena

hi ya, my 2 kids aged 6 & 15 started 2 weeks ago now, i thought my 6 year old would be fine ( although i was a bit of a mess) and i thought the 15 year old would get a bit of stick being new, and the fact hes 6'3 etc, but he was fine, made some mates settled really well, and still is, normally on a wednesday i would have to pick him up at 2 as the other kids have a free period and go to work or play soccer etc, but this morning he told me to get him at 3 as he is staying behind with the rest of them!!! my 6 year old (bless him) has been getting a bit of bulling from some of the older ones in his school, but we have sorted all that out now!!

try not to worry to much i'm sure your kids will be fine!!

as for schooling, them are behind the english system, so both kids will be fine, they dont really do exams like gcse's etc like in england, the school should of told you this info when your son was enrolled,

hope this info helps you,

take care,

sheena x

Guest mandy1

Hi

Thanks both for the information and perspectives. Yep, its now 12.10pm and I have even had a few tears this morning & believe me I am not really a teary person (its been a bad day though cause I bumped the car whilst shopping-hubby will be chuffed!). The school did give me a lot of info but to be honest we've been in such a tizz these past few weeks that I can't remember what was said and what wasn't, I've looked at their booklet and its all in there regarding exams etc...Just keeping fingers crossed now until I pick him up!

Mandy x

Guest Megss

Hi Mandy,

How did it go???!!!

Ermintrude is probably right with how much information you'll get out of him when he gets in!!! He'll probably say "it was okay"... and you'll have bombarded him with questions to which he will have answered with as shorter sentences as possible!! Thats if he's anything like my 13 year old step son!!!

Meg

xx

Guest Pingpongpom

..Hi Mandy:smile:..i really hope it all went well for him..remember those feelings well..when my son started, on his first day the whole year had gone on a school trip and he had to spend all day in the library..my brother dropped him off for me 'cos i was too teary..he went on to love his highschool years in Perth the best of all!..he's 21 now and working and still looks back and says they were the best years..so all the best..

Tess:cute:

Guest mandy1

Hi all

Well Unfortunately it wasn't a great success! I dropped him off at the school office in the morning and apparently all they did was give him a cursory tour of the school & then gave him a map(!) & left him to find his way to classes on his own,. He wasn't introduced to any of the other kids at all or given a 'buddy'(even as an adult that would hae been aterrible way to start in a new place). He ate lunch alone (standing up cause he had no-one to sit with) and said that the classes were rowdy & some of the teachers had little control over the kids. I was so upset when I heard all this(just made me want to keep him at home) . He is off there again today and I am hoping that he will feel a little more settled but if its not improved we are going in to have a few words with the staff on Friday. I am very proud of him though 'cause he said himself that he needed to give it a few days at least to see if gets any better. On a positive note he met 3 nice kids that were helpful & friendly to him but I certainly feel that the school should have done far more to make his first day at school easier.

Mandy x

Guest cantwait
Hi all

Well Unfortunately it wasn't a great success! I dropped him off at the school office in the morning and apparently all they did was give him a cursory tour of the school & then gave him a map(!) & left him to find his way to classes on his own,. He wasn't introduced to any of the other kids at all or given a 'buddy'(even as an adult that would hae been aterrible way to start in a new place). He ate lunch alone (standing up cause he had no-one to sit with) and said that the classes were rowdy & some of the teachers had little control over the kids. I was so upset when I heard all this(just made me want to keep him at home) . He is off there again today and I am hoping that he will feel a little more settled but if its not improved we are going in to have a few words with the staff on Friday. I am very proud of him though 'cause he said himself that he needed to give it a few days at least to see if gets any better. On a positive note he met 3 nice kids that were helpful & friendly to him but I certainly feel that the school should have done far more to make his first day at school easier.

Mandy x

Hi

That's a shame. I hope things get easier for him. At least he managed to make a couple of friends, and hopefully as he orientates himself around the school, it should get better. Keep us informed how he gets on. I read your thread yesterday, and was checking for your update as I have 2 girls and it is always a worry when they are the new kids anywhere, but especially hard when you are the other side of the world. Good luck.

Guest Pingpongpom

:smile:..sorry to hear that your son did not have a good first day at school, but it's good that he found a few childen helpful..hopefully they will be just as helpful and friendly today and he will have a better day..are there any clubs at school or in your area he would be interested in or could join?..my son joined the local cricket club and a lot of children from his school also went there..so there was a link..all the best..

Tess:cute:

Which school was it Mandy - sorry to hear it didn't go too well and hope it goes better for him. Greeting newbies is so important isn't it.

Give him a hug from me ... he sounds a sensible lad

Ali

Guest mandy1

Hi all

He had a better day yesterday which was good,he met a couple more kids who were chatty so I am hoping things will improve a bit as the days go by. As a parent though you hate to think of your child unhappy & lonely. However no on said it was going to be easy but when he gets home he just shrugs the day off and is his happy normal self.He has even said he needs to give it a bit more time I'll keep you all upated.

My daughter on the other hand is aged almost 9 anmd she has taken to her school like a duck to water! She came home the yesterday & said that she had been learning Indonesian which she thought was fantastic (& I thought French was hard!)

Mandy x

Archived