BTECs and GCSEs

helija

Hello. I am planning to move to Australia with my partner (who is Australian). I want to go to HE. I have BTEC Level 3 diploma in Art and Design and Maths and English GCSEs. (I moved country's at 16, making me unable to take a-levels. Only if I knew of bridging course back then...)

I want to study Illustration or Concept Art, but in future interested working as art teacher. I know UK universities accept my qualifications as valid for BA. But as for AUS I'm unsure what courses I am able to take for the subject(s) I want to study or is there other bridging courses I need to take to be able to take a course such as BA.

Also, system is slightly confusing to me, as of in England, you can take BA and later on take PGCE to become a teacher for secondary schools/colleges. As I have heard in Australia you take a double degree or 4 year integrated course. What's the difference?

For teaching you can take your degree then a PGCE - you don't even need your honours year to do it. The double degree for secondary teachers is useful because it gives you two teaching areas.

You may find that some Unis have different entry requirements for mature age students (don't know how old you are) or sort of Foundation years for those whose qualifications don't quite fit. Only thing to do is to contact where you want to go and ask them! As you are probably going on a temporary visa in the first instance (visa makes a difference!) you are likely to be slugged mega bucks for international fees

That sounds fair enough, because personally I wanted to keep for teaching later in my career. If I stayed in UK, that was our plan. (thus knowing how to teach people actual useful skills in the industry if even if it means doing extra than curriculum has in it or at least being able to make students aware of it.) I still fall in to gap of non mature student. I think contacting universities is way to go then. I am just so used to being European and having everything easy, all this visa stuff is really confusing me at times haha

Me and my partner are actually getting married, so I am not sure if that changes anything at all. Applying for Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) for time being, as most of his family is in Australia or close by. Plans to study comes after that.

Me and my partner are actually getting married, so I am not sure if that changes anything at all. Applying for Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) for time being, as most of his family is in Australia or close by. Plans to study comes after that.

Expect to pay lots of $$ given you won't be eligible for any HECS/HELP loans - until you are a citizen!

Im just about to start a degree, my qualification was a BTEC national diploma (from 1986!), I had since done a professional qualification in 1993 who, when I recently contacted for evidential documents sent me a wonderful email reply and went to the effort of quantifying my qualification in terms of Australian qualification standards, these together with my work experience got me a place on the degree course quite easily (to my surprise and joy!). I found the whole process of applying to an Australian Uni really straight forward, they were very supportive and valued what I had to offer, a great experience! Do take heed of the cost comments though, you do have to pay up front if you're not a citizen although if you are PR you pay local rates not international.

Im just about to start a degree, my qualification was a BTEC national diploma (from 1986!), I had since done a professional qualification in 1993 who, when I recently contacted for evidential documents sent me a wonderful email reply and went to the effort of quantifying my qualification in terms of Australian qualification standards, these together with my work experience got me a place on the degree course quite easily (to my surprise and joy!). I found the whole process of applying to an Australian Uni really straight forward, they were very supportive and valued what I had to offer, a great experience! Do take heed of the cost comments though, you do have to pay up front if you're not a citizen although if you are PR you pay local rates not international.

That sounds fair enough. I am actually not going to pay for it, my in laws offered to pay for it. I feel a bit guilty about it, so I wonder if there is a cheaper option.

Yes, hopefully they are all over the costs.Once you have your permanent partner visa you will pay domestic fees but you will need to pay them upfront.

My partner looked at studying (whilst on a temporary partner visa so had to pay international fees) and 1 year of study was close to $30,000.00.

Archived