Can any nurses help me

JULIE RYCROFT

Hi I have just been offered a job in Perth as a nurse, Its a 4 year sponsor. I have been told that after 6 months I can apply for a PR and they will help me. Has anybody else done it this way and is it recommended. Has anyone had problems doing it this way. I am supposed to be going around september, ill be 42 by the time I can apply for a PR

Hi Julie. I was promised the same. The hospital went back on it. It was a verbal agreement therefore the risk was mine. Depends on how easily you could obtain PR independently as to how you feel about taking the risk. Will they sponsor for PR beforehand? Worth asking. If not I'd look into getting PR first.

Ramsey Health at Hollywood hospital in Nedland, are you there now, did you get the PR

Yes citizens now, been here 6 years, when they said they wouldn't help we applied ourselves, had to go offshore for the grant for a few days, soon as I got PR handed notice in and went to work for someone else, felt let-down but end of the day it's business

I was thinking the sponsor would get me there quicker, i have been registered with AHPRA the last 2 years and been paying that each year, im under 45 so that shold be ok, I could do the IELTS test for a further 20 points, but I thought you gain points by being there, im gettin all stressed out about this now, also sponsor is cheaper

I was thinking the sponsor would get me there quicker, i have been registered with AHPRA the last 2 years and been paying that each year, im under 45 so that shold be ok, I could do the IELTS test for a further 20 points, but I thought you gain points by being there, im gettin all stressed out about this now, also sponsor is cheaper

It's only cheaper in the short term though unless the employer will pay for PR visa application? Then you have the medicals...more money...sounds like you could get it easy enough and then you'd have more choices of employer, especially if you're not coming till Sept. How long does PR take these days?

Guest The Pom Queen

Sponsor may be cheaper but like HH says there are no guarantees and personally I wouldn't take the risk coming over on a temp visa although many do and it has paid off for them.

The application fee for both employer sponsored and skilled migration costs the same, apart from skills assessment and IELTS, the 457 may end up costing more as you may have 2 seats of medicals to pay for, medical for nurses prob around £400 with the extra blood tests required.

If you applied for PR now, there is a good chance it would be granted before Sept, but you can have 2 applications running along side one another, or apply for skilled migration PR once you are in Australia.

Sounds like you you would be paying for the application fee for employer sponsored PR, can't see any benifits of waiting, plus there is usually and increase in Visa application fees in July, with the 50% increase with the partner fees in Jan I would lodge PR sooner than later.

Also, quick question do you have children? If so consider the schooling costs and be aware of the risks of having to return to the UK if your job ends with little warning. If you want to buy a house etc there are implications depending on if you are on a temporary visa or a permanent visa.

Guest Chewitts
If you want to buy a house etc there are implications depending on if you are on a temporary visa or a permanent visa.

Not really much difference tbh, only temp residents need to apply to the foreign investments review board, you fill in a short online form and it is pretty much a formality

I just thought I would get more points if I'm already there coz u get more points by having work experience in Australia

You get 5 points for having 1 year Australian work experience, 10 for 3 years, 15 for 5 years, 20 for 8 years.

max of 20 points can be claimed for work experience.

state nomination will also give 5 points.

The other thing to consider is the reduction of other job opportunities being on a 457 - you're tied to that employer and if you see your perfect job advertised you might not be able to go for it (if they won't take over sponsorship), but you might also not get it as a lot of nursing jobs here in WA are being advertised with 'preference given to Citizens and permanent residents.

I would just apply for the PR visa now, I made the huge mistake of going out to oz 18months ago on sponsorship visa, ended up having probs with my work and basically had to come home as no employer was willing to take over sponsorship. They will always go for someone on PR visa first. Best advice I can give you is apply for PR, you've got that flexibility, plus I wish looking back now I had applied for PR as my 457 sponsorship visa took about 6months from when I first applied to grant date. Gud luck :-)

As others have said, you should apply for a permanent points tested visa if at all possible rather than taking the chance on a 457 with the promise of permanent sponsorship later but that's only possible if you have the required 60 points.

Those online tests are often pretty unreliable (though they usually over- rather than under-estimate). What is your current age? Do you have any work experience? Are you degree qualified? What is your nursing occupation code (i.e. medical, surgical or...)? Do you only want to live in Perth or would you consider other regions or states?

Archived