Wanted Beach/Cafes/CBD Transport Links in Sydney - Which Suburb?

djfuddy

Moving to Sydney and looking at suburbs to rent in.

Eastern Suburbs seem like obvious choice for a life in walking distance to the beach, with local cafes and shops, decent pubs and transport links to CBD where I will most likely end up working.

I loved Coogee when I was in Australia 10 years ago but thinking maybe Maroubra will be cheaper rent wise but still in reasonable travel distance to the centre.

Am I missing a jewel in Sydney's crown of suburbs?

My dream is to live Northern Beaches but commutes to centre put me off, Mona Vale, Dee Why, Manly. So think they have to wait for a couple of years until I might be in position to work from home.

Thoughts/Suggestions/Experiences welcome

Moving to Sydney and looking at suburbs to rent in.

Eastern Suburbs seem like obvious choice.

I loved Coogee when I was in Australia 10 years ago but thinking maybe Maroubra will be cheaper rent wise but still in reasonable travel distance to the centre.

Am I missing a jewel in Sydney's crown of suburbs?

My dream is to live Northern Beaches but commutes to centre put me off, Mona Vale, Dee Why, Manly.

Maroubra is definitely cheaper than Coogee, but the commute can be painful - there are direct buses but at peak hour they are packed and the traffic can be at a standstill. Consider Randwick - not right on the beach so it's cheaper, and it's still easy to get to Coogee (I used to walk down and get a bus back up - steep hill!). Better shops than Coogee, two nice pubs and plenty of cafes. The commute from Randwick is about 40 minutes by bus at peak hour - the bus takes the Eastern Distributor so it's less likely to get caught in traffic jams.

Eastern Suburbs rent is expensive and there's a lot of competition. If you find it's too dear, take a look at Oatley. It's only a few stops on the train, or a short drive, to Cronulla - which is a great beach with all the cafes and restaurants you could wish for. 40 minutes on the train from Oatley to the CBD by train. Famous pub, nice cafes, village atmosphere, but may be too quiet for you?

You could even consider Cronulla to live. It has a similar lifestyle to the Eastern Suburbs at a cheaper price. The downside is the longer commute - but unlike the Northern Beaches it's on the train, not buses, so it's more predictable. You're right at the beginning of the line so you always get a seat which means you can get on with work or relax and read/surf. The train doesn't begin to fill up, even in peak hour, till Mortdale.

• 3 weeks later...

I just placed an apartment to lease in the rental section on Northern Beaches. It is at Curl Curl, which is near to Manly and serviced by Express bus to City (30-40 minutes). Beach is right across the road.

I live in the suburb and moved here 30 years ago. Wouldn't leave now.

Edited by prozac