Newbie introduction

BillW

Hello,

Bill the newb here.

Retired a few years ago in Victoria.

Have lived in Oz since 12yo and my wife has lived here for the the last 30 years

Currently investigating how much tax the UK system will charge us on my Australian super fund and my wifes self funded pension when we sell up and retire to Fife.

Best thing about Australia - Great Barrier Reef - should be a compulsory visit for all Aussies and tourists - snorkelling is amazing.

Bill

Welcome Bill. I concur re the Great Barrier Reef. Unfortunately this government will do irreparable damage to it.

What made you choose Fife? I have heard a few good things about Fife lately.

Easy access to all the facilities and shops in Edinburgh and far more bang for you buck when buying a house, pleasant easily accessible countryside and villages on the coast, also St Andrews seems like a pleasant place

Currently investigating how much tax the UK system will charge us on my Australian super fund and my wifes self funded pension when we sell up and retire to Fife.

Hi Bill and welcome.

It's not just the UK that will tax you - Australia may tax you, too, and that can be more of a problem. Self-managed super funds are taxed very heavily indeed if you become non-resident - I'm not sure what the situation is if it's already been converted to a pension, but it's vitally important to find out as it could cost her a LOT of money.

If you're already retired, have you converted your super to a pension or where are you at with it?

Have you already claimed the Australian government pension?

There's a similar discussion on this thread:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/174276-australian-super-taxed-uk-4.html

Edited by Marisawright

Welcome Bill. I concur re the Great Barrier Reef. Unfortunately this government will do irreparable damage to it.

What made you choose Fife? I have heard a few good things about Fife lately.

I hadn't realised Scotland was an option, but if it is, have you considered Stirling? Fife is pretty but it's a bit out of the way for my taste. Whereas Stirling is very central, it's a lovely town (with its own castle, of course!) and like most university towns, it has an extra vibe and more things going on.

When I lived there, I loved the fact that I could go to a ballet or concert in either Edinburgh or Glasgow by train. Sometimes it was a bit of a dash to get the last train after the show, but otherwise it was very easy. Plus of course, it meant I could easily pop in to either city for the museums and galleries or the big shops (though Stirling has a pretty good town centre of its own).

At the same time, it was a short drive to get to the Trossachs and some lovely easy walks.

Marisa,

Thanks for the suggestion. My wifes heart is set on St Andrews or thereabouts. All I want is a decent sized shed but it seems that in UK people dont have decent sheds like we have here. Am looking in vain for a small house with a big shed.

Am astonished at what houses cost in UK compared to rural Australia where I am (Gippsland) ................ I've threatened to hijack a spare bedroom in lieu of a decent shed but my wife isnt amused.

Yes am currently sorting through various super options & trying to understand ramifications of move to UK as discussed in the other thread, only got my wifes pensions running at the moment, mine are still accumulation will talk to aussie fin advisor and British tax accountants to sort out whats important to think about in all the possible combinations of options. Will leave detailed discussions of all that for the other thread.

Regards

Bill