Why do we feel like this?

BearnBob

I was going to say 'see if you can get a leave of absence from your job(s), and/or rent your house out' but I see that Quoll has already suggested this.

Emigrating is right up there in the top ten of 'most stressful things' to do, and perhaps it should be higher than it is, as it involves mutiple forms of stress! Moving house, starting a new job, as well as moving to another country.

But, I'd also say that the 'odds' are heavily stacked in your favour, i.e. that you WILL make a success of your move to Australia. Yes, many of us find it hard in the first few months, even years, but many also take to Australia, with very little stress. Maybe, if you think it is going to be great, it will be great. I don't know. What I do know is that only a minority, a noisy minority, perhaps, but a minority just the same, return 'home' (for good!) So, 'Bon Voyage!'

You are dong the right thing given your job and house situation. Don't look back for a moment- life is really, really good here if you are in a situation like you are. Don't listen to those who have had negative experiences- they are definitely in the minority. Enjoy yourselves and good luck!

Im in the same both except I dont have a family, initially I was so excited about doing it but now its getting closer Im getting cold feet. In a way I'd compare it to getting married, a massive decision that could either make your life complete or over time turn out to be a mistake, either way its a big decision and one you have to think long and hard about.

If the move is something your truely want in your heart you will go and whatever happens you will have those memories for the rest of life. Lets hope things work out for you over there, many succeed and leed happy lives in oz. :)

An update.

We have resigned and both feel elated. Truly excited by the challenges and opportunities ahead and touched by the reaction of our colleagues.

As Alexander Graham Bell once said “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”

Bear

Congrats Bear, hope the move is everything you dreamed it would be. Currently in the visa process myself and its a road of many ups and downs. Good luck xx

Archived