Are you a fascist?

paulv

Flirted with Conservatism for expediency? Why did he remain a Tory till the end of his life then.

If u want irony and hypocrisy then look to the fact that the modern left would have despised Churchill for a "warmonger" during the 1930s when their beloved policy of appeasement was all the rage. They would have turned on Chamberlain too for declaring an "Illegal" war on Hitler.

I always thought it amazing that Churchill was voted out of office only 3 or 4 weeks after the end of the war.

Having just led Britain to a wonderful victory and they turfed him out.

That's all true, and we probably needed a man like Churchill during the war itself, but once it was over, all those squaddies were sick of being ordered around for six years by officers they mostly did not respect.

Flirted with Conservatism for expediency? Why did he remain a Tory till the end of his life then.

If u want irony and hypocrisy then look to the fact that the modern left would have despised Churchill for a "warmonger" during the 1930s when their beloved policy of appeasement was all the rage. They would have turned on Chamberlain too for declaring an "Illegal" war on Hitler.

“I am an English Liberal. I hate the Tory Party, their men, their words and their methods.”

He served in many cabinet position in the Liberal Government before WWI. Only later did he defect to the Conservatives (describing himself as a 'rat'), but admitted he remained a Liberal at heart.

Archived