Bridging Visa B - help needed

beckdownunder

Hi all,

We are just in the process of applying for an 804 aged parent visa for Dad. He will need to head back to the UK to finalise his affairs, and then later in the year to NZ as we have a family wedding.

So, my question is, I know we need to apply for a bridging visa B so he can leave the country, but the immi website is a bit sketchy about the finer details of this bridging visa. Does anyone know what the terms would be? Are they likely to say give the visa for a year, but in this time Dad can be out of Oz for x amount of days, or is it more specific, like he can be out for the next X amount of days?

Thanks in advance,

Beck

Bridging visa B is given when someone is on another bridging visa and can show compelling cause to have to leave Australia. I'm not sure that putting affairs in order overseas after having applied for a parent visa onshore is going to cut it - but perhaps a conversation with a registered agent might give a firmer idea one way or another.

They generally last for three months. You can come and go as many times as you like in that time, as long as you are back before it expires.

Immigration used to be very strict on these, wanting proof of going to weddings etc, but the last few years they seem to have been pretty good. I went in and said I wanted to go visit a friend I'd not seen in three years and had no problem. I hadn't left the country for three years though.

They have relaxed a lot on BVB applications given the long waiting times, so you shouldn't have any issues. I don't see them spoken about on this forum a lot but another forum I frequent they have been handing out 6 month multi entry BVB's, never seen someone given any more than this. Will also depend on how far away your dad is from having his onshore visa granted.

we sent our form quite close to my partners departure (about two weeks out I think) and they were happy to give him a 6 month multi entry - we didn't need it in the end though because they granted our partner visa instead.

Thats great news - Thanks. Blossom, I know you are in Adelaide too - did you just hand your visa app in at the curry street immi office then? Were they quick to process?

We have a fairly tight timeline unfortunately......so hoping dad doesn't need to delay his pre booked flight back to UK - obv he will if he needs to, but not ideal.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Beck

Thats great news - Thanks. Blossom, I know you are in Adelaide too - did you just hand your visa app in at the curry street immi office then? Were they quick to process?

We have a fairly tight timeline unfortunately......so hoping dad doesn't need to delay his pre booked flight back to UK - obv he will if he needs to, but not ideal.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Beck

They process the BVB's in order of departure. I have seen people get a response within days of departing - but I have never seen anyone not get one in time.

I believe they like you to send them within a month of your departure.

We sent ours in a few weeks out and got a call from the Melbourne processing centre (where we sent the application) the following day.

They process the BVB's in order of departure. I have seen people get a response within days of departing - but I have never seen anyone not get one in time.

I believe they like you to send them within a month of your departure.

We sent ours in a few weeks out and got a call from the Melbourne processing centre (where we sent the application) the following day.

Thats great - thank you so much.

One last question....!

Dads parent visa will be dealt with at the parent center in Perth - so does the bridging visa app need to go to them too....or can any office jumo in and do it?

Thanks

Beck

Thats great - thank you so much.

One last question....!

Dads parent visa will be dealt with at the parent center in Perth - so does the bridging visa app need to go to them too....or can any office jumo in and do it?

Thanks

Beck

The BVB application form says any IMMi office.

Hello Beck.

Does your father have an ETA or eVisitor at the moment? When does it expire?

Are you sure he needs a BVB?

For reference: http://www.gm-parent-visas.com/aged-parent-visa-lodged-can-you-depart-australia-and-return/

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that information - really interesting.

Dad has an eVisitor that is valid until September....I had assumed (wrongly obviously) that this got autimatically cancelled when the BVA was issued with the 804.

Thanks

Beck