Enrolling children in uk school when leaving for Aus...

Bound4Tassie

Does anyone know if we would have to enrol our daughter to start school if we are planning to emigrate. I have a feeling we will.

If we have the visa granted but for example wanted to go in October, would she have to do a month of school / buy uniform etc? Seems a bit daft but I can imagine " that's the rule".

Or is there some way of saying we are due to emigrate?

Although OH is a teacher he doesn't know where we stand here and he can't ask at school as we don't wish to arouse suspicion just yet!

Does anyone know if we would have to enrol our daughter to start school if we are planning to emigrate. I have a feeling we will.

If we have the visa granted but for example wanted to go in October, would she have to do a month of school / buy uniform etc? Seems a bit daft but I can imagine " that's the rule".

Or is there some way of saying we are due to emigrate?

Although OH is a teacher he doesn't know where we stand here and he can't ask at school as we don't wish to arouse suspicion just yet!

January to October is not one month

UK schools start in September. October usually follows 1 month later.

Isn't it a legal requirement that they start school by age 5 ( or it used to be I think ) either way , I wouldn't bother if it were me. Even if the powers that be tried to intervine, by the time they set the wheels in motion you'd be long gone anyway.

Guest Chewitts

When does she turn 5 Bound4tassie? children do not have to be in education until the term after their fifth birthday in Uk :cute: Good luck!

UK schools start in September. October usually follows 1 month later.

So what are they doing January to September

In fact I really don't see where you would even be asking if they are due to start school in either September or October. If your migrating, many people are more concerned about the start time at the other end.

She would be due to start school in reception class in September 2016. We are likely to leave the UK sept/october of that year. My question was would she be required to be in school for the month of September if we weren't going until October. It seems she may be ok as she's not 5 until Nov.

I'm not concerned about her start at the other end - I've got that sussed.

It's more stress for her if she goes in and makes new friends and then you take her out of school after a few weeks. Personally, I wouldn't bother, but I would contact your local Education Authority and explain the situation to them and advise them.

It's more stress for her if she goes in and makes new friends and then you take her out of school after a few weeks. Personally, I wouldn't bother, but I would contact your local Education Authority and explain the situation to them and advise them.

That's what I think too. I'm hoping it works out that we go in September anyway. Depends when we can get visa application in and then when it is granted. Don't want to do it too early and have the expense of a validation trip before we are ready to migrate properly. I guess we still have to fill in the school application paperwork anyway. I think it's about now for Sept 2015 entry ? So this time next year, we'll be putting her name down for a place she'll most likely never take.

That's what I think too. I'm hoping it works out that we go in September anyway. Depends when we can get visa application in and then when it is granted. Don't want to do it too early and have the expense of a validation trip before we are ready to migrate properly. I guess we still have to fill in the school application paperwork anyway. I think it's about now for Sept 2015 entry ? So this time next year, we'll be putting her name down for a place she'll most likely never take.

she doesn't have to legally start school until the first term after her 5th birthday, so that would be Jan 2017. However I think it would make sense to fill in the application in case there is any delay in your move and in theory if your move is delayed to 2017 then you could start getting fined if she is not in full time education. If you get a 2016 date confirmed then just tell the school that she won't be starting but if it is going to be late December or something then it could well be worth her doing a term to get used to going to school. At that age they adapt very well and a move after a term is unlikely to have a big impact.

she doesn't have to legally start school until the first term after her 5th birthday, so that would be Jan 2017. However I think it would make sense to fill in the application in case there is any delay in your move and in theory if your move is delayed to 2017 then you could start getting fined if she is not in full time education. If you get a 2016 date confirmed then just tell the school that she won't be starting but if it is going to be late December or something then it could well be worth her doing a term to get used to going to school. At that age they adapt very well and a move after a term is unlikely to have a big impact.

I was going to say something similar - OP you haven't yet completed your application (don't know if you still also have to do the skills assessment), but there can be delays in the visa process and as we all know, immigration often move the goal posts and change the rules with little notice and those anticipating nearing visa grant have ended up waiting another 12 months. Additionally, your school may also be over

subscribed and if your child has to go to school because of a delay, you may find you can't get her in the one of your choice. I agree with the quote above - register and if you're leaving for Aus then tell them you no longer need the place

I will definitely enrol her (as in apply) but I'm not shelling out for uniform etc or sending her to a uk school for a few weeks. If it works out that we are here longer then of course she'll have to attend. It's a partner visa I'm applying for . There is talk of it taking 18 months now!! Though that seems to be unofficial / unconfirmed. Awkward at the moment for us as I'm on maternity leave & unable to save any money until I get back to work. Then it will be nose to the grindstone to earn enough in time to emigrate in Sept 2016!

Archived