189,190_Guidance Required

Prax007

Hello Experts,

I am relatively inexperienced member. Apologies if my questions look silly.

I am a software engineer with over 10 years of experience wishing to migrate to Australia. I got my skills assessed by 'Australian Computer Society(ACS)'. Also, done with my IELTS exam.

I have filled up my details in 'Expression of Interest(EOI)'. I would like to request the experts to let me know that the way ahead for me with respect to 189 & 190. Please explain what steps I need to follow going forward.

Thanks,

Prax

If you have a positive skills assessment from the ACS, at least 60 points on the points test, IELTS results, and have submitted an EOI, you can't do anything else until you receive an invitation to apply for a visa.

You must however be positive that you (and the EOI system) have calculated your points correctly. Note that the ACS deduct at least 2 and possibly more years of your experience before they consider you to be skilled and you can only claim work experience points for experience gained after your 'work at an appropriately skilled level' date so make sure you haven't claimed too many points - it's a VERY common mistake for people whose assessment authority is the ACS as their letter isn't easy to understand. The next invitation round is tomorrow (19th December) so make sure you check (and adjust if necessary) your points before Midnight AEDT on the 18th.

Hello Ozmaniac,

Many thanks for your suggestion. I did calculate my points correctly and have got 60 points and already submitted EOI.

However my doubt is, for 190, do i need to submit my EOI individually for each state or submitting one EOI in DIBP is enough? Please clarify

Do you have 60 points without counting any points for state sponsorship? If so, IMO you should only nominating a 189 as the visa you want to apply for as it has no strings attached and doesn't require you to meet any additional state requirements. If recent invitation rounds are anything to go by, 60 points will be enough to get you an invitation to apply for a 189 within the next couple of invitation rounds.

If you need state sponsorship points, you really should just select one state that has your occupation on its state list and where you will be prepared to live for at least a couple of years. It's possible to use a single EOI for several states but each state prefers an applicant to genuinely want to settle in their state and have a commitment to only that state. If you include several states (either on a single EOI or on several different ones) you are far less likely to get sponsorship from any of them.

Many Thanks Ozmaniac for your response. Your advises are clearing many of my doubts. Appreciate your valuable help.

I am not eligible for 189. I am reappearing for IELTS for better scores so that i will be eligible for 189.

However, i am eligible for state sponsored ones. As you suggested, i will submit EOI for each individual states and will await for the response.

If you select a state for sponsorship, first make sure that a) that state is sponsoring your occupation, and b) you meet the criteria set out by the state. Some states have additional criteria (e.g. in WA it's not uncommon to need a job offer already in order to be invited, or you may need a higher IELTS result).

Hello MaggieMay24,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I had submitted my EOI in DIBP for 'any' state sponsorship. As Ozmaniac suggested, I wanted to submit my EOI for couple of specific states. I could update my EOI for one state in DIBP skill select. However, if i wish to my EOI for another state, how should i do it? Is it updating it in the respective state websites? Kindly Clarify.

No Verystormy. I haven't got any state sponsorship yet. I had submitted my EOI for one state. I was wondering how can i submit EOI for another state? (This is just to increase my chances of getting state sponsored). Kindly clarify

Submitting an EOI for more than one state will reduce your chances of getting state sponsorship. Each state wants people who WANT to live and work in their state and submitting an EOI to another state shows that you lack commitment to their state.

If you want sponsorship by WA, you should be submitting an EOI for WA only and then must wait until they contact you.

For sponsorship by any other state, you should apply directly to that state for sponsorship and then submit an EOI for that state only.

You are wasting your time applying to any state that doesn't have your occupation on its list or if it is on their list, if you can't meet the specific state requirements.

Which states have your occupation on their list? Can you meet all of the special requirements imposed by that state?

Hi guys,

need your advice on something. My slef assessment is complete. Got 65 points without state nomination. Will be applying to NSW in february intake. if unsuccessful then will go for 189 immediately.

Will DIBP case any problem since i will be applying EOI twice, once for 190 and then 189 only if i get rejected by NSW.

thanks.

Hi guys,

need your advice on something. My slef assessment is complete. Got 65 points without state nomination. Will be applying to NSW in february intake. if unsuccessful then will go for 189 immediately.

Will DIBP case any problem since i will be applying EOI twice, once for 190 and then 189 only if i get rejected by NSW.

thanks.

If you really do have 65 points, why on earth would you bother applying for state sponsorship? If recent invitation rounds are anything to go by, anyone will even only 60 points will get an invitation to apply for a 189 within a couple of invitation rounds even if their occupation is pro-rated and 65 points will get anyone an invitation in the very next round.

The main question though, is do your really have 65 points? It's very easy to overestimate points if you don't fully understand the rules.

Ozmaniac,

let me show you my self assessment so you can advise if i meet points test.

English language: proficient, 7 in each band. Points 10

Skilled employment: 5years overseas skilled employment assesed by engineers australia. Points 10

qualification: bachelor degree assessed by engineers australia. Points 15

im from bangladesh and the reason i want 190 is coz its much faster than 189. My friends who applied 190 got grant in around 3 months whereas my other friends applied 189 got grant in 12 to 15 months.

Looking forward to your advice.

thanks

Your points look OK but you're mistaken about a 190 being faster than a 189. If someone's 189 took 12 or 15 months, it was nothing to do with the fact that the visa was a 189 and would have been due to external security checking or some other factor unrelated to the specific visa.

You're right ozmaniac. Im from bangladesh and as far as i know, our security checks are much more time consuming and detail than applicants from US, europe, malaysia, etc. so i just gotta decide now whether to go for 189 or 190.

coming back to my first post, pls let me know how to get british police clearance for my wife. She studied in UK.

Sorry, but I can't understand why you need to make a decision on whether to go for a 189 or a 190. If you have enough points for a 189, that's the one you should be going for. If you look at the Allocation dates, 189s are being allocated over a week earlier than 190s (not that that's a significant difference) and once allocated, the processing time will be exactly the same.

See the following for info on how to get a UK police clearance:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Locations/Pages/United-Kingdom.aspx

Archived