Changing Jobs - New Sponsor; When shall I quit?

essexscott

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice.

I am on a 457 visa which expired Oct 2017.

I have secured another role and they have not sponsored before. They are happy to follow the process.

The lawyer who handled my first 457 will be appointed.

I have been quoted 8 weeks and of course, it's not a confirmed acceptance from immigration.

I don't want to be unemployed nor so I want to pull the plug just in case. Saying that, when do you resign? If my new employer is accepted as a sponsor and my visa is transferred I would have to quit with no notice period thus meaning I lose my annual leave etc.

What has other people done, any advice for me?

If I walk out of my current job I burn bridges. After 2 years of headaches, under paid and messing around by my employer I feel I owe zero loyality however, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be here and want to do things correctly.

Thanks guy

A guy I work with had his 457 nomination transferred to our company shortly before I started. Once his nomination was approved, he gave his notice to his previous employer and started with us a month later. So I assume this is the acceptable way to do things but I've not looked into it myself.

I would like to think that is the case however, have a feeling that once the visa changes over I would be breaking the rules of the visa by staying with the current?

A guy I work with had his 457 nomination transferred to our company shortly before I started. Once his nomination was approved, he gave his notice to his previous employer and started with us a month later. So I assume this is the acceptable way to do things but I've not looked into it myself.

I'm on my phone so couldn't find the link where I got this information from, but few days ago I read somewhere that the 457 visa holder can complete the notice period with their original employer without being in breach of condition 8107 (after nomination with new employer is approved). Have a look online, I'm pretty sure you'll find it :)

I'm on my phone so couldn't find the link where I got this information from, but few days ago I read somewhere that the 457 visa holder can complete the notice period with their original employer without being in breach of condition 8107 (after nomination with new employer is approved). Have a look online, I'm pretty sure you'll find it :)

This is correct. Under policy: If a new nomination has been approved, 457 visa holder may be required to continue working for their previous sponsor to fulfil a requirement to give notice of termination of employment under industrial relations law. These 457 visa holders are not considered to be in breach of 8107 when they are seeking to act in accordance with requirements of industrial relations law.

That's great news. Thanks.

The company hasn't sponsored before so this will allow me to get then organised, hopefully get my 457 taken over and then resign.

Time for another post on current timeframes for the process to go through (if no issues arise)

thanks all

Archived