Agent says we're not good enough!!

loubylou475

Help!! We seem to have fallen at the first hurdle. We're hoping to migrate on a 176 (family-sponsored skilled) visa, my OH is a General Manager and we were initially looking at doing this without an agent but decided to contact Go Matilda. We looked thoroughly into it and OH's job seemed to fit all the criteria. But today they've got back to us and said that because he has no 'formal' qualifications, they don't think we would pass the skills assessment. So we now have his aunt waiting for us to contact her in NSW as she is sponsoring us but we're stuck as to what to do next!! Has this happened to anyone else??

Guest BRAMBLE

Hi, would it be an option for you to go over on a student visa. i.e train to be a hairdresser and your oh get a job? I know of a couple who have no skills to get across and couldn't get over on family sponsorship and so his wife went over on a student visa (no age limit apparently) and she is training as a hair dresser. They are wiating to sell their house and then he will follow over and then get a job.

Good luck!

Sarah.

Guest jogrant3232

Hi Lou, Keep your chin up as Im sure there is a way round it. They told us at first we may not be able to get a Visa but with a bit of research and determination we got round it, so keep positive.

" Where theres a will theres a way.."

Guest WelshDebzs
Help!! We seem to have fallen at the first hurdle. We're hoping to migrate on a 176 (family-sponsored skilled) visa, my OH is a General Manager and we were initially looking at doing this without an agent but decided to contact Go Matilda. We looked thoroughly into it and OH's job seemed to fit all the criteria. But today they've got back to us and said that because he has no 'formal' qualifications, they don't think we would pass the skills assessment. So we now have his aunt waiting for us to contact her in NSW as she is sponsoring us but we're stuck as to what to do next!! Has this happened to anyone else??

Hey there we are hopefully going on a student visa for 2yrs hubby going to college in Yeronga thats our only way in could this be an option for you its an expensive route in but ask them for details or look on the immigration site AU.

Good Luck

Debszx:wubclub:

Guest Stokey

Hi Loubylou

First hurdle, mmm sounds like me 12 months ago, I am a Development Manager no Qual's, got told i have no chance and aiming for either 175 or 176 visa, I went to an Oz expo and spoke with a company called "Absolute Immigration" they said we can get you to the stage of waiting for a visa, and Yes we are now just waiting for an answer.

However! i did not go as a manager as you need the Qual's does you or your OH have any other skills or Qual's? i.e what has he done for work before and how long ago?

I was lucky that i had done other jobs and had qual's and great employee statements for the work in those jobs, this you maybe required to source.

Hope this kind of helps, but dont give up. I was willing to sell my house to pay for me to retrain then apply if needed.

:idea:

Guest Flixy

Hi,

Unfortunately there are thousands of us affected by this, it's not just your job it's every trade. I don't know if i'm allowed to link to another site, but i'm sure the mods will remove it if not.

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications : British Expat Discussion Forum

We have been in limbo since September because of this and can't get an agent to take us on either, if the pathway does come back i'm sure they will be biting our hand off for our business!! The TRA has said that they are reviewing the pathways and will make an announcement before July 1st.

Good luck!

Was a student visa pathway mentioned to you as an alternative?

We have a factsheet on this subject if you are interested - send me an email if so (alan - at - gomatilda - dot - com) with Subject Line: Student Visa Factsheet

Best regards.

Hi Loubylou

First hurdle, mmm sounds like me 12 months ago, I am a Development Manager no Qual's, got told i have no chance and aiming for either 175 or 176 visa, I went to an Oz expo and spoke with a company called "Absolute Immigration" they said we can get you to the stage of waiting for a visa, and Yes we are now just waiting for an answer.

However! i did not go as a manager as you need the Qual's does you or your OH have any other skills or Qual's? i.e what has he done for work before and how long ago?

I was lucky that i had done other jobs and had qual's and great employee statements for the work in those jobs, this you maybe required to source.

Hope this kind of helps, but dont give up. I was willing to sell my house to pay for me to retrain then apply if needed.

:idea:

Yes, a student visa is an option for almost all who can't presently meet the requirements for a general skilled visa, but as you say, it isn't cheap as international student fees will apply.

Good luck!

Hi Loubylou

The Australian Institute of Management (AIM) are the assessors for General Manager and they set a vet high bar for their criteria. The main thrust of their criteria is that the applicant must have 5 years of very high level management experience as a GM. Relevant formal qualifications can cut down the 5 years to 4 or 3. So, if the only problem is not having relevant formal qualifications then the problem must be that the GM expeirence is less than 5 years at the moment.

For senior management positions under the GM, it is possible to get approved with AIM if the company has at least 600 employees and this is reflected in the responsibilities and management structure. This minimum 600 employees guideline does not apply to General Managers - by General Manager I mean the main manager who has overall responsibility for all functions of a business - would include CEO, MD, President and maybe board members.

So maybe your husband is not a General Manager but a senior funcional manager and therefore needs to be in a sizeable company to have any chance.

If you would like anything further clarified, feel free to pm me.

Regards

Archived